NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Tranny question
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Tranny question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
espee2011

Posts per day: 0.02

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:39 am    Post subject:  Tranny question Reply with quote

So I am a bit worried about all the posts people put up about their transmissions failing here on the forum. It seems like its pretty inevitable, but I was wondering after reading about all the remanned trannies people take chances on, why not go to a junk yard and get a tranny from a donor Impala or W-body? Better yet, would it be possible to get a donor tranny from any other GM stablemates that shared the same model tranny (albeit without the same gearing)?
Conner
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.11

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:46 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

its me again. sometimes yea and sometimes no. because there is no telling the mileage on most junkyard vehicles. nor is there a way to determine if the tranny was abused or how the car was driven. can't even determine if they took care of the tranny by keeping the fluids changed. so a junkyard tranny is kinda of a risky move. you have 45k on your dash i recommend you keep your fluids changed and keep your tranny healthy. she will appreciate it in the long run.
bbengineer
NAIOA Owner / Webmaster
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.13

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Chevrolet Corvette
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe
2008 Subaru Impreza
1970 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:47 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

For what purpose? You have no idea what the condition of the salvage tranny is and if it's any better than what's in the car

None of the 4T65E trannies in any GM vehicle are any more durable than the others (aside from some small improvements in 03 or 04)

Unless you have a rebuild done that addresses the inherent deficiencies, you will always be on borrowed time w/ this tranny

BBEngineer

Decisions...Decisions...
espee2011

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:02 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You also have the risk of problems popping up on a reman tranny after paying 2300 dollars to go through with the procedure.
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.66

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:05 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

That's why you make sure to get a rebuilt unit that fixes the weak links (IE a Triple Edge Transmission).

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
bbengineer
NAIOA Owner / Webmaster
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.13

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Chevrolet Corvette
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe
2008 Subaru Impreza
1970 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:05 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

espee2011 wrote:
You also have the risk of problems popping up on a reman tranny after paying 2300 dollars to go through with the procedure.

When you pay for a reman tranny (from GM), you get a 100K mile warranty...

When you buy a reman tranny (that addresses the factory shortcomings, not just replaces the same crappy parts) from an expert (IE: TripleEdgePerformance), you don't have problems

BBEngineer

Decisions...Decisions...
saliva2002

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:17 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

ok, i havn't seen any posts before this regarding bad tranny's so here are my questions. i bought my 05 in 05 as a used rental with 10k on it. I was hoping that with 10k it shouldn't have been beat too bad, although i know how some people abuse rentals, so i'm not ignorant when it comes to that, just hopeful.

knock on wood i havn't had any problems with the tranny yet, but just wondering how long these trannys last before having problems, if maintained properly throughout its life, and also if it was "abused" for the first 10k of its life and then babied after that, which i do now.

thanks!
labriola
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.36

2005 Chevrolet Impala
2003 Chevrolet Cavalier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

saliva2002 wrote:
ok, i havn't seen any posts before this regarding bad tranny's so here are my questions. i bought my 05 in 05 as a used rental with 10k on it. I was hoping that with 10k it shouldn't have been beat too bad, although i know how some people abuse rentals, so i'm not ignorant when it comes to that, just hopeful.

knock on wood i havn't had any problems with the tranny yet, but just wondering how long these trannys last before having problems, if maintained properly throughout its life, and also if it was "abused" for the first 10k of its life and then babied after that, which i do now.

thanks!

my 05's went the first time at 40k

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

bbengineer wrote:
espee2011 wrote:

When you pay for a reman tranny (from GM), you get a 100K mile warranty...

When you buy a reman tranny (that addresses the factory shortcomings, not just replaces the same crappy parts) from an expert (IE: TripleEdgePerformance), you don't have problems

BBEngineer

Good points, I'll take my reaming there Smile
MISHNAH
Master Level
Master Level

Posts per day: 0.64

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Mercedes-Benz E Class
2006 Nissan Murano
2003 BMW 5 Series

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Some people's trannies go out while still under warranty, others last 250k miles. Mine has had its share of fun and runs great at 175k.

Its a crapshoot really, it can fail at any time for any reason. Regular fluid and filter changes will "help" extend the life, but if you get enough miles on any trans, auto or manual, you will eventually have to do a clutch job or a rebuild. Neither trans is maintenance or trouble-free for life Laughing

EDIT: I wouldnt trust a junkyard trans unless the mileage was visible, or you remove the cluster and power it up with a 12v adapter and read the mileage, and the mileage was very low or under 100k or so.

2002 Galaxy Silver Sedan - LS cluster - Debadged - Intrigue compass/autodim mirror - DIC - Regal graphite leather seats - LS console with floor shift conversion - Monte Carlo black leather steering wheel - LS springs - KYB GR-2 Struts - GMPP sway bars and rear STB - Fog light frontend harness - LS Bumper with fog lights - Painted trim and side skirts

2006 Nissan Murano - Autodim/compass mirror
2006 Mercedez-Benz E350 - Stock for stock, its faster than an SS, woot!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.96

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

MISHNAH wrote:
Some people's trannies go out while still under warranty, others last 250k miles. Mine has had its share of fun and runs great at 175k.

Its a crapshoot really, it can fail at any time for any reason. Regular fluid and filter changes will "help" extend the life, but if you get enough miles on any trans, auto or manual, you will eventually have to do a clutch job or a rebuild. Neither trans is maintenance or trouble-free for life Laughing

EDIT: I wouldnt trust a junkyard trans unless the mileage was visible, or you remove the cluster and power it up with a 12v adapter and read the mileage, and the mileage was very low or under 100k or so.

Even at 100 thousand miles a junkyard trans has a good likelihood of being crap. If you are set on a junkyard trans, personally I wouldn't get one with more that like 20xxx or at most 30xxx on it and make sure to check the fluid before you take it

Posts per day: 0.01

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Knock on wood, 140K on my 2005 9C1. Had 107K of hard earned police duty miles and 33K miles of my punishment. Still going strong and still shifts nice and tight. I really dig the 3.29 ratio, makes it a fun toy, always in the power band of the 3800.

TJ
Danny_9C1
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.2

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Chevrolet Tahoe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

^ Most police departments will have the transmissions serviced when needed,unlike many civi Impala's that may never see a tranny service....

Also while in service,if the trans pop's then it is replaced.So your ex-police Impala may have 140K on it,but its a good chance your trans may only have 50K on it.

My ex-police Tahoe has 143K miles on it.However when i had the trans serviced the tech commented that my trans look to be a GM reman and was in outstanding condition.

My last '04 9C1 Impala ran and drove great with 107K on it.However it does seem to help somewhat that the Police tune gives slightly firmer shifts reducing slippage.

1999 Chevy Z56 Tahoe PPV.2004 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor,
2007 Chevy 9C1 Impala.
scott2173

Posts per day: 0

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

ive had only on problem with my tranny which was a easy to me fix (wipe the codes) but it decided one day to throw a code that said i was towing to much weight (i dont even have a hitch) and it was shifting into every gear like a shift kit in a 69 nova
Fearless2005
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.07

2009 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I've had 3 Impalas and all 3 have had bad tranny issues. Kinda disappointing but every car has some sort of flaw.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: