NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - The difference between...
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

The difference between...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C-Squarez

Posts per day: 0.01

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject:  The difference between... Reply with quote

What is the difference between these parts? They are all fenders but why are some cheaper than others?

http://www.partstrain.com/stor.....ersal:0%29
MISHNAH
Master Level
Master Level

Posts per day: 0.64

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Mercedes-Benz E Class
2006 Nissan Murano
2003 BMW 5 Series

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject:  Re: The difference between... Reply with quote

C-Squarez wrote:
What is the difference between these parts? They are all fenders but why are some cheaper than others?

They dont really give much info on the difference. The second one is CAPA certified so it should be better quality than the first one, and for some reason its on sale cheaper lol.

Both are going to be chinese aftermarket replacements and probably wont fit exactly like stock. I prefer used junkyard pieces to aftermarket parts.

2002 Galaxy Silver Sedan - LS cluster - Debadged - Intrigue compass/autodim mirror - DIC - Regal graphite leather seats - LS console with floor shift conversion - Monte Carlo black leather steering wheel - LS springs - KYB GR-2 Struts - GMPP sway bars and rear STB - Fog light frontend harness - LS Bumper with fog lights - Painted trim and side skirts

2006 Nissan Murano - Autodim/compass mirror
2006 Mercedez-Benz E350 - Stock for stock, its faster than an SS, woot!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
C-Squarez

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject:  Re: The difference between... Reply with quote

MISHNAH wrote:
C-Squarez wrote:

They dont really give much info on the difference. The second one is CAPA certified so it should be better quality than the first one, and for some reason its on sale cheaper lol.

Both are going to be chinese aftermarket replacements and probably wont fit exactly like stock. I prefer used junkyard pieces to aftermarket parts.

Really? So do you think it would be smarter to go with gmpartsdirect.com for parts? Is the difference in fit THAT different? And should I always go for CAPA certified parts?
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.66

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Never use GMPD... if you need new GM parts PM ZSPOT and he can hook you up with whatever you need (he's a part guy at a dealer). If you can't track down junkyard parts locally, contact Morad Parts Company. I've used them for random parts I couldn't grab at the junkyard and didn't want to buy new from the dealer.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
C-Squarez

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Didn't realize that my last post was in bold. Didn't mean for that to happen. I was shocked that those parts I saw on partstrain were Chinese aftermarket. Thanks for the link imma try to track him down soon.
outonthetiles
Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.27

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1990 Volvo 240
2000 Buick Regal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I just bought two aftermarket capa certified fenders from rockauto. One was damaged in shipping and they shipped me another one promptly. The fenders fit perfectly.

2000 Impala LS: Getrag 284 Swapped
Wingman520
Guru
Guru

Posts per day: 1.21

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

when i checked with zspot for my fenders it was

fender = $149
fender liner = $31

that's OEM replacement before shipping FYI

2001 Chevy Impala- 186K Retired: 180 T stat, HV3, Wizaired Intake, GMPP Exhaust, Speed Daddy Headers, 1.9 Yella Terra Rockers, Custom LED interior, BBEngineering.com 6 Pod Cluster, Poly Mounts and Bushings, Dyno Tuned by Dyno Brian @ Dyno Tune Motorsports 181 WHP 230 WTQ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MISHNAH
Master Level
Master Level

Posts per day: 0.64

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Mercedes-Benz E Class
2006 Nissan Murano
2003 BMW 5 Series

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:17 am    Post subject:  Re: The difference between... Reply with quote

C-Squarez wrote:
MISHNAH wrote:
C-Squarez wrote:

Really? So do you think it would be smarter to go with gmpartsdirect.com for parts? Is the difference in fit THAT different? And should I always go for CAPA certified parts?

Unless you're buying from a dealer (or somebody who works for a dealer) or a junkyard, chances are you're getting an aftermarket part, especially if its much cheaper. If you want to stay original, buy a used part or a new OEM piece. If its a beater or work car, the aftermarket piece probably wont hurt it.

It really depends on who made them, and how well they will fit right off the bat. Aftermarket parts are reknown for needing more work to fit correctly. A more important concern is the quality of the metal, our fenders arent that strong to begin with, and the new metal could be significantly softer and easier to ding or bend.

When I had my accident, I bought a right fender from a Katrina flooded 9C1 that was covered in tar and had 2 screwdriver holes on the side, all for $20. Laughing Once it was cleaned, filled and installed, it fit perfectly. Very Happy

2002 Galaxy Silver Sedan - LS cluster - Debadged - Intrigue compass/autodim mirror - DIC - Regal graphite leather seats - LS console with floor shift conversion - Monte Carlo black leather steering wheel - LS springs - KYB GR-2 Struts - GMPP sway bars and rear STB - Fog light frontend harness - LS Bumper with fog lights - Painted trim and side skirts

2006 Nissan Murano - Autodim/compass mirror
2006 Mercedez-Benz E350 - Stock for stock, its faster than an SS, woot!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

Posts per day: 3.66

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:00 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I guess there is a reason some people call you the junkyard king. Laughing

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: