NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - My Impala issues and fixes (Some common problems and codes)
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

My Impala issues and fixes (Some common problems and codes)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hawkdoc60

Posts per day: 0.01

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject:  My Impala issues and fixes (Some common problems and codes) Reply with quote

I bought my 2001 Impala 9C1 two weeks ago and it had its issues. LOL. From the beginning, the "Coolant Level Low" light comes on. This is an ongoing issue that doesn't bother me, it just annoys. I am ultimately going to get a new coolant level sensor because I have plenty of coolant and there are no leaks.

The check engine light kept popping on with the code P0420. I kept resetting that and it kept coming back. I finally bit the bullet and put a new cat on(exhaust is the only thing I do not do myself LOL) and problem solved.

Next, I started getting plagued by the dreaded Impala stall. It would stall out on me at odd times; at stoplights, or even driving down the road. After doing some research, I figured out it was most likely the crank position sensor. (My Solus scanner had a pending P0336 code stored anyway) Yesterday I was driving around with my girlfriend and her son and it stalled on me 3 times. It got harder and harder to start again. I decided then and there to get the sensor and put it on in my shop.

It stalled out again at the garage door. I pulled it in and started removing the components and found out the harmonic balancer does not come off by hand like the manual says it should. LOL. Used a puller an 15 minutes later, I had it back together. I got on this site to get the relearn procedure printed off and went out to start that. The beautiful part is at step 1, the car started flawlessly. I didn't need the relearn after all. We continued on our way and I put another 112 miles with no more stalling.

Now I just need to replace the hazard/flasher unit beause it buzzez periodically, and replace that coolant level sensor, and I believe all the major issues are fixed.

I only wanted to post this because I hear these are pretty common issues with the Impala and I was hoping this might help some others who may be having the same issues and hopefully point them in the right direction.

Also, I am a fleet mechanic by trade, and if anyone should have other mechanical questions, I will do my best to try to answer them or find the answer if I don't know.

01 Impala, 9C1, 155K
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: