NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - 2003 Impala Base purchase possible...questions
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

2003 Impala Base purchase possible...questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ptrfair
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.13

2007 Chevrolet Impala
2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject:  2003 Impala Base purchase possible...questions Reply with quote

Hi,

Might be picking up a 2003 Impala Base for a daily driver.
I have my 2007 SS however with the job becoming full time i'll be driving 22,000 miles per year and I'd rather that not go on the SS.

The car's been in the family since day one...it was my aunt's and my Pop took it for a little while. He doesnt need it.
The common problems the car has is that the AC needs to be recharged every spring, we cannot find the leak.

It also has the cassette only radio. If i go to a JY and pickup a factory with CD option....did chevy make one that plays MP3's for the car, or am i better off with my old Alpine? Would that affect the security system like my 2007?

How reliable and what are the common engine problems of the 3.4L? Longevity?
I know that the 3.8 had coolant issues with LIM and UIM gaskets...I had 2 Bonnevilles. that was a good time LOL.

Thanks all,

2007 Impala SS - 75k
2009 Acura TL - 25k - Its nice Smile
2003 Impala 3400 - Gone, Still in the family
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.94

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The 3.4 had the gasket issues as well. Mine has been good too me except the head gaskets need replaced, but that's extremely rare. I can't really think of much else.

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
ptrfair
Dedicated
Dedicated

2007 Chevrolet Impala
2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I should then mention that the car has 95,000 miles.
Is there a "How to" guide on replacing the gaskets? on these engines.

I really want another 3.8L but this is the card I'm being delt...

2007 Impala SS - 75k
Arvetus
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.55

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

There is a write up but there are no pics...
http://www.naioa.com/v2/module.....amp;t=3354

If you need another radio, I have one for sale in the for sale section I'd be glad to sell ya. It doesn't do MP3's, but it is a super clean radio Smile AM/FM/CD/Satellite ready. Minor button wear on the edge of the "band" button. PM me if you are interested...

I am not certain if Delphi Electronics made a radio with MP3 or not. Seems as though there was one floating around somewhere that someone installed in their Impala. Think it came from a Venture or a Trailblazer or something.

Edit:
here it is!! http://www.naioa.com/v2/module.....mp;t=40397

It was in the Venture and the Cavalier. If this is what you're really wanting and at the same time, keep the stock look, this is what you need to look for...otherwise you can buy mine without the MP3 option and help me gain a 6" x 8" spot on my shelf Smile

RIP 10/23/2010, 191,197 miles - traded on a 2003 Tahoe Z71
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Wintermute
Member Level
Member Level
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 0.29

2005 Chevrolet Impala
2003 Ford Ranger

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The 3400 is almost guaranteed to have the LIM Gasket problem. My '05 had the "redesigned" gaskets from the factory…it still leaked.

I followed this write-up. There are some minor packaging differences between the Grand Am and Impala so things may be in slightly different places (like engine mounts).

Arvetus
Senior Level
Senior Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

even the 3800 can have the same issue. I had the dealer do both upper and lowers on mine at 99,9xx miles, just before my 100k warranty ran out Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ptrfair
Dedicated
Dedicated

2007 Chevrolet Impala
2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Okay so I have a few more questions: I bought the car, its being tuned up, inspected and so on.

1. is the 3400 like a minature 3800 more or less?
2. Spark plugs...what's the best kind for this engine?
3. can the odometer with a tachometer be swapped into this car and have full function? It has the standard cluster (Fuel/Speed/Temp).

Im going to look for an aftermarket HU...any suggestions? Alpine?

Oh, and more of an insurance topic: Since the SS will become a weekend car, would I be foolish in requesting a reduced rate? I'll put maybe 100 miles on it per week. THe Daily will be my 03.

Thanks!!! Cool

2007 Impala SS - 75k
Arvetus
Senior Level
Senior Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:05 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

ptrfair wrote:

1. is the 3400 like a minature 3800 more or less?
2. Spark plugs...what's the best kind for this engine?
3. can the odometer with a tachometer be swapped into this car and have full function? It has the standard cluster (Fuel/Speed/Temp).

Im going to look for an aftermarket HU...any suggestions? Alpine?

Oh, and more of an insurance topic: Since the SS will become a weekend car, would I be foolish in requesting a reduced rate? I'll put maybe 100 miles on it per week. THe Daily will be my 03.

Thanks!!! Cool

1.) no, it's a completely different engine
2.) OEM. ACDelco iridiums I think they are ...
3.) Yes - you can swap an LS cluster (fuel/temp, speed, tach) and it will work. You can swap a monte SS cluster (fuel/temp/volt/oil, speed, tach) and everything will work except the oil pressure. The 3400 doesn't have an oil pressure sender. Lots of discussion on this here. Do some searches for more specific info.

I'm not big into aftermarket HU's. I like the stock look and integrate my aux and XM accessories into the OEM HU's. Can't help you there.

Never hurts to ask for a reduced rate for anything. You never know until you ask. If you tell them your plans with the car, they may give you a reduced rate.

milwaukee_01impala
Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.66

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Chevrolet Express

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:06 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

i know im a little late but fwiw i just turned 140,842 on the clock on my 3400. i had the lim gaskets done at like 80-90k. other than that its been good to me. and i dont have to worry about the abs/tcs. i dont have either. you might be able to find a ls cluster cheaper than a ss cluster. i swapped mine to a ls cluster.

interior/exterior:BBEngineering led LS cluster,BBEngineering led HVAC control,BBEngineering DRL/ALC bypass,quad headlights,impala embroidered floormats,20%tint,auto ventshade vent visors,LED tail lamps/front turn signals,LED interior/reverse/license plate lights,silverstar hi/lo beams,turn signal mirrors,aftermarket moonroof,17" Helo slick rims
ptrfair
Dedicated
Dedicated

2007 Chevrolet Impala
2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

nope....not too late. I am picking the car up today actually.
Im gonna leave the cluster alone for now. everything works. its the daily driver. my baby is at home in early retirement. lol Laughing

Im now entertaining the idea of a CD changer - only because i found the mother load of my parents old 80's tapes. The car has a tape player. Score!! hahahaaaa

2007 Impala SS - 75k
Arvetus
Senior Level
Senior Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

if you can pick up an OEM changer, the connector for it is in the trunk...plug and play Smile

11ellswray
Cadet
Cadet

Posts per day: 0.02

2001 Chevrolet Impala
1986 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

quote]

1.) no, it's a completely different engine
2.) OEM. ACDelco iridiums I think they are ...
3.) Yes - you can swap an LS cluster (fuel/temp, speed, tach) and it will work. You can swap a monte SS cluster (fuel/temp/volt/oil, speed, tach) and everything will work except the oil pressure. The 3400 doesn't have an oil pressure sender. Lots of discussion on this here. Do some searches for more specific info.

I'm not big into aftermarket HU's. I like the stock look and integrate my aux and XM accessories into the OEM HU's. Can't help you there.

Never hurts to ask for a reduced rate for anything. You never know until you ask. If you tell them your plans with the car, they may give you a reduced rate.[/quote]

how do you run the aux through the stock headunit? im swapping the cd player from my brothers 3.4 and i would love to play music through an auxillary cord instead of through my cheap FM transmitter that also transmitts a nasty high frequency whine!

Arvetus
Senior Level
Senior Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

11ellswray wrote:

how do you run the aux through the stock headunit? im swapping the cd player from my brothers 3.4 and i would love to play music through an auxillary cord instead of through my cheap FM transmitter that also transmitts a nasty high frequency whine!

GM12AUX

ptrfair
Dedicated
Dedicated

2007 Chevrolet Impala
2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Arvetus wrote:
11ellswray wrote:

GM12AUX

I love modifying stuff.....Cheers! Lol. With the new car I havent had the chance to "fix something". Right now Im happy as a harry potter fan standing in line for the last movie. haha

Thanks for the advice! Very Happy I am going to search for a CD Changer and start a new thread in the correct section.

2007 Impala SS - 75k
Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.54

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

if you swap in a factory radio you will have to take a trip to the dealer to have it unlocked. Just a FYI

as for the insurance, have the base model set as your daily driver or commuter car and the SS as a pleasure car. Thats how I had mine with the SS and the malibu wagon. SS was a pleasure car. Insurance was much cheaper that way.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: