NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Is my impala worth working on?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Is my impala worth working on?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VladdyLS
Cadet
Cadet

Posts per day: 0.02

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Question Is my impala worth working on? Reply with quote

Hey guys i have a 01 Impala LS with 156,000 km on it and i was just wondering if i should keep putting money in it (got about 3k worth in it so far, mostly pointless things i.e rims,window tint and a sound system) . Dont get me wrong i absolutley adore this car but i have to be realistic i want to know if it is too late to mod it performance wise.
labriola
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.36

2005 Chevrolet Impala
2003 Chevrolet Cavalier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

i wouldnt. Put the money into maintenence and drive it into the ground

Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.53

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:56 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

No way its not to late i got my car at 117000kms and started its never to late but its up to you really.... do you take care of it? if you do it will last for atleast another 150000 200000 klicks? imo do it

billy101 wrote:
Conner wrote:
how do the dealer's expect us to get the cars there if they don 't run at all?

Tow Truck?
Frank4202
Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.77

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1997 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Almost any vehicle will last as long as you keep up on regular maintenance. I just hit 85,000km on my Impala before I parked it for the winter and I haven't had any serious problems with her.

Sold 28/10/11
Dan
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.33

1991 Jeep Cherokee

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Number 1 rule of beaters: don't pour money into your beater.

Change the oil, keep up on the fluids, yada yada yada.

Killr68
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 0.08

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

i intend to keep mine and mod her till i die....either that or the end of the world, whichever comes first. Laughing its up to how you feel about the car. its your money, do what you want with it
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.36

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Everyone has their own opinion and spending threshold.

I would say go for it, but don't go crazy with it. The car is basically 10 years old now, even if the miles are not high, materials and components still age.

At that point I would say maybe a decent exhaust and intake, but I wouldn't go into things like adding an M90 or something that extravagant.

I want to point out he said 156,000 kms, not miles. That's only 100,000 miles.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Arvetus
Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.57

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Never too late for exhaust or intake or brakes, something like that. I think I finally did a u-bend delete around 140,000 or 150,000 miles (not km). I had them do it when my resonator went.

As far as the major performance mods, I don't know. Putting money into a car is like remodeling a sinking ship. That's just the way cars are. However, if you keep up on it, it will give you many more years of life.

However, since you are from Canada, do they use road salt in the winter? If so, even though the miles still considered "low," the car is in fact 10 years old and the wear and deterioration that salt and road chemicals put on your underbody is enormous.

RIP 10/23/2010, 191,197 miles - traded on a 2003 Tahoe Z71
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
habermehl
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.53

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Arvetus wrote:
Never too late for exhaust or intake or brakes, something like that. I think I finally did a u-bend delete around 140,000 or 150,000 miles (not km). I had them do it when my resonator went.

As far as the major performance mods, I don't know. Putting money into a car is like remodeling a sinking ship. That's just the way cars are. However, if you keep up on it, it will give you many more years of life.

However, since you are from Canada, do they use road salt in the winter? If so, even though the miles still considered "low," the car is in fact 10 years old and the wear and deterioration that salt and road chemicals put on your underbody is enormous.

i dont know my underbody is amazing i underoil it every fall and my body is rusting on the fenders and my undercarridge* looks new?

billy101 wrote:
Conner wrote:
how do the dealer's expect us to get the cars there if they don 't run at all?

Tow Truck?
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.36

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Arvetus wrote:

Hell yeah they use salt. Underbody coating your car annually is not really that unusual and offers significant protection against corrosion.

That being said, the bottom edge of two of my doors are developing rust and it's starting to piss me off.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
VladdyLS
Cadet
Cadet

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:19 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thanks for the insights, i actually decided to keep her in the garage until i finish up with College and just take the bus (only 15 mins awy) so i dont put any more KMs on her. In response to the roads, yea they use salt but i have the car rust proofed every year and i do have access to a lift and a shop and nothing gets past the watchful mechanic eye of my dad Laughing

i have no intention of doing an engine swap or whatnot but a new exhaust system and stuff like that is reasonable. I did replace all the pads with ceramic ones and changed to rotors as well so at least that is out of the way
braunsHizzle

Posts per day: 0.01

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:01 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Great, I've got a 2000 Impala LS with 130,XXX (Something) KMS on it. It's been taken care of by GM since it was assembled in Ottawa 10 years ago.

Undercoated when needed (Yes the damn salt takes it's toll on the body), my car's been undercoated almost yearly, the undercarriage looks like the day it rolled off the assembly line, but the body is not the same, minor chips here and there from Highway *cough* big chunks of salt and sand/rock *cough*.

Anyway, I'd say as long as you upkeep on your car and don't ... run it into the ground, or plan to, go for it. I've got new lights planned (and some ordered) all around (including the interior lights), I have a set of rear lights being tinted, a nice exhaust ordered, new paint job soon (around spring hopefully), tinted 15% all around, a super sexy audio system in it, upgraded alternator.

Just do the required maintenance and a bit more Wink

Ohh also, I don't know if where anyone else lives in Ontario but in Niagara Falls and most of the Niagara Region, they've begun using a beet brine with some other stuff for the highways, it smells horrible, but works wonders on the roads, is biodegradable and doesn't ruin your car (:
Kenmo
Cadet
Cadet

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I own a 50 year old Corvette (1960) and a friend owns a 58 Impala and neither of us are concerned about age of the vehicle...

But my 2000 Impala maybe another story....

So if you envision keeping your '01 as a recreational or summer only fun car, I wouldn't think twice BUT if it's your daily driver it maybe time to just do the upkeep...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: