NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - FPR - Need Installation Help
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

FPR - Need Installation Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edcon1981

Posts per day: 0.01

2002 Chevrolet Impala
1995 Chevrolet Caprice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject:  FPR - Need Installation Help Reply with quote

So my FPR went on my 2002 Impala 3.4 ltr. I took a look at it, then looked at my Haines manual, then got confused.

The manual says you need to remove the intake manifold and the fuel rail to replace it. Is this true? It looks like it should be able to be done without all that BS, but I don't want to get elbows deep into the job and realize this is above my capabilities.

Would anyone mind giving me a walk through on this? It would be greatly appreciated...

[ Yes, I posted this thread in another section, but I've had no response for 24 hours so I thought I'd try here ]

labriola
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.35

2005 Chevrolet Impala
2003 Chevrolet Cavalier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:01 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

u dont have to do that... its as simple as it looks.... i havent done it in a while but i think i only had to remove the throttle body .... dont forget to de-presurrize fuel system first b4 u start or u get an eyefull of gas

Master Level
Master Level

Posts per day: 0.63

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Mercedes-Benz E Class
2006 Nissan Murano
2003 BMW 5 Series

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:26 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Check my post in this thread
http://www.naioa.com/v2/module.....hlight=fpr

2002 Galaxy Silver Sedan - LS cluster - Debadged - Intrigue compass/autodim mirror - DIC - Regal graphite leather seats - LS console with floor shift conversion - Monte Carlo black leather steering wheel - LS springs - KYB GR-2 Struts - GMPP sway bars and rear STB - Fog light frontend harness - LS Bumper with fog lights - Painted trim and side skirts

2006 Nissan Murano - Autodim/compass mirror
2006 Mercedez-Benz E350 - Stock for stock, its faster than an SS, woot!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
edcon1981

2002 Chevrolet Impala
1995 Chevrolet Caprice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

MISHNAH wrote:

I did see your post, thanks for weighing in! A couple questions for you...

How do you depressurize the fuel?

How do you "repressurize" the fuel, or is that not necessary?

I see two threaded connections: the pipe fitting (fuel input) at the bottom of the FPR and a screw that looks like it holds the FPR in place, is there a third fitting that attaches it to the fuel rail (a fuel output fitting if you will)?

Again, thanks!

MISHNAH
Master Level
Master Level

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Nissan Murano
2003 BMW 5 Series

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

edcon1981 wrote:
MISHNAH wrote:

I did see your post, thanks for weighing in! A couple questions for you...

How do you depressurize the fuel?

How do you "repressurize" the fuel, or is that not necessary?

I see two threaded connections: the pipe fitting (fuel input) at the bottom of the FPR and a screw that looks like it holds the FPR in place, is there a third fitting that attaches it to the fuel rail (a fuel output fitting if you will)?

Again, thanks!

Remove the Fuel Pump Relay or fuse in the top junction block on the right side of the engine bay. Then start your car and let it run until it dies. You can now remove the FPR, there will still be some gasoline dripping out, but at least it wont spray everywhere.

To repressurize, put the relay or fuse back in, then turn your key from OFF to ON a few times to pressurize the system. It should start fine, but may crank a bit longer since it is trying to purge the air out of the fuel rail. Then check for leaks!

The FPR is on the return side of the fuel rail, so there are only two connections to worry about, the one screw and the large nut at the base of the FPR. The screw holds the FPR to the fuel rail, there is no "third" connection.

2002 Galaxy Silver Sedan - LS cluster - Debadged - Intrigue compass/autodim mirror - DIC - Regal graphite leather seats - LS console with floor shift conversion - Monte Carlo black leather steering wheel - LS springs - KYB GR-2 Struts - GMPP sway bars and rear STB - Fog light frontend harness - LS Bumper with fog lights - Painted trim and side skirts

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
edcon1981

2002 Chevrolet Impala
1995 Chevrolet Caprice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

MISHNAH wrote:

Remove the Fuel Pump Relay or fuse in the top junction block on the right side of the engine bay. Then start your car and let it run until it dies. You can now remove the FPR, there will still be some gasoline dripping out, but at least it wont spray everywhere.

To repressurize, put the relay or fuse back in, then turn your key from OFF to ON a few times to pressurize the system. It should start fine, but may crank a bit longer since it is trying to purge the air out of the fuel rail. Then check for leaks!

The FPR is on the return side of the fuel rail, so there are only two connections to worry about, the one screw and the large nut at the base of the FPR. The screw holds the FPR to the fuel rail, there is no "third" connection.

excellent information, thanks a million... or thanks 140, the money you'd save me if i can do this on my own Wink

one more thing, if you please... in the pic below, the port shown with the screen is the fuel inlet and the one at the bottom with the fitting is the fuel outlet? how then does the inlet seal to the rail, just pressure from the torx screw that holds the FPR in place?

thanks again!

:: EDIT :: wait, i just looked at the picture again. on the inlet port i see an o-ring... does that port simply slide into the fuel rail, assuming the end of the fuel rail is a round pipe? (i've never seen the end of the fuel rail)

MISHNAH
Master Level
Master Level

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Nissan Murano
2003 BMW 5 Series

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Yes, the o-ring seals the FPR to the rail, and the screw and metal clip holds it in place.

The fuel rail is round inside.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: