NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - New Coolant Leak (*Sighs*)
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

New Coolant Leak (*Sighs*)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Domo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.09

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer
2005 Chrysler 300C

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject:  New Coolant Leak (*Sighs*) Reply with quote

Hey Guys..

A Few Weeks ago, I was driving thru a unfamilar neighborhood and hit a speedbump pretty bad... After that about almost a week later, my low coolant light comes on. I go to check and sure enough there is no coolant. I Put more coolant in there, and a few days after work, I notice a puddle on the ground. Im Leaking Coolant, But Its on the drivers side of the car near the radiator. Its not leaking anywhere else and its pretty bad. My Question is What could have happened? What should I be looking for? It gets dark pretty fast outside now so i only have the weekends to even take a Look and because of my last experience with a mechanic, i pretty much dont trust those guys anymore.

Oh and the leak seems to be to the frontside of the black plastic guard, not behind it.
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.55

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I wonder if you cracked the radiator or lost a connection to it.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
Domo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Chrysler 300C

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Yeah Im afraid that I might have cracked it.. Because I cant really see At night im hoping it just a conenction got knocked loose.. and it doesnt help that its raining outside.. (No Carport or Garage)
Montclair

Posts per day: 0

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject:  radiator leaking Reply with quote

Hi, I just joined and am in the process of replacing my radiator. I think it was seeping until I ran up and back off of a curb at night. Then I got a puddle on the pavement. It looks like it is leaking between the plastic tank and the aluminum cooling part. I got the radiator out last night and will put the new one in today. It is not an easy one to change. I bought the new one that has 1 inch thick tubes instead of the original 5/8 inch thick ones. It is part # SPICU2351 and says Supercharger 3.8 on the label on the box. I ordered it from AutoPartsGiant.com for 153.60 and free shipping. I was amazed that I ordered it on Thursday morning and it arrived by UPS on Friday. Wow!

!  Commercial Post Removed
Domo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Chrysler 300C

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Yeah after looking closer, i see that its between the plastic and the aluminum.

I think I need a new radiator, but I see this will be a task in itself to change out..
Domo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Chrysler 300C

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Ok after looking, the leak is coming from the SIDE of the radiator where the black tube and the metal meets... im going to use this pic for illustration purposes...

where the green arrow is pointing to the screw, off to the left a little more is where the leak is coming from... I had a picture of it but i deleted it off my phone (DOH!)

I was looking at GM Parts Direct.com and I stumbled upon the "Tank Assembly Radiator Outlet" (#3 in the pic below)

and the part only cost about $62. Thats the area of where my leak is coming from and my question is, is that I can remove off the current radiator and just replace? Or is it just better to buy a new radiator and replace the whole thing?
Baywing
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.06

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

It would probably be easier to replace the entire radiator than mess around trying to get one end off. Your car is 10 years old so things aren't neccessarily going to come apart easily. You might get all done only to find you have a problem somewhere else. If you are doing it yourself, one of the posts above indicates that an entire new radiator isn't that much and it might be worth it in time and aggrevation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: