NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - heat sucks
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

heat sucks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
woodard2589

Posts per day: 0

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject:  heat sucks Reply with quote

The heat in my car sucks, at best it'll blow warm, never close to hot. I don't think the thermostat is sticking open because the gauge starts to move after a reasonable amount of time for how cold it is, and by looking at this forum, it seems to be getting warm enough on the gauge. The car usually won't go but a small amount over 1/4 way unless i let the car sit for 10 min idling after it's already reached the 1/4 mark, then it'll be at half way. The entire time i'm in my car i'm cold and friends complain as well, and it's been about 20 out lately so it's not like its ridiculous out. Is it normal for these cars to not actually blow hot? Or could my heater core not be flowing right? Thought about putting cardboard over the radiator as I've seen people mention on here to help it warm up faster. How much is usually covered?
Forgotten
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.11

2006 Dodge Charger

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

had this same problem, fixed it 2 days ago, flush out your heater core. if you dont know how or cant find a howto, pm me

http://www.photobucket.com/355camaro
78 Camaro Progress Album
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.61

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

How cold is it where you are located? When my t-stat was stuck wide open it would get up to the 1/4 mark while moving and would make it 1/2 way when I was stopped.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.97

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I agree on flush. My gauge sits at a notch above 1/4 now whilst driving. Also check you coolant level as well.

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
grimsin
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.4

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

with my fwi it takes longer but i get a touch over 1/4 mark but i blow some crazy hot air even at -15 celsius
woodard2589

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Was kinda figuring it was the heater core clogged if others don't have this problem so I suppose ill flush it tomorrow. Found one guide on it. Pretty much just need an adapter. Since its frozen out I can't use a garden hose but will do a funnel and a hose. Prob just get one that slides into the heater core hose. I tried to feel how hot the hoses were the other day but even after the car was up to temp, both radiator hoses were barely warm so didn't do any good. When you guys feel your heat blow is it actually hot where it almost is burning like some cars or just warm?
Forgotten
Resident
Resident

2006 Dodge Charger

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

after flushing mine, the air came out hot!!! i had to lower the heat it was getting so hot in the car, also you cant use a funnel and hose, need pressure, hose has to go directly into the core hose, no need for an adapter, i just held the garden hose to the heater core hose and turned it on

78 Camaro Progress Album
woodard2589

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

dont have a handbook for the car, assume i just need to leave the radiator cap off until the thermostat opens to bleed it afterwards?
Forgotten
Resident
Resident

2006 Dodge Charger

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

thats what i did yea, leave the cap off, then keep filling until full

78 Camaro Progress Album
MISHNAH
Master Level
Master Level

Posts per day: 0.64

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Mercedes-Benz E Class
2006 Nissan Murano
2003 BMW 5 Series

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

When was the last time the thermostat was replaced? Once they get old, they stick open and wont let the engine warm up completely. Since you're saying your engine isnt warming up fully, its more than likely your thermostat.

If you're worried about your heater core, warm the engine up and feel the 2 hoses going to the heater core with the heat off. If they feel about the same temp, the core is fine. If one hose is significantly hotter than the other, then the core is blocked.

To bleed the cooling system, keep filling the radiator with the engine running, then open the 2 bleed screws located on the engine until only water comes out. Our engines wont bleed themselves using just the radiator.

2002 Galaxy Silver Sedan - LS cluster - Debadged - Intrigue compass/autodim mirror - DIC - Regal graphite leather seats - LS console with floor shift conversion - Monte Carlo black leather steering wheel - LS springs - KYB GR-2 Struts - GMPP sway bars and rear STB - Fog light frontend harness - LS Bumper with fog lights - Painted trim and side skirts

2006 Nissan Murano - Autodim/compass mirror
2006 Mercedez-Benz E350 - Stock for stock, its faster than an SS, woot!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
woodard2589

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Was thinking it wasn't the thermostat because the operating temp seems to be what people have listed as normal. Its usually a notch or two above quarter. And I just bought the car a month ago so no idea when it was last changed
MISHNAH
Master Level
Master Level

Posts per day: 0.64

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Mercedes-Benz E Class
2006 Nissan Murano
2003 BMW 5 Series

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

woodard2589 wrote:
Was thinking it wasn't the thermostat because the operating temp seems to be what people have listed as normal. Its usually a notch or two above quarter. And I just bought the car a month ago so no idea when it was last changed

When you buy a used car, if it doesnt have any records, I'd go ahead and do a full tune-up regardless. I'd start with the thermostat, its cheap and a good idea for peace-of-mind.

Feel the hoses like I said, that tells a lot about the heater core.

2002 Galaxy Silver Sedan - LS cluster - Debadged - Intrigue compass/autodim mirror - DIC - Regal graphite leather seats - LS console with floor shift conversion - Monte Carlo black leather steering wheel - LS springs - KYB GR-2 Struts - GMPP sway bars and rear STB - Fog light frontend harness - LS Bumper with fog lights - Painted trim and side skirts

2006 Nissan Murano - Autodim/compass mirror
2006 Mercedez-Benz E350 - Stock for stock, its faster than an SS, woot!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
woodard2589

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I did once it was up to temp but none of the hoses even. From the radiator were hot. Gonna let it sit and idle for a bit and see if they get hot
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.97

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

woodard2589 wrote:
I did once it was up to temp but none of the hoses even. From the radiator were hot. Gonna let it sit and idle for a bit and see if they get hot

I would drive around a little too. That's what I did too bleed my system. Gets it up to proper operating temp IMO.

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
woodard2589

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Decided to flush the heater core and noticed the two hose ends that go to the motor are loose. ?. Turned out my garden hose had some water in it when it was removed and was froze. So I kept pouring water down the hoses and blew it out with compressed air. Some chunks of rust came out and I reconnected everything, this time with dif clamps to make it easier to remove again. after bleeding the system the heat is much better. Even let the car cool off for an hour or two again just to make sure it wasnt warm from just sitting idling for so long. But the heat at the 1/3 mark is as hot as it used to be at half way. half way is now third degree burn hot. The real test will be when i'm off work tonight when its much colder out, hopefully its just as warm. I didn't add any coolant back to it because i can't tell where the min and full marks are supposed to be at. i see a coolant symbol with an arrow that goes down to a line towards the bottom, which i'm guessing is the minimum amount, but where is the full amount? is it where the tank bulges out towards the motor?

Thanks for everyone's help. much appreciated
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: