NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account
 

  
NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - trying to find the short....
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

trying to find the short....

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
02impalals
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: Oct 19, 2007
Posts: 34
Posts per day: 0.01
Location: Virginia

2001 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject:  trying to find the short.... Reply with quote

So as many Impala's they have a draw and that kills the battery. Today I was trying to put the factory radio back in and no sound. I put the old radio back in and no sound. I bypassed the factory harness and its all fine. I was taping up the facotry speaker connectors and the dash started to go on and off. Then today I walk into the garage and find the interior lights on! Has anyone seen this? I am about to rip out the dash and install a new harness. Its been doing this since new , 2001 but you would never know unless you let it sit for a week or 2. I dont want to sell it cause I love it but if it dies randomly or wont start due to the flaky passlock system the wife wont drive it. So if she wont drive it I got to sell it for an SUV so we can kart around the up coming baby... Any ideas?

_________________
Steve

01 Impala LS- SS cluster, SS exhaust, SLP grille, GMPP handling sway bars, tubular trailing arms front and rear strut bars, KYB AGX struts and SSC Gen 2 springs, convertor delete pipe and some nice window tint....
88 Ranger- with a F/I 302 on 36" super swampers - "Rednecked"
73 Cutlass- with a 432 big block and a lot of go fast goodies
82 Cutlass- 350 weekend cruiser
Signature truncated by system. Maximum of 6 lines allowed
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor


Joined: May 19, 2007
Posts: 13731
Posts per day: 3.56
Location: Nashville, TN

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu


PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

It very well might be the BCM... ridiculous electrical problems are often traced back to a fault in the BCM.

_________________
helldorado wrote:
GLWTGFY. Big Thumbs Up

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.


d
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wanderson75
Guru
Guru
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor


Joined: Oct 12, 2008
Posts: 4362
Posts per day: 1.3
Location: Southgate, Michigan

2005 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:
It very well might be the BCM... ridiculous electrical problems are often traced back to a fault in the BCM.


Or a short in the factory radio harness. Shorts can cause the BCM to freak and do some funky things.

_________________
Shameless Plug: http://gamerliving.net
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor


Joined: May 19, 2007
Posts: 13731
Posts per day: 3.56
Location: Nashville, TN

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu


PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Good point. I'd just hope the short (wherever it is) hasn't caused the BCM to go Kurt Cobain on itself.

_________________
helldorado wrote:
GLWTGFY. Big Thumbs Up

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.


d
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wanderson75
Guru
Guru
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor


Joined: Oct 12, 2008
Posts: 4362
Posts per day: 1.3
Location: Southgate, Michigan

2005 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:
Good point. I'd just hope the short (wherever it is) hasn't caused the BCM to go Kurt Cobain on itself.



_________________
Shameless Plug: http://gamerliving.net
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor


Joined: May 19, 2007
Posts: 13731
Posts per day: 3.56
Location: Nashville, TN

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu


PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

That's awful. Laughing

_________________
helldorado wrote:
GLWTGFY. Big Thumbs Up

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.


d
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Arvetus
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor


Joined: May 14, 2004
Posts: 2752
Posts per day: 0.55
Location: Lufkin, TX

2001 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

A few things to check...

1.) When you say you "bypassed the harness," did you bypass the amp in the trunk?? Or what exactly did you bypass?
Is the amp in the trunk unplugged completely? They can stay on and then drain your battery. Mine did the same thing (no audio or chimes) and so I unplugged it and have it bypassed completely.

2.) If things are randomly coming on, I can think of a couple things it could be. It could be the ignition switch, or it could be the BCM. Unfortunately, if the you are not getting teltale signs (funky things happening with the cluster, sometimes no crank, etc) that the BCM is dying, you won't know. You almost have to replace it to eliminate that as an option.
You mention you are having passlock problems, it might not be a bad idea to replace the ignition switch and/or the lock cylinder. They're easy enough to replace and you can probably have a local locksmith set up the lock to your existing key for less than $20. The dealer will charge you an arm and a leg to just set up the lock, not to mention cutting you new keys and doing the replacement.

3.) Your radio could in fact be faulty and drawing power when it shouldn't.

I am in the process of finding a drain/short myself. I have eliminated the amp, battery, alternator and bad battery cables. I replaced the ignition switch too and that wasn't it either. I am going to replace the radio again as it is cheap and if it doesn't fix it, I can always sell it. I am replacing the BCM as a last resort (because the dealer has to program it and it's more expensive than replacing a radio) , but I will also say that BCM's are the weakest point in the Impala, so it's at least worth thinking about and being prepared to replace.

_________________
- 2001 Impala Base - Navy Blue Metallic
- 3800 Series II


RIP 10/23/2010, 191,197 miles - traded on a 2003 Tahoe Z71
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
02impalals
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: Oct 19, 2007
Posts: 34
Posts per day: 0.01
Location: Virginia

2001 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:09 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Arvetus wrote:
A few things to check...

1.) When you say you "bypassed the harness," did you bypass the amp in the trunk?? Or what exactly did you bypass?
Is the amp in the trunk unplugged completely? They can stay on and then drain your battery. Mine did the same thing (no audio or chimes) and so I unplugged it and have it bypassed completely.

2.) If things are randomly coming on, I can think of a couple things it could be. It could be the ignition switch, or it could be the BCM. Unfortunately, if the you are not getting teltale signs (funky things happening with the cluster, sometimes no crank, etc) that the BCM is dying, you won't know. You almost have to replace it to eliminate that as an option.
You mention you are having passlock problems, it might not be a bad idea to replace the ignition switch and/or the lock cylinder. They're easy enough to replace and you can probably have a local locksmith set up the lock to your existing key for less than $20. The dealer will charge you an arm and a leg to just set up the lock, not to mention cutting you new keys and doing the replacement.

3.) Your radio could in fact be faulty and drawing power when it shouldn't.

I am in the process of finding a drain/short myself. I have eliminated the amp, battery, alternator and bad battery cables. I replaced the ignition switch too and that wasn't it either. I am going to replace the radio again as it is cheap and if it doesn't fix it, I can always sell it. I am replacing the BCM as a last resort (because the dealer has to program it and it's more expensive than replacing a radio) , but I will also say that BCM's are the weakest point in the Impala, so it's at least worth thinking about and being prepared to replace.


My car has been plagued with this issue since new, my father never knew until he would leave it at the airport while on business trips. He has had the ignition switch replaced the pass lock worked on and or replaced in the past. The BCM was never changed, I have a new one but never had it installed due to the price. When I put in the Sony radio I got the harness for 100.- and turned the chime down so I could not here it. Car still had the same draw as it did with the factory radio. I keep a battery tender on it since I only drive it 100 miles or so a year. I can start it up and move it to wash it and then the next day it wont start due to the flacky passlock system. So as of right noe the only thing hooked up to the factory harness to the radio is an aftermarket radio harness. I am about to cut it up and only use the power and ground from it to see if it id infact the radio or a short somewhere else. I wonder why only the Impala had such an issue, my 98 Intrigue never blinked an eye and never left me in a tight spot. To all that answered thanks for the info!

_________________
Steve

01 Impala LS- SS cluster, SS exhaust, SLP grille, GMPP handling sway bars, tubular trailing arms front and rear strut bars, KYB AGX struts and SSC Gen 2 springs, convertor delete pipe and some nice window tint....
88 Ranger- with a F/I 302 on 36" super swampers - "Rednecked"
73 Cutlass- with a 432 big block and a lot of go fast goodies
82 Cutlass- 350 weekend cruiser
Signature truncated by system. Maximum of 6 lines allowed
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
02impalals
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: Oct 19, 2007
Posts: 34
Posts per day: 0.01
Location: Virginia

2001 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Well after I put the aftermarket radio in I got a loud ground whine/noise. I just re did the ground to the ground lug behind the radio and it is all quiet now. So either I have a bad BCM and or a short in the radio wiring harness, I moved the rt front pass speaker wires around one day and the dash went crazy..... The search continues!

_________________
Steve

01 Impala LS- SS cluster, SS exhaust, SLP grille, GMPP handling sway bars, tubular trailing arms front and rear strut bars, KYB AGX struts and SSC Gen 2 springs, convertor delete pipe and some nice window tint....
88 Ranger- with a F/I 302 on 36" super swampers - "Rednecked"
73 Cutlass- with a 432 big block and a lot of go fast goodies
82 Cutlass- 350 weekend cruiser
Signature truncated by system. Maximum of 6 lines allowed
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Forums ©
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. Comments and posts are property of the poster. All other content is © 2008 by the NAIOA.


Use of this site constitutes agreement with the NAIOA Terms of Service (TOS)


PHP-Nuke Copyright © 2005 by Francisco Burzi. This is free software, and you may redistribute it under the GPL. PHP-Nuke comes with absolutely no warranty, for details, see the license.
Server Local Time: December 13, 2017, 10:27:08 pm
Page Generation: 0.13 Seconds ( SQL 33:125 in 0.01 Seconds )