NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - tell me how the hell to keep my wipers up!!!!!
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

tell me how the hell to keep my wipers up!!!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saliva2002

Posts per day: 0.02

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:12 am    Post subject: Question tell me how the hell to keep my wipers up!!!!! Reply with quote

ok, on all my other cars i could make the wiper arms stand up, to keep them off of the windshield during the winter to keep from breaking the blades, sticking to the windshield, etc......

but with my 05 impala i can't do that because they just don't, and they won't clear the hood, even if they could. does anyone have a trick for keeping them off of the windshield?

at this point i think i must resort to just using wooden blocks to put under the arms, but i thought maybe someone might have a better idea to share!!!
Specter
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.48

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:21 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Turn them on, once they're up kill the power.

saliva2002

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

i got that much figured out, i need to keep them UP AND OFF of the windshield, as in, not touching the windshield
hawkdoc60

Posts per day: 0.01

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I would pull them up off the windshield and wedge something under the arm near the base to keep them off.

01 Impala, 9C1, 155K
Specter
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.48

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

hawkdoc60 wrote:
I would pull them up off the windshield and wedge something under the arm near the base to keep them off.

THIS ^^^^

I use a cloth. Once I get the blade off the arm, put a cloth under it so nothing will scratch at the windshield.

labriola
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.36

2005 Chevrolet Impala
2003 Chevrolet Cavalier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:12 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

as quick as you do all that u may as well just push the release button and take them off... lol

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

well i think we're having a mis-communication here. I want to keep the blades on the arms, but keep them off the windshield during the winter when we are expecting snow/ice, because if they freeze to the windshield, it could ruin the blade itself....... so i dont' want to remove them from the vehicle lol, i may need them Smile
impalafirst
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.1

2014 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:07 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Our cars don't do that. I miss having the ability to prop my blades up in the air when I know it is going to snow or be freezing rain.
lostwrench
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.07

2004 Chevrolet Impala
2009 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

It depends on which year Impala you have.
I can lift the wipers into the off the windshield position on my 09 but not on my wife's 04.
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.36

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:56 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

On 00-05 models, the arms are too far down in the cowls to stand them up from resting position.

Don't turn the wipers on and shut the power off when they are up on the windshield. As soon as you start the car, they will continue moving and you'll ruin the blades, arms, or bend a peice in the motor which will leave your wipers "up" when you shut them off (you don't want this, it's because of damage to the car, and you can't put them down in the cowl again until you repair the bent part)

Your best bet is to carry a peice of 2x4 or doweling, etc. to prop under the wiper arms when they are resting. This will keep the blades off your windshield and you can just remove it when you are cleaning the car off.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
davidhoutz
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.28

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Arts and crafts. Take two pieces of cardboard two inches wide by however long. Wrap them in clear packing tape...helps water proof them. Put them under the blades. When not in use fold in half and put under your seat. Also helps keep any snow and ice from collecting up where the blades sit. All you have to do is clear the windshield above the wipers. It works rather well. Wink
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 2.01

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Unfortunately, two year ago these thing happened too me. Went to turn the wipers on and the driver side wiper blade snapped off. Sad Now I just park it in the garage for the winter. No broke wipers or shakey wheels FTW! Very Happy

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
TSS
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.57

2010 Lincoln MKS
2014 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

PushrodPower wrote:
Unfortunately, two year ago these thing happened too me. Went to turn the wipers on and the driver side wiper blade snapped off. Sad Now I just park it in the garage for the winter. No broke wipers or shakey wheels FTW! Very Happy

So, it looks like you can go with the cardboard idea or build a garage as I see it. Six of one, a half dozen of the other. j/k

Changing blades must be a small pain if the wipers on pre 06 models do not fold up. Certinly doable, but not all that convenient. I don't remember ever having a car that they would not stay in the up position.

Another idea: Take the top of a rubbermaid storage container and cut two pieces to use like the cardboard idea. Eliminates soggy wet cardboard smell and will last forever.

2010 Buick Enclave CXL - bone stock;
2010 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost - V6 AWD Twin Turbo; Livernois Motorsports Tuned, 0 to 60 in 3.90 seconds;
2014 Impala Limited LTZ
2009 Impala SS (SOLD)
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.66

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Lingenfelter wrote:

Don't turn the wipers on and shut the power off when they are up on the windshield. As soon as you start the car, they will continue moving and you'll ruin the blades, arms, or bend a peice in the motor which will leave your wipers "up" when you shut them off (you don't want this, it's because of damage to the car, and you can't put them down in the cowl again until you repair the bent part)

Been there... done that. Riding around with wipers in the up position for a few days during the middle of winter sucks.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

Posts per day: 2.36

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

It's not convenient, but a couple of PVC tubes would probably do a pretty good job.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: