Intermittent Dead Battery
2000-2001 Chevrolet Impala Police Vehicles
Equipped with Emergency Rear Compartment Lid Lamp Package (RPO T53)
Some police agencies may comment about an intermittent dead battery.
Police vehicles (commonly used in undercover work) equipped with option T53 (emergency rear compartment lid lamp package), may experience a ground feedback which results in the warning lamps being on when they should be off.
Using the J 42000 Battery Tester, test the state of charge of the vehicle's battery. Install a battery charger, if required.
Install a diode (connector) in CKT 149, dark blue/white striped wire leading to the warning lamps that are mounted to the inside of the rear compartment lid using the following procedure.
1. Open the rear compartment lid.
2. Locate the wiring harness and the dark blue/white striped wire.
3. Cut the dark blue/white striped wire in the vicinity of the retainer which holds the wiring harness to the rear compartment lid.
4. Install the diode (connector) to the dark blue/white striped wire. Install one end of the cut wire into each end of the connector with the white/silver band toward the vehicle's wiring harness.
5. When the wires and connector have been properly positioned on the wire, snap the connector closed.
6. Test the normal operation of the lamps.
7. If the lamps operate properly, close the rear compartment lid.
If the lamps do not operate properly, it's possible the diode is installed backwards. Correct out of line condition.
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum