NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Do 3800performance lock their PCM's?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Do 3800performance lock their PCM's?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 PCM/Engine Computer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GOTIT4CHEAP16
Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.79

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject:  Do 3800performance lock their PCM's? Reply with quote

If i bought one from them, would i be able to do further tuning with my dhp?

Mods: 3.0 MPS | Gen V | N* TB | LQ4 MAF | 130# Springs | XP Cam | |Stage 3 Ported Heads| Roller Master Double Timing Set | CAI | PRJ Wires | AL104 | Speed Daddy Headers | EGR Delete | ZZP Stage 2 Intercooler | 42lb Injectors |
13.4 @ 106

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3183434
whitelightnin04MC
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 1.57

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2009 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Why would you buy a tuned pcm when you already own a tuner?

Resident Prick, at your service.
SS - Corsa Catback, RT 3" DP, CC T304 PLOG, Wizaired, ZZP Offset Polys, GMPP Koni Kit, Hella Projectrofits, PT, ZZP HVTB, 10.4's
GOTIT4CHEAP16
Senior Level
Senior Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

whitelightnin04MC wrote:

Im still learning how to use it and dont know how to tune my pcm for my current headers setup and soon 3.4 drop.

Mods: 3.0 MPS | Gen V | N* TB | LQ4 MAF | 130# Springs | XP Cam | |Stage 3 Ported Heads| Roller Master Double Timing Set | CAI | PRJ Wires | AL104 | Speed Daddy Headers | EGR Delete | ZZP Stage 2 Intercooler | 42lb Injectors |
13.4 @ 106

whitelightnin04MC
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2009 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

GOTIT4CHEAP16 wrote:
whitelightnin04MC wrote:

Im still learning how to use it and dont know how to tune my pcm for my current headers setup and soon 3.4 drop.

Getting a tuned pcm is just wasting money. It's not going to help you learn anything. You need to drive the car, log what it's doing, get the fueling smoothed out (MAF table), and then address timing. It's not easy and it doesn't offer instant results. You can expect to log and make changes as little as ten times. If you're looking for simple, sell the tuner and go to a shop that can dynotune your car.

SS - Corsa Catback, RT 3" DP, CC T304 PLOG, Wizaired, ZZP Offset Polys, GMPP Koni Kit, Hella Projectrofits, PT, ZZP HVTB, 10.4's
EMMJAY
Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.62

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Dodge Magnum

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

whitelightnin04MC wrote:

hes got a point lol...practice makes perfect right? Very Happy

helldorado wrote:
EMMJAY, your car is coming together nicely as well!

Frank4202 wrote:
EMMJAY, you and I have always had the same taste in cars Hang Head 2
GOTIT4CHEAP16
Senior Level
Senior Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Yea he does. You guys are right. I have got to learn to tune myself or else what IS the point of owning my own tuner. I just went outside and scanned my car using the dhp tuner software (which is something i have never done before in the past) because i was using my aeroforce gauges. Now that i got the hang of how to scan using the software, i will start tomorrow. Thanks guys for pushing me in the right direction Very Happy

13.4 @ 106

04DetroitLS
Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.53

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

getting a pretuned pcm DOES give you a place to start from (IE Intense L67 tune for a top swap/3400 swap)

His dog ran away and didn't come back for a few hours on the first fire up too. It was awesome.

When babies cry and animals flee, you know you did something right Laughing

Signature truncated by system. Maximum of 6 lines allowed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
whitelightnin04MC
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2009 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:17 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

04DetroitLS wrote:
getting a pretuned pcm DOES give you a place to start from (IE Intense L67 tune for a top swap/3400 swap)

Yeah, but he has neither of those. He did a engine and trans swap if I'm not mistaken. So everything he needs is available to him on the internet. Not sure why you'd need a starting point tune with your example either. If it's more convenient for you to spend money on a pcm tune then so be it. It's certainly not necessary though.

04DetroitLS
Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.53

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

whitelightnin04MC wrote:
04DetroitLS wrote:

Yeah, but he has neither of those. He did a engine and trans swap if I'm not mistaken. So everything he needs is available to him on the internet. Not sure why you'd need a starting point tune with your example either. If it's more convenient for you to spend money on a pcm tune then so be it. It's certainly not necessary though.

IMO spending $100 on a shelf tune is better than trying to guess or do a full write and have it possibly fry your pcm... I was looking it as $100 for an EXTRA pcm w/a shelf tune so you can see where they edited things and learn from there...

His dog ran away and didn't come back for a few hours on the first fire up too. It was awesome.

When babies cry and animals flee, you know you did something right Laughing

Signature truncated by system. Maximum of 6 lines allowed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
whitelightnin04MC
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2009 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

04DetroitLS wrote:
whitelightnin04MC wrote:
04DetroitLS wrote:

IMO spending $100 on a shelf tune is better than trying to guess or do a full write and have it possibly fry your pcm... I was looking it as $100 for an EXTRA pcm w/a shelf tune so you can see where they edited things and learn from there...

What's the difference in frying one pcm over another? You can get stock pcms for $30 all day long from the classified sections on the various forums. Use the $70 you saved for gas for logging. Whenever you write to the pcm, you run the risk of bricking it. Are you saying he should just get a OTS tune and never tune his car because it might brick the pcm.

Vendors don't change enough things in the pcm to make it worth the money. I noticed maybe 10 tables that got changed in the ZZP pcm that Helldo had in the SS when I bought it. The majority of them were transmission tables. The MAF tables remain untouched. They lower PE, change fan settings, dumb down the knock sensors, and raise shift points. Well worth the $100. *sarcasm* Maybe that's just ZZP. I know Intense has a few different options that you can change. It's still not something that you couldn't achieve and a weekend with the tuner and a laptop.

If you own a tuner, I don't see the point in getting an OTS tune. Use your tuner to dial your car in to a safe point and take the money you saved by not buying the OTS tune and put it towards a dyno tune.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 PCM/Engine Computer All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: