NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Would like to flush my antifreeze but got some ??S
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Would like to flush my antifreeze but got some ??S

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
riverheadracer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.11

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject:  Would like to flush my antifreeze but got some ??S Reply with quote

Ok i want to flush my cooling system and heres some questions

1 Cant find the damn drain plug on my 3.8 everyone is telling me its on the lower right hand side i still cant find it am i blind? (anyone have a pic maybe im just not realizing what the plug looks like)

2 i bought Prestone cooling system flush its a little quart of stuff anyone use this and have good or bad experiences with it?

3 I bought the Dex Cool to refill when the flush is over am i making the right decision or should i go with green....

as always thanks for the help guys.

stock 01 LS
R1 drilled slotted Rotors, ECB redstuff pads Painted calipers GHETTOFAB CAI lol and soon to be Ubend/resonator delete
Truckman
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.27

2008 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I recall some cars as not having a radiator drain in which case I disconnected the lower radiator hose...In fact, on some cars it was just easier and quicker to use the lower hose... Idea ...Ben

"A thing worth having is a thing worth cheating for" - Cuthbert J. Twillie "It must be mounted on a tripod! It must be mounted on a tripod!" - Cmdr. Frederick Mohr, Imperial German Army
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.94

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I just replaced both my hoses when I did the flush, so using the bottom hose to drain was easy

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.06

2002 Pontiac Trans Am

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I just put dex cool back in it after mine was flushed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
riverheadracer
Dedicated
Dedicated

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

thats cool so ill just pull the lower hose n put dex back in it

stock 01 LS
R1 drilled slotted Rotors, ECB redstuff pads Painted calipers GHETTOFAB CAI lol and soon to be Ubend/resonator delete
Arvetus
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.56

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

the drain is on the DRIVER side, so it would be the right side if you're standing in front of the car.

Take the little plastic shield/reflector off by undoing the 5 #10 screws...it will make it a smidgen easier. Then, you'll have to get down on your back and reach up around the frame and you'll feel the p e a c o c k screw (sorry, when I typed the it, it just put *****'s there Smile ) up there on the lower, driver side corner of the radiator. Undo it enough to get the coolant to start draining, but don't take it all the way out or you'll have hell getting it back in. Might need a set of pliers or a large headed, flat screwdriver to loosen it... It's not in the easiest of locations...

It may be easier for you to just take the lower hose off... but the drain plug is there...

I am not a Dex fan, but that's just me Smile

Just make sure you rinse out your overflow bottle real good, and make sure you run water backwards through the radiator so it comes out where the upper hose is attached. This should get most of the rust deposits out of the radiator. You'll probably see a little bit of gunk coming out.

RIP 10/23/2010, 191,197 miles - traded on a 2003 Tahoe Z71
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
riverheadracer
Dedicated
Dedicated

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

awesome but has anyone ever used the prestone flush that i bought because i dont want to mess anything up by using it...

stock 01 LS
Truckman
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.27

2008 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

riverheadracer wrote:
awesome but has anyone ever used the prestone flush that i bought because i dont want to mess anything up by using it...
Prestone makes a quality product, but like all chemical flush compounds, it works best by following the directions here
Quote:
1.With engine off and cool, remove radiator cap.* Drain radiator then close ******.
2.Pour entire contents of Prestone® Super Radiator Flush into radiator and fill with water. For systems larger that 12 quarts, use two bottles.
3.Run engine with heater on highest temperature setting for 10 minutes after reaching normal operating temperature.
4.With engine off and cool, remove radiator cap, drain radiator, and close ******. Refill with water and replace radiator cap to fully closed position. Repeat step #3.
5.Stop engine and allow to cool. Remove radiator cap, drain system and close ******. Add enough recommended coolant to achieve a 50-70% concentration. Top off radiator with water. Replace radiator cap to fully closed position. Run engine for 20 minutes to mix coolant/water.
6.If equipped with a non-pressurized coolant reservoir, rinse, drain, and refill with a 50-70% solution of the coolant and water.
* The cap on newer vehicles may be located on a remote, pressurized overflow reservoir. Follow instructions given for radiators, but add product and coolant to reservoir. Much longer running time may be needed to introduce product into system.
Before adding coolant, I recommend disconnecting the return hose from the heater core, removing the radiator cap and backflushing the system through the heater core using your garden hose until you get clear water from all openings... Idea ...Ben

"A thing worth having is a thing worth cheating for" - Cuthbert J. Twillie "It must be mounted on a tripod! It must be mounted on a tripod!" - Cmdr. Frederick Mohr, Imperial German Army
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: