NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - To Repair and Keep Rolling... or Not?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

To Repair and Keep Rolling... or Not?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mlewis73
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.07

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject:  To Repair and Keep Rolling... or Not? Reply with quote

I have a 2001 Impala LS with 110,000 miles on the clock. Have considered trading for a used, 2007-2008 Impala. But have considered fixing/upgrading and rolling my Impala for another 110,000 miles.

The car currently needs some little issues resolved (weatherstrip/applique replacement on all doors, repair where wife damaged driver's side door breaking into the car, etc.) There are some other issues. Probably would cost a total of $2500 to put the car back to a point where I'll be happy with it and will not feel the need to replace it with a newer car (with a monthly payment).

Had a couple questions regarding driveability, too. Car seems to not shift smoothly under hard acceleration--transmission doesn't quite know how to behave. Car has done this since it was brand new.

Second, would love to get more torque/throttle response and would be interested in knowing if this is possible using stock PCM and regular unleaded. Just looking for a little more brisk acceleration, with a little less throttle.

Finally, under hard acceleration on a hot day, I hear a mechanical/gear sound coming from under the hood. A/C compressor?

Oh, one last issue... car occasionally does not want to start when hot. Has GM ever owned up to this problem and offered a fix?

Thanks... just trying to make a responsible decision, which might be to junk the car and ride the motorcycle to work every day!

On edit: car is actually quite "clean", I'm just picky and want to keep it new vice making payments on something a couple years old. A newer car of similar size and power, with the same features probably would be $17-$18k from a dealer's lot.

Mike

fastrunner08
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.16

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:46 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

well it sounds like your transmission might be on its way out, so you might also want to add a new one to your list of items to fix. Or at least rebuild it or have it rebuilt. As for your question with the stock pcm. yes it is possible to get more out of it. What you really need there is just to get it tuned. That would allow you to make the trasmission respond a bit more. and maybe get 10 to like 30 more hp out of it.

mlewis73
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.07

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

fastrunner08 wrote:
well it sounds like your transmission might be on its way out, so you might also want to add a new one to your list of items to fix. Or at least rebuild it or have it rebuilt. As for your question with the stock pcm. yes it is possible to get more out of it. What you really need there is just to get it tuned. That would allow you to make the trasmission respond a bit more. and maybe get 10 to like 30 more hp out of it.

Appreciate the info... though not sure the trans is on its way out due to the funny shifting/slipping. It has always done that under hard acceleration--even the original one that lasted only 37,000 miles behaved the same way.

70,000 on the current transmission. Smile Maybe reason enough to replace it!

fastrunner08
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.16

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

well in that case i could be just a bad tune, the only way to tell is to read the pcm and see what it is set at. HPT can do that or DHP can too i think.

Jnibbs24
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.29

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

wonder if some1 swapped pcms b4 they sold it too you.

NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.66

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I'd advise you to repeat my mantra when it comes to my car, "It's paid for... It's paid for.... It's paid for." Sure, I put 2500 bucks into repairs in a few months a year and a half ago and it needs some attention soon, but it's nice not to have to worry about a car payment and the increase in insurance premiums that would come with full coverage on a financed vehicle.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
Jnibbs24
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.29

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

X2!

200car -230 insurance sucks ass!

I'd check the transmission out. if its fine i say keep on keepin' on!

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.04

2006 Chevrolet Impala
2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:22 am    Post subject:  Re: To Repair and Keep Rolling... or Not? Reply with quote

mlewis73 wrote:
repair where wife damaged driver's side door breaking into the car

Please explain!

"People on ludes should not drive!" - Jeff Spicoli.
EricJ
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.24

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2007 Ford Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Our p.o.s. is paid for but I still keep full coverage on it. I do that because with my luck something will happen to it if I have liability only.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: