NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Am I on to something?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Am I on to something?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conner
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.11

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Idea Am I on to something? Reply with quote

I got a 9C1, and not having my horn working through my steering wheel is very aggravating. I'm currently running a horn button. If I'm not mistaken don't cops press the horn button through their steering wheels in order to make their siren go whoo whoop? I found two thick wires probably between 10-8 gauge behind my grille just dangling there. Could these wires be used to tap into the horn similar to the way I have done already? I noticed that they have been used to tap into the harness under the overflow bottle run from the wire harness underneath the overflow bottle to the front of the vehicle. There are also two wires that have been snipped and I think they may have something to do with the horn as well.....any input guys I'm gonna take some pics to upload.

http://img813.imageshack.us/i/img1032u.jpg/
http://img809.imageshack.us/i/img1033v.jpg/
http://img502.imageshack.us/i/img1031b.jpg/
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.96

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Police cars have controls where you're center console would be. In this set of controls there is a slider switch for sirens. Usually something like 5 different level you can switch it to. This is how you control the siren/lights, not through the horn.

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

yea i know that
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Conner wrote:
yea i know that

Then why did you ask?

Conner wrote:
If I'm not mistaken don't cops press the horn button through their steering wheels in order to make their siren go whoo whoop?

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

i know how lights are controlled obviously the horn would magically control everything. im asking if it controls the siren which makes a quick chirp. my friend has a charger and that's what his does.
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

00impala123 wrote:
Police cars have controls where you're center console would be. In this set of controls there is a slider switch for siren. Usually something like 5 different level you can switch it to. This is how you control the siren/lights, not through the horn.

The crown vics that I have driven/riden in have all been controlled through the panel of switches..never through the horn. Not so sure about the impala but idk why they would be any different.

Posts per day: 0.01

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

00impala123 wrote:
Police cars have controls where you're center console would be. In this set of controls there is a slider switch for sirens. Usually something like 5 different level you can switch it to. This is how you control the siren/lights, not through the horn.

This
20SS07
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.66

2009 Toyota Tacoma

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Actually a lot of times it's set up to run the siren on manual mode through the horn, in addition to having the normal controls. So the OP's car could have very well be set up in that manner.

Jesus created the internet and puppies and dandelions and kittens and sunny days and lollipops and impalas and turbochargers and pizza and beer and wings and boobies and blowjobs and pizza and pizza and pizza and beer and snow days and football and cheerleaders and drag radials and nascar and everything else that's awesome.

whitelightnin04MC wrote:
It's hard to find retards of this quality in such masses. It's truly amazing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 2.01

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

20SS07 wrote:
Actually a lot of times it's set up to run the siren on manual mode through the horn, in addition to having the normal controls. So the OP's car could have very well be set up in that manner.

Like on GTA? Very Happy

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
blackkodiak18

Posts per day: 0.01

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

It's not uncommon for police vehicles to be configured to use the factory horn button as siren manual (which will produce the momentary chirp of the siren) and/or the air horn.

The fact that your horn does not work would indicate that most likely your Impala was setup in such a manner and the wires were never spliced back together to restore the factory function of the horn button.

Judging by the location of the wires you are talking about I don't think they would be for the horn, at the very least they would be used to feed a siren speaker but tapping into them won't give you any control over the factory horn as the other ends are also likely not connected to anything. They are most likely left over from department specific equipment that the stock 9C1 wiring did not provide for but you would need to find where the wires go in order to have any more conclusive idea as to what they were used for.

00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

20SS07 wrote:

Huh..I've been in a police car several times a week for two years and never once used this lol. My guess is a lot of the times its set up this way and other departments don't use it.

Come to think of it..I've never even hit the horn to see if it's like that or not, I just flip the siren switch on and off for that..probably a big fail on my part lol

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.06

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

[/quote]

Huh..I've been in a police car several times a week for two years and never once used this lol. [/quote]

Kinda hard to hit the horn button from the back seat, huh? Twisted Evil
Sorry, dude, it had to be said..... Wink
REDLINE
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.36

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2000 GMC Sierra
2001 Chevrolet S10
1994 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

PushrodPower wrote:
20SS07 wrote:

Like on GTA? Very Happy

Now I'm in the mood to bust that out Laughing

Senior Level
Senior Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Baywing wrote:

Huh..I've been in a police car several times a week for two years and never once used this lol. [/quote]

Kinda hard to hit the horn button from the back seat, huh? Twisted Evil
Sorry, dude, it had to be said..... Wink[/quote]

Haha I am always in the front thank you very much lol

Posts per day: 0

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I am not sure from the pics but the 2 wires you have pictured look like the wires that supply power to the battery hot post on the passenger side in the trunk. I cannot remember the exact color for the horn wires but all the police package wiring drops out of the bottom corner of the passenger side of the dash. There is a big relay you can hook into to use the horn to control the siren. Hopefully this helps. If you need more specific info let me know and I will dig out the manual and can send you the wire colors and sizes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: