NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Car shut off while driving.
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Car shut off while driving.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NewbiePala04SS
Cadet
Cadet

Posts per day: 0.03

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject:  Car shut off while driving. Reply with quote

I was in a parking lot so the lost of power steering and brakes werent a problem. this is what happened.

car was on whole time.

put car in park at store, let sister out.
went in Drive to bank window, put it in park.
Back in drive to a parking spot to wait for sister.
pulled up to store to pick her up. Put car in park, she opened the door and was getting in, i had brake on and put car in drive as she was getting in, she closed door i took off took one turn in parking lot, was making the 2nd turn and car shut off. radio was still playing.

put it in park, it started right up, hasn't repeated itself.

Friend said it sounds like a fuel pump.

I listed what i did, because i wasn't sure if it was some security thing with the changing gears.

Thanks for any help.

2004 SS
2007SSImpala
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.13

2007 Chevrolet Impala
2012 Chevrolet Cruze

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I would check your fuel filter. It gets clogged with crap after a while. It gets hard for fuel to pass through, sometimes totally clogging it to where no fuel gets through at all. If you find yourself in that similar position again, beat the fuel tank with your hand as hard as you can, try starting it again, if it starts, you might have a fuel pump issue.

Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.94

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Mine stalled at a redlight once. Only time it did it since I've had it. I think it a security issue? I forget rather common.

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
2007SSImpala
Dedicated
Dedicated

2007 Chevrolet Impala
2012 Chevrolet Cruze

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:03 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I know I had a Chevrolet Malibu that did that sometimes, but it turned out to be the fuel filter. Why not try it, it probably needs to be replace anyway.

Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.22

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

the only time the car turned off on me while driving was

When the fuel pump level sender or w.e kept saying i had a gas when i really was on empty.

and when i took my car to the dealer ship and they left the Positive terminal loose on my battery,

I was on the street going going 40+ and the car shut off. the brakes wouldnt work right and it got hard to steer Laughing

Dedicated
Dedicated

2007 Chevrolet Impala
2012 Chevrolet Cruze

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

So is it fixed? The brakes will get hard because the brake booster isn't getting vacuum from the engine running. And the steering wheel is hard because the power steering pump isn't pumping because the motor isn't running. That is gonna happen to almost every car.

Cadet
Cadet

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

not fixed yet, haven't had any problems again. I will look into getting a new fuel filter, just need to find where it is. Been busy all weekend. =/

Thanks for all the responses.
t3chn06789
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.22

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

the fuel filter is under the car....under the backseats Laughing
Its a nice copper color.

Cadet
Cadet

Posts per day: 0.02

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I had similar happen to a couple of my cars.... most recently my 04 CTS died on the train tracks and the radio started doing weird stuff. I replaced the apparently original battery. Problems gone.
My advice... if the problem could even remotely be electronical, check the battery first. And if it's more than 5 years old, just replace it.

ZeeVert
02 Impala LS
Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.54

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

ZeeVert wrote:
I had similar happen to a couple of my cars.... most recently my 04 CTS died on the train tracks and the radio started doing weird stuff. I replaced the apparently original battery. Problems gone.
My advice... if the problem could even remotely be electronical, check the battery first. And if it's more than 5 years old, just replace it.

his battery is brand new, Im gonna guess its the ignition switch. It was touchy before I sold the car (informed him about it prior to sale) It was causing other issues and even turned off once for me years ago.

Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.75

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1997 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

A possible cam sensor?

Sold 28/10/11
Truckman
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.26

2008 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject:  Re: Car shut off while driving. Reply with quote

NewbiePala04SS wrote:
Put car in park, she opened the door and was getting in, i had brake on and put car in drive as she was getting in, she closed door
The 2004 models had a chivalry detector that lets the BCM know when a gentleman is supposed to open a door for a lady...It sensed the driver was being a lazy, insensitive clod by forcing a girl to open and close a door herself and went immediately to "punish" mode...Solution: Upgrade to Sister Bypass Sensor (SBS) and feel free to treat your sister like a sister again... Rolling Eyes ...Ben

"A thing worth having is a thing worth cheating for" - Cuthbert J. Twillie "It must be mounted on a tripod! It must be mounted on a tripod!" - Cmdr. Frederick Mohr, Imperial German Army
NewbiePala04SS
Cadet
Cadet

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject:  Re: Car shut off while driving. Reply with quote

Truckman wrote:
NewbiePala04SS wrote:
Put car in park, she opened the door and was getting in, i had brake on and put car in drive as she was getting in, she closed door
The 2004 models had a chivalry detector that lets the BCM know when a gentleman is supposed to open a door for a lady...It sensed the driver was being a lazy, insensitive clod by forcing a girl to open and close a door herself and went immediately to "punish" mode...Solution: Upgrade to Sister Bypass Sensor (SBS) and feel free to treat your sister like a sister again... Rolling Eyes ...Ben

lmfao.

It happened to be again, in the same parking lot. I think its possible my knee hit the key, idk how, but i tested it again once i got in a parking spot and i can shut off my car by my knee hitting the key chain. not enough that it would damage anything, but enough for the key to turn "off"

Guess it could be the ignition switch, not a big problem as i now have a good idea of what causes it.

Thanks all. Very Happy
drew7997
Cadet
Cadet

Posts per day: 0.02

2005 Chevrolet Impala
2003 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

My Malibu needs the ignition replaced as we speak. In the manual it states- if your car does not start leave key in the ON position for 10 minutes then start the car. It usually happens when it's warm out however it hasn't happened this year yet... Same thing as you are stating- also I was using a copied key. I went to the dealer, bought a brand new key, No problems for a long time. although it did happen a few times again since I have had the new key. $10 bucks i think...
I would drive down the road then BAM no engine. shift to neutral, start it up, then keep going. Or pull over and give it 10 min Smile
Sundiver

Posts per day: 0

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I had same problem. My car started after few attempts and my engine stalled while driving once. It happened when I made turn on intersection so my steering wheel and brakes stopped working. Checking found problem with leaking pressure regulator. Probably this is your problem too.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: