NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Replacing radiator fan assy
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Replacing radiator fan assy
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arvetus
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.56

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject:  Replacing radiator fan assy Reply with quote

Do you need to support the engine from below to R&R the radiator fan assy?

I see you need to take off the top engine mounts, but will this cause an issue if not supported from below? Say with a piece of plywood and a floor jack? Need to come up with a floor jack if one is required...

Want to try to do this myself if I can ...

I'm having a problem where I overheat if I am driving any slower than 60-70mph or if I'm idling. Not so much when the outside temp is below 90, but when it's been 100+ like it's been, I've been almost boiling according to the temp gauge.
Got out and checked the fans and only 1 is running (passenger side) and not very fast either.

RIP 10/23/2010, 191,197 miles - traded on a 2003 Tahoe Z71
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
00Rebuild
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.2

1998 Infiniti G35
2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:46 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Yeah. You take the mounts off after supporting the engine with a jack and 2x4 under the oil pan. This will allow you to rock the engine back (towards the cabin of the car) and give you the necessary clearance. You have to remove the battery/tray and I believe the airbox as well. Let us know if you have any issues. Good luck.

R.I.P. to my '01 Retired Cruiser...Sad

Tempest790 wrote:
I even tried using a blow dryer in that same hole, but it didn't help.
Signature truncated by system. Maximum of 6 lines allowed
Bill58
Resident
Resident
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

2006 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:47 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If you are talking about the 2 dogbones that connect the engine to the radiator core support, no. The engine needs no support from below. They are torque struts to keep the engine from moving front to back. They do not support any weight. When you remove the dogbones you can push the engine towards the fire wall to get some extra space to remove the fan assy. It helps to have the wheels chocked and the trans in neutral when removing the dogbones and moving the engine.
Good luck.
Arvetus
Senior Level
Senior Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:36 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Cool... that's what I was worried about was that I wasn't sure if those mounts supported any weight.

I might attempt this... going to order the assembly today from Rockauto. Price for the Dorman is almost half of what they are at Autozone!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
00Rebuild
Resident
Resident

1998 Infiniti G35
2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Check craigslist first. You'll often find people parting Imps out. You will get it a ton cheaper.

Supporting the engine with a jack/2x4 makes it easier to position the engine back forward (it's proper place) when reattaching the dog bones, especially if you are doing this by yourself. If you have a second pair of hands, then they can pull it forward and up a bit, but it's much easier with a jack.

R.I.P. to my '01 Retired Cruiser...Sad

Tempest790 wrote:
I even tried using a blow dryer in that same hole, but it didn't help.
Signature truncated by system. Maximum of 6 lines allowed
Bill58
Resident
Resident

2006 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The dogbones will have tension on then unless the wheels are chocked the trans is in neutral.
This should help.

Engine Coolant Fan Shroud Replacement
1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2. Partially drain the cooling system.
3. Raise and support the vehicle.
4. Remove the transmission oil cooler lines from the retainers at the bottom of the cooling fan shroud.
5. Lower the vehicle.
6. Remove the right and the left engine mount struts.
7. Remove the left front fender upper diagonal brace.
8. Remove the radiator inlet hose from the radiator.
9. Remove the air cleaner assembly.
10. Remove the PCM harness from the fan shroud clip.
11. If equipped remove the cooling fan heat shields.
12. Disconnect the cooling fan shroud electrical connectors.
13. Remove the cooling fan shroud bolts.
14. Disengage the cooling fan shroud clip from the top of the radiator.
15. Remove the radiator upper support brackets that connect to the fan shroud.
16. Remove the cooling fan shroud.
Truckman
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.27

2008 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

As I recall, it's a really simple job... Exclamation ...Ben

"A thing worth having is a thing worth cheating for" - Cuthbert J. Twillie "It must be mounted on a tripod! It must be mounted on a tripod!" - Cmdr. Frederick Mohr, Imperial German Army
Arvetus
Senior Level
Senior Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I got my fan assembly from Rock Auto today... I am going to replace this weekend, however, let me poise this question:

My current fan assembly DOES work. Work in the sense that the fans do turn. However, they do not come on to full speed as they should. They run at normal speed, I guess what they would run at idle.

So, would this be more indicative of a relay problem (FAN CONT #2 - fan control relay), or weak fan motors?
Or a deeper problem... PCM input or something? Temp sensor was replaced when I replaced the thermostat. I would think that if the PCM input was bad, my dash reading would be bad accordingly...

Truckman
Resident
Resident

2008 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Also, unless the basic design has changed in the past several years, don't take the bottom bolts all the way out...The last ones I removed, the lower holes were slotted allowing you to remove the shroud by just loosening the bottom bolts... Idea ...Ben

"A thing worth having is a thing worth cheating for" - Cuthbert J. Twillie "It must be mounted on a tripod! It must be mounted on a tripod!" - Cmdr. Frederick Mohr, Imperial German Army
FooBag
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.06

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:29 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Totally talking out of my butt here, but given that the fan motors are DC motors, I would suspect the car varies the voltage to create the different speeds. Perhaps you can check the voltage being sent to the fans? If the fans are being supplied with the voltage that corresponds with "high" speed, and still are running slow, than the motors are shot. BBE is the one that needs to chime in on this one as he is definitely more qualified than I and probably has actual values to check for.

Depending on what auto stores are local, you may be able to purchase the relays, try them and return if it doesn't fix the problem. Technically, electrical parts like this are 'no return after install' but as long as you don't have to tear open a plastic sack, how will they ever tell?

Arvetus
Senior Level
Senior Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

That's kinda what I was thinking, Foo, but I don't know if the control relay is what changes from hi to lo speed or what. Or if the relays are shot altogether.
I would think that if the fans turn at all, that the relays would be good. And it's really weird because just last week, both were running at full speed, but I was still running warm. Now they're not running at high speed and nothing I do gets them to run at high speed. I'm hoping it's just that the motors are weak after 187k and 10 years of running... Replacing the assy Saturday with an HD one.

I'm gonna have the garage around the corner do a pressure test next week just to ensure there's no leaks, but I have plenty of power and the engine doesn't sound raspy or anything that would indicate a gasket issue. I replaced both upper and lowers around 100,000 miles...got 187k on it now... it's just strange... Hope it's not heads Evil or Very Mad But I can't imagine it being an actual leak because I have plenty of power and the coolant and oil both look good and aren't mixing or disappearing.

Truckman
Resident
Resident

2008 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The way to test the fans is jumper direct to 12 volts making sure you also have a ground side jumper... Idea ...Ben

Bill58
Resident
Resident

2006 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Low speed = Fan relay 1 energized = fans in series = each fan gets 6 volts.
High speed = Fan relay 1, 2 and 3 energized = Fans in parallel = each fan gets 12 volts
Arvetus
Senior Level
Senior Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thanks Bill!
using that info, and just thinking off the top of my head, it would appear that either:

1.) fan motors are just weak
2.) relay 2 and/or 3 is bad

right?

Bill58
Resident
Resident

2006 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Fan Relay Bad -----------------Low Speed-----------------------High Speed
Relay 1---------------------------no fans ---------------------------1 fan runs fast 1 fan no run
Relay 2---------------------------2 fans slow----------------------1 fan runs fast 1 fan no run
Relay 3---------------------------2 fans slow----------------------1 fan runs fast 1 fan no run

The difference between relay 2 bad and relay 3 bad is the “other fan” is running.

http://www.my-chevy-venture.co.....ystem.html

In the schematic--------Your car
Cool fan 1---------------Fan relay 1
Cool fan ----------------Fan relay 2
Cool fan 2---------------Fan relay 3

(Double check me on the top info, the run no run stuff or you can say WTF)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: