NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - New to this L36 to L67
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

New to this L36 to L67

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dagg5040

Posts per day: 0.01

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:56 pm    Post subject:  New to this L36 to L67 Reply with quote

I am not sure i understand this.... can someone guide to a place that explains what all you need to do this... my engine is going bad instead of replacing with l36 i am considering l67 for a little more power with internal upgrades and a better tranny.. I have a turbo kit on it know... will that f**k with my tune and i would like to get a monte ss gauge cluster for my car... will this work...
bbengineer
NAIOA Owner / Webmaster
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.07

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Chevrolet Corvette
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe
2008 Subaru Impreza
1970 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:01 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I responded to your email in which you said you already swapped in an 01 GTP engine, wiring and PCM...

Did you or did you not do the swap already?

If you are turbo L36 now and go to an L67, you will need to retune. If you use an Impala/Monte BCM and PCM, then the gauge cluster will work

BBEngineer

Decisions...Decisions...
dagg5040

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject:  No Reply with quote

Sorry i must not of got that.... i will check... I have a chance to buy that 01 engine and all the set up for my car... if i want it.. I am just trying to figure this all out... i want to order a monte ss cluster and i need a new engine.. prefer a l67 i all though have not started this.. i am looking for advice on what everyone would do... would they use the PCM from the 01 or would they reprogram theres... just wondering how it works...
bbengineer
NAIOA Owner / Webmaster
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Chevrolet Corvette
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe
2008 Subaru Impreza
1970 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You can't use the GTP PCM... it doesn't play nice in the Impala/Monte (air bags won't work)

If you want to go L67 (and HD trans) your best bet is an 04-05 Impala/Monte PCM & Engine harness and an L67 or L32 from a W-Body

BBEngineer

Decisions...Decisions...
dagg5040

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

bbengineer wrote:
I responded to your email in which you said you already swapped in an 01 GTP engine, wiring and PCM...

Did you or did you not do the swap already?

If you are turbo L36 now and go to an L67, you will need to retune. If you use an Impala/Monte BCM and PCM, then the gauge cluster will work

BBEngineer

Thnaks so the engine will work get a 04-05 harness and PCm from impala/ monte ss...
i will be ordering that gauge cluster in the next few weeks i hope to within a mth..

thanks

Last edited by dagg5040 on Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
bbengineer
NAIOA Owner / Webmaster
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Chevrolet Corvette
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe
2008 Subaru Impreza
1970 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:14 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The engine is fine and you might be able to use your PCM (you need to check the Serv code on the back and see if it's compatible)

You are better off with the Impala/Monte specific engine harness though

The cluster will work regardless of what you choose to do (L36, L67, 00-05)

BBEngineer

Decisions...Decisions...
BlackVenom
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.52

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

OP, there's a lot of threads covering engine swaps.

bbengineer wrote:
(air bags won't work)

They're just extra weight a/w....

Dan
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.31

1991 Jeep Cherokee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:36 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You seem like somebody whom is really easy to rip off. You can drop in an HD trans and L67 motor, do a little wiring, replace the fuel pump and use a stock supercharged PCM tune and have a nice little victory lap on the cheap until all of those pre-abused components start to fail, or you could rebuild absolutely everything and spend way more money that it's worth and at the end of the day you still have a poor handling FWD beater, albeit with a nice new motor and trans.

It's not easy. It will eat you alive if you don't know what you're doing. Sure, there's a lot of guys who have an affinity for all things mechanical who will tell you it's simple and that everyone should do it, and there's a lot of threads on a lot of sites about swaps. You don't seem like one of those guys.

You didn't buy a Honda, a Volkswagen, a BMW or a ponycar. You bought a W-body. It's the same mistake all of us here made. There's limited aftermarket support, limited community and it's frankly a limited chassis. It's big, heavy and slow no matter what you do to it, even if you put all the power in the world into the engine bay. It's underpowered, the suspension is crappy, the interior - well you sit in it so you know, even the lighting is subpar. But it's a car a lot of us love. Or like enough to keep. Or we're just so upside-down in it that it doesn't make sense to sell.

And some of us are just retarded.

If you need help diagnosing what your current engine problems are, you can leave me a voicemail at 732-646-LOUD. I'll give you a few minutes of my time tomorrow.

dagg5040

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:08 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

i am not looking at getting away really cheap.. i understand where you are comming from on that....
you get what you pay for... but

the Parts are from a friend that had a wreak. I just dont want to put money into something bc he says it will work... he smokes crack too.... you never know how much to trust him... the motor he is willing to sell it to me for a little of my time in building him a Couple of computers and putting in a network in his home.. this engine really is not costing me anything just my time... my car is not running right.. i have took it to friends and several difference places but heard the same thing... it dont stay running when you push the gas it just dies and when it does stay running it smells like a jet nasty smell.. the head is cracked or something. and there is a crack in the block.. it leaks oil like there is no tomorrow. the engine is trash.. i am just came along a engine that has no problems that i can pay someone to rebuild and install and get a little extra out of it without having to first buy the second hand engine and transmission...

So IDK I can be ripped off been there done that... but i love my car i have a lot into it already and why get rid of it... yea its a money pit but must things you love are... the car is just sitting right now.. and i am lost in this mess of putting a different engine in my car.. i am not good with cars i love Impala's they are good cars but i am not knowledgeable about them.. I dont want ripped off that is why i posted my concern...

when you have so many people close to you. you just dont know who to believe so i thought i would ask a complete stranger and has nothing into it...

I understand i can just replace my engine with the same for a couple of thousand i just though while its down i might as well make a little change...

I work on computers i can make a computer jump if i need to.. but not a car...

I am lost and confused.. is it worth it.... free engine just rebuild it and the tranny or should i just buy a Jasper Rebuild and go that way....

Thanks
whitelightnin04MC
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 1.57

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2009 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
You seem like somebody whom is really easy to rip off. You can drop in an HD trans and L67 motor, do a little wiring, replace the fuel pump and use a stock supercharged PCM tune and have a nice little victory lap on the cheap until all of those pre-abused components start to fail, or you could rebuild absolutely everything and spend way more money that it's worth and at the end of the day you still have a poor handling FWD beater, albeit with a nice new motor and trans.

It's not easy. It will eat you alive if you don't know what you're doing. Sure, there's a lot of guys who have an affinity for all things mechanical who will tell you it's simple and that everyone should do it, and there's a lot of threads on a lot of sites about swaps. You don't seem like one of those guys.

You didn't buy a Honda, a Volkswagen, a BMW or a ponycar. You bought a W-body. It's the same mistake all of us here made. There's limited aftermarket support, limited community and it's frankly a limited chassis. It's big, heavy and slow no matter what you do to it, even if you put all the power in the world into the engine bay. It's underpowered, the suspension is crappy, the interior - well you sit in it so you know, even the lighting is subpar. But it's a car a lot of us love. Or like enough to keep. Or we're just so upside-down in it that it doesn't make sense to sell.

If you need help diagnosing what your current engine problems are, you can leave me a voicemail at 732-646-LOUD. I'll give you a few minutes of my time tomorrow.

Dan 4 Prez!!!

Resident Prick, at your service.
SS - Corsa Catback, RT 3" DP, CC T304 PLOG, Wizaired, ZZP Offset Polys, GMPP Koni Kit, Hella Projectrofits, PT, ZZP HVTB, 10.4's
SatImpala
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.22

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2007 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Dan wrote:

^^This should be included in the reading to become a new member.

C-Squarez

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:25 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Dan wrote:

WOW. This is the best post EVAR...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: