NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Fixed: Seat heat inop
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Fixed: Seat heat inop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Interior & Exterior MODs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RogerForster
Cadet
Cadet

Posts per day: 0.02

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject:  Fixed: Seat heat inop Reply with quote

When I bought the car, I thought it was a small burn hole in the seat. (careless former owner?)
Went to work yesterday morning 4:30am, 33 degrees.
Sounded like a good time to try the heated seat option...didn't work WTF!
Poked around this forum and lo and behold this problem has been experienced by others!
Although the searches seemed to address the seat back, on mine it was the seat bottom.
After applying the same or similar procedures, I was able to solder a replacement wire in place of the burned out element!
It's been working for 2 hours now and so far so good!
I love being able to repair things on my own without having to part with a great deal of money!
I do, however, know my limitations and concede when necessary.
In my short time on this forum, I have found it an incredibly valuable resource and would like to shout out to all who have given me guidance either directly or indirectly.
Thanx again, and I hope to one day be able to help someone else!

Roger

'04 Glastron GX185
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.99

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Sounds great! NAIOA has a wealth of information at your disposal. This site has solved alot of my problems that's for sure. Very Happy Plus it feels good to fix something on your own rather than taking it to a shop. Wink

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
whosonfirst

Posts per day: 0.01

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject:  My drivers side 02 LS heated seat quit working years ago Reply with quote

I now have time to try to fix my drivers heated seat. The passenger heated leather seat still works as it is not used as much. I would estimate my drivers side heated seat quit working in the winter of 06 after being out of warranty. I priced a replacement heated seat element from Chevrolet and it was around $900 for parts. So I drove with a cold butt every morning to work for 6 years. Soon the vent under the seat warms up the seat and the electric heated seat is not needed. Today I removed the seat to find the problem. I ran the six way power seat forward to get at the two rear seat rail torx bolts and removed the black torx bolts. I disconnected the battery and waited for the power to drain from the side airbag. Then I removed the black plastic trims around the rear black torx bolts. I lifted the back of the seat up and slid the seat assembly to the rear disengaging the front seat rail hooks that hook into the floor. Next I removed the left seat belt nut from the bottom of the seat. Then I removed two electric plug connectors from the seat after tilting the seat towards the passenger side. I picked the seat up and removed from the car. The seat is quite heavy. Something sharp on the bottom of the seat rail made a slight cut in the plastic carpet trim by the door jam as I removed the seat. I set the seat on two wood saw horses. I began removing the seat leather by unhooking the plastic runners under the seat. Velcro holds the leather with sewn heater element to the foam seat cushion. Pulling up on the velcro I found the wires going into the element located in the back and to the door side. At first look no problem was observed. I took a razor blade and began cutting a white velvet area where the wires enter the seat leather element. I exposed some burnt foam rubber. Pulling on the wires I exposed a disconnected wire from melted burnt foam. I then came to this website to see if anybody had information on the wiring repair. I also noticed the heat sensors near the burnt foam. There are two little black round discs that must be the heat sensors. Looks like I just need to solder the broken wires together and insulate the area. I was thinking of using leather from an old leather shoe. I have an 04 Lincoln and the heated drivers seat does not work. Probably the same problem with burnt wires.
Arvetus
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.56

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

$900 in parts to fix heated seats????? That's the dealership for ya.

You can find heater pads for around $60/ea. I just replaced both front bottom and back pads in my Tahoe for $200 in parts. You can get them for the Impala too. Rock Auto doesn't have them, but a quick search found some here:

http://www.andysautosport.com/.....s/autoloc/

They're not hard to do, just a pain. You'll have to pull the seat and then take the leather off to get to the pad that's glued/taped to the foam, but it's fairly easy and much cheaper than paying almost $1000 just to fix the heated seat...

RIP 10/23/2010, 191,197 miles - traded on a 2003 Tahoe Z71
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
whosonfirst

Posts per day: 0.01

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject:  Drivers heated leather Impala seat Reply with quote

Well I soldered the burnt wires together and put the leather seat cover back on. Gave the leather seat a good cleaning. Not to my surprise it still did not heat. I was lazy and did not remove the complete leather seat cover. Could be the back heating pad is in series with the seat heated pad. Any break in the wires would knock both out. If the seat was not so heavy I might try looking at it again. For now it will just have to wait. The Lincoln heated seat has an led light that shows it is on. I noticed the Impala seat heats up quicker than the Lincoln. I remember feeling heat pretty quick on the Impala seat. It was great for my sore back when it worked. I have two cars with heated drivers seat and neither one works. The heated passenger seats work. Makes me mad especially when a passenger claims how good the warm seat feels.

The aftermarkets are good from what I heard. Might go that route next. Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Interior & Exterior MODs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: