NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - new member with few issues
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

new member with few issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Welcome, New Members!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
studjuice

Posts per day: 0

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:56 am    Post subject:  new member with few issues Reply with quote

Sup dudes. I have a 2002 silver impala that is okay. Although in the first month since i got it the turn signals stop working randomly and the catalytic converter has to be replaced...
on the first side note, the car is slow. like very slow, and boring to drive (not that i need to drive fast or accelerate fast, i'm not a douche) but there isn't even the option of not moving slow
second side note, i do not get good gas mileage. And it sucks, coming from a saturn sc1 where i got 37-39 mpg to an impala getting like 23-ISH. I'd love any useful tips to get better gas mileage since i'll be going to college and needing to conserve my money. especcially since two days ago i lost one of my two jobs (replaced by mexicans Sad )
So i joined here hoping you guys got some ideas on where/how i can fix this stuff cheaply/easily
sumdude
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.5

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Cadillac STS
2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Well first let me ask how many miles you have on the car? What size motor do you have? 3.4 or 3.8? Are you getting 23 ish in the city or highway? If the vehicle is a high mileage vehicle it may be in need of a tune up. Replace spark plugs, spark plug wires, air filter, fuel filter and the list goes on. Also when you say its slow is it hesitating? What i recommend is to test drive a few other comparable impalas at your local car dealerships and see if there is a difference. If there is then there may be something wrong with your vehicle.

SuperCharged 9c1 | Tuned | SD Headers
Next time you get pulled over and you know you have illegal tint Follow these instructions: Tie a string around your power window fuse, and after you roll down your drivers window yank the fuse, which will render your windows inoperable. They can't test the film if the meter can't fit over it.
EMMJAY
Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.62

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Dodge Magnum

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:09 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

sumdude wrote:
Well first let me ask how many miles you have on the car? What size motor do you have? 3.4 or 3.8? Are you getting 23 ish in the city or highway? If the vehicle is a high mileage vehicle it may be in need of a tune up. Replace spark plugs, spark plug wires, air filter, fuel filter and the list goes on. Also when you say its slow is it hesitating? What i recommend is to test drive a few other comparable impalas at your local car dealerships and see if there is a difference. If there is then there may be something wrong with your vehicle.

yeah hes @ like 164k w/ the 3.8...if u havent done any maintenance cept for the cats and the stuff u said id start doin what sumdude said plugs wires, filters...i think theres a thread around here w/ all this stuff in it..

http://www.naioa.com/v2/module.....mp;t=18391

helldorado wrote:
EMMJAY, your car is coming together nicely as well!

Frank4202 wrote:
EMMJAY, you and I have always had the same taste in cars Hang Head 2
studjuice

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

EMMJAY wrote:
sumdude wrote:

yeah hes @ like 164k w/ the 3.8...if u havent done any maintenance cept for the cats and the stuff u said id start doin what sumdude said plugs wires, filters...i think theres a thread around here w/ all this stuff in it..

http://www.naioa.com/v2/module.....mp;t=18391

yes, 164,xxx mileage, 3.8 motor, highway. Thanks for the tips though on what to tune up. Smile
But do you have any tips for replacing the cat?
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.29

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You can get high-flow aftermarket cats for 350+/-. Aftermarket cats might cause a light that will give you grief at e-test time, but an OEM cat will cost you an arm and a leg.

Deal with the cat first... it's dogging your performance big time.

Plugs and wires, fuel filter, air filters... you can do all of those on your own.

Replace the cat, make sure your tires are inflated properly and do the 100k maintenance. The car should be running a lot nicer than it is now.

Edit: you won't see 39mpg from this car. Saturns are a completely different beast and if I'm assuming your previous model correctly, you've gone from a plastic 4-banger to a big steel sedan with a 6-cylinder.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
studjuice

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Lingenfelter wrote:
You can get high-flow aftermarket cats for 350+/-. Aftermarket cats might cause a light that will give you grief at e-test time, but an OEM cat will cost you an arm and a leg.

Deal with the cat first... it's dogging your performance big time.

Plugs and wires, fuel filter, air filters... you can do all of those on your own.

Replace the cat, make sure your tires are inflated properly and do the 100k maintenance. The car should be running a lot nicer than it is now.

Edit: you won't see 39mpg from this car. Saturns are a completely different beast and if I'm assuming your previous model correctly, you've gone from a plastic 4-banger to a big steel sedan with a 6-cylinder.

yes sir, that is correct. It's been a very big change going from that car to this car. but only two differences are big enough to matter, gas mileage, and now i have to drive an automatic instead of a manual Sad but there is no way to do anything about that lol

Does anyone have any recommendations/warnings about certain types, brands, places to buy a catalytic converter from? Or where to get it installed?
Dan
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.31

1991 Jeep Cherokee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:27 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Your turn signal problem is most likely the flasher module, it's easy to replace if you're comfortable with taking the dash apart. It's right behind the flasher switch, you'll need an 8mm wrench, $30 donation to the dealer parts dept and about an hour of your time. I'm sure there's a how-to around here if you need it.

23mpg sounds fine to me, but poor performance is not. You should check for fluid pooling around your intake and oil in your coolant, indicating intake manifold gasket failure. The upper and lower intake gaskets are piss poor in the 3.8, and when they fail it can lead to cooling problems, poor performance, fouled spark plugs, clogged cat and other issues. If your cat is clogged, in addition to poor performance it can cause excessive misfire, indicated to you by a flashing MIL on your dash.

I recommend professional service for all emissions components, including catalytic convertor. If you wish to service it yourself, there are pre-fabricated bolt-on downpipe assemblies available from various vendors, including ZZP and 3800performance. Be aware that replacing the cat alone is often only servicing the symptom, and future complications may occur if the root of the problem is not addressed.

MyDvd7MD
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

Posts per day: 2.15

2000 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Welcome

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Welcome, New Members! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: