NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Oil at transmission pan lip
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Oil at transmission pan lip

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ken729
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.04

2000 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject:  Oil at transmission pan lip Reply with quote

Need some help with a minor oil leak. I've got a 2000 LS with slight seepage of oil showing up at the very back lip of the transmission pan - just below the fill tube. At first I thought it was transmission fluid but it's definetly oil. My LIM is new 20k miles ago (aluminum) and so is the UIM and valve cover gaskets. Brought it to a local garage who also said it was oil and probably the rear valve cover leaking. Problem is that when I check it, it's totally dry to the touch all the way around. LIM edges look dry too. Any ideas where the possible areas are this could be coming from? I'm hoping the outside temps this weekend get better than the 15 degrees we have now so I can look at it again. Thanks.
Baywing
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.06

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I've had oil changes at the dealer for years and they are slobs. I have found oil all the way around the tranny pan from the oil and filter changes. Every 6 months I get under there and wipe it down. If you look at the filter and drain plug locations, they aren't positioned for neatness. Airflow from forward motion tends to move it to the back.
ken729
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2000 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thanks for your input - I can see how that can happen. I'm also seeing a splash of oil -maybe from the filter being spilled or the pan gasket - on the bracket above the front right motor mount. I'm wondering if this also could be getting slung by the air movement in that area. I cleaned everything up and will monitor it this week.
Baywing
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.06

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The entire right side of mine is all old oil, the engine cradle and most of the suspension. I thinks from the filter removal, though the drain plug points there too. I wipe mine down a couple of times a year. I've tried to get the dealer to clean up after they change the oil, but at $22 I guess I'm lucky that I get a new filter and new oil.
I'd say if the oil level in the crankcase isn't dropping too fast, it isn't a leak. My 2000 LS used about 1/2 qt per 3K miles when new. At 200K, it's using about 1 qt per 3k miles, so I'm not doing too bad. That's worst case in warm weather, cold weather consumption is less, also less with 10-30 than 5-30. As others have said elsewhere, stick with 10-30.
ken729
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2000 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thanks for that info. I use 10w-30 also - when I do the oil changes, but I know the area dealers use 5w-30. Mine has 142k miles on it and I lose about 1/8 qt - and sometimes less, every 3000 miles. Ever since the LIM was replaced I haven't had to add oil between changes. After looking at it this morning again real quick it appears like the oil pan gasket is leaking downward slightly and causing wind blown oil and the splash on the bracket.. It's not that bad but even one small drip a day looks bad after a while on the driveway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: