NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Help, I need info to pull my engine!!!
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Help, I need info to pull my engine!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
k4rynbr1

Posts per day: 0

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject:  Help, I need info to pull my engine!!! Reply with quote

Recently bought a 03' with a 3.4L from a relative sight un seen. first mistake. It was described as having a slight lifter noise. I am an ASE master so I was not to afraid of that, figured I would swap out the lifters when I did the intake gaskets. Turns out this slight lifter tick ate the cam. I am looking to see if anyone has replaced a cam without dropping the whole front end, or if someone has some pics form their job of dropping the whole front end. I know it is not epic, just wondering if someone has some short cuts.

I know there is a lot of Q's about ticks knocks and rattles, so I will pass on my findings for the lifter problem identification, maybe you can help someone else with it. This 3.4 has a sharp knock from idle all the way up. (maybe best described as sounding like a midget was pounding on the inside of the engine with a ball peen hammer.) The knock was insignificant with a cold engine, but got much worse as the engine heated up. The location could not be pinpointed even with a stethoscope. I tried removing each individual sparkplug wire while the car was running. This will take the load off of that cylinder/piston and if the noise quits, will diagnose faulty rod bearings. Upon removing the oil fill cap, it was possible to recognize the noise was occurring at the same rate as the valve train movement. This eliminated the bottom/ piston noises because they would occur at 2x valve movement due to engine timing (crank spins 2 revolutions for every 1 revolution of the cam). From there it was just a matter of disassembly and inspection.

I know this is a bit elementary for some, but hopefully it will point someone in the right direction and save them some pain.

Thanks in advance
Kevin
05imp
Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.53

2005 Chevrolet Impala
2000 Ford Ranger
2007 Ford Explorer
2008 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You may want to take a look at the rocker arms. The stud that holds them in place have failed before on some members cars.

Edit: I don't remember if the failures were on the 3.4 or the 3.8 Confused

Edit the edit:: Just a fyi the stud doesn't break it strips itself lose from the heads.
So first looks can be deceiving.
k4rynbr1

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up. Checked em out and they are good to go.
nightryder
Master Level
Master Level
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 0.8

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

On the 3800 it isn't possible to swap cams without dropping the cradle or removing the engine, I have no idea about the 3400 but I would assume that this is the case as well.

Personally I think the easiest way is to remove the engine, but as long as you have access to a lift, dropping the cradle shouldn't be too bad. The only extra steps you would need to take to drop the cradle is to disconnect the steering rack from the cradle and probably the control arms and sway bar as well. Loosen the driver side cradle bolts and remove the passenger side bolts then drop the passenger side of the cradle...with the 3800 it needs to drop about a foot maybe more, the 3400 might be different.

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. That's what i figured. Went ahead and knocked the job out over the past two nights. Now it purrs like a kitten instead of knocking.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: