NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Had to have my car towed tonight.
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Had to have my car towed tonight.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
impala2k
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.19

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:54 am    Post subject:  Had to have my car towed tonight. Reply with quote

Well remember that super cool throttle body I installed. Well the two nipple things they gave me to bypass the coolant line running through the Throttle body. Well they broke in half, and say goodbye to the coolant. Driving down the road, LOW COOLANT LEVEL Light comes on...Hmmm...weird.. Then the temp gauge starts climbing, ok... it goes past normal operating temp, time to pull over... Stop turn the car off and the steam show begins. Sh*t. Pop the hood coolant spraying from under the Throttle body. Fu*k. Look under the Throttle body and sure enough, the little rubber nipples were pointing in opposite directions, plus they are split in half. God Dam* it. So a guy stops and I tell him what happened, I go to his shop and he gives me a piece of hose to bypass the 2 coolant nipples. Get back to the car, hose is too dam small. But we stretch it and make a temporary fix to try and get home. Fill the radiator and resevoir with water, thanks to the good samaritan. But it only takes about a gallon of water. So we get in start up the car and try and drive the 8 miles to home. about 3 miles later temp starts to rise, so we stop at gas station. Let it cool off, it sucked some coolant from the resovour, so we fill it again. Make it about 1 mile and temp goes up. Shi*t. So we pull into this gravel lot. and luckily my friend with me had Triple A. thank god. Call a tow truck, hour and a half later cars loaded, and Im on my way home. So.... I am going to get a piece of hose that FITS between the two nipples. and I think my thermostat is now stuck closed because car will not cool off. So New Upper radiator hose and a thermostat.. a few gallons of GD dexcool, and hopefully that fixes the problem. I am done with my rant. Any advice? I have heard thermostats are a pain to replace. Pointers on that??

Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.29

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:58 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

if u have the 3.4 i heard it a PITA, but if u 3.8 you straight.

Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.51

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Cadillac STS
2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:02 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

the only PITA on the 3400 is the crosover pipe is sorta in the way to remove the thermostat housing. If you can get a socket wrench that swivels thats do the job or even a wrench. All what your asking can be done in less than an hour though.

SuperCharged 9c1 | Tuned | SD Headers
Next time you get pulled over and you know you have illegal tint Follow these instructions: Tie a string around your power window fuse, and after you roll down your drivers window yank the fuse, which will render your windows inoperable. They can't test the film if the meter can't fit over it.
labriola
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.37

2005 Chevrolet Impala
2003 Chevrolet Cavalier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:01 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

the worsst part of the thermostat is getting the housing to screw back on.... (no room)..... make sure the thermostat u get is installed with the pinhole thing facing up... (u will know what im talking about when u get ur thermostat)

Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 2.01

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

That suck for sure! Replacing the t-stat is a peice of stale fruit cake. I just removed the TB to try to change mine and it made it easier.

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
chibiblacksheep
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.49

2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2007 Chevrolet Impala
1968 Chevrolet Camaro
2013 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If only you got that eBay TB... Laughing

Have you tried contacting about the TB issue?

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.07

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I would fill and properly bleed the cooling system before concluding the thermostat is stuck shut. 2 Cents
impala2k
Resident
Resident

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

WileE wrote:
I would fill and properly bleed the cooling system before concluding the thermostat is stuck shut. 2 Cents

What is the proper way to bleed the system??

Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

impala2k wrote:
WileE wrote:

There's a bleeder valve on the t-stat housing to get the air out. That's all I know. I never bleed the rad before.

04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
impala2k
Resident
Resident

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

PushrodPower wrote:
impala2k wrote:
WileE wrote:

There's a bleeder valve on the t-stat housing to get the air out. That's all I know. I never bleed the rad before.

Maybe fill the radiator, and the resovoir, start the car and hold the bleeder valve open? Maybe?

edit: since there is hardly any dexcool left in the system would I be safe to do a flush and switch to green coolant?

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.07

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Their is a bleeder valve on top of the coolant bypass tube fill the RADIATOR open the valve with the engine on. Fill the rad. as the level drops. When the coolant comes out of the valve steady close the valve. Not sure if its relavant but i had the heat set to max heat when i blead mine.
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

WileE wrote:
Their is a bleeder valve on top of the coolant bypass tube fill the RADIATOR open the valve with the engine on. Fill the rad. as the level drops. When the coolant comes out of the valve steady close the valve. Not sure if its relavant but i had the heat set to max heat when i blead mine.

Oh yeah, that must be where I saw the valve at. That bypass has been leaking on mine ever since I took it to a shop to have the HGs changed. It bleeds itself. Laughing

04ImpalaSS wrote:

wedebrook wrote:

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: