NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - 100K Miles, what maintenance should I do?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

100K Miles, what maintenance should I do?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matty4522

Posts per day: 0

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 11:31 pm    Post subject:  100K Miles, what maintenance should I do? Reply with quote

Hey Everyone,
New to the forums here. Bought my 2003 Impala LS in November 09' with 80,000 Miles on it. I must say, I've fallen in love. I have just reached 100,000 (actually at 105K Now) and wondering what type of maintenance I should do. I use Synthetic oil and to be on the safe side, change it every 5K. I have done the spark plugs and wires and rotated the tires recently.

Swapped Alternator and Serpentine belt recently after alternator failed. Also, did both rear Struts this past December. I was considering flushing the tranny but have heard from both sides to do it or not. The tranny shifts good as new but the fluid is a little bit dark red. As far as noises, or quirks, I don't notice any. If you guys can think of anything that fail on the car more often than not, let me know, I plan on keeping her for a while so I'd like to avoid a future breakdown.
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.56

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 11:42 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Sounds like you have the major bases covered. I did my plugs at 105k and they were pretty much toast. You might want to think about a fuel filter though.

As far as the trans go, you should be good to go for a pan drop and filter change. Pretty simple job, but it can make a mess.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
Pimpala
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.05

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 11:52 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I did a tranny flush at 136,XXX...... Granted my Trans only has around 30,XXX on it... It was replaced right around the mileage your at..... If you never had a problem ever with not having any slips in gear or too soft or too rough of shifting gears and it downshifts good then I would say go for a flush. As fixing the car... If nothing is wrong you dont have anything to fix... Just have about 1500 cash on hand as a saftey net.... Just in case. One day the car might be running fine and the next boom you'll need a UIM and LIM gaskets.... Just using as a reference is all.
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.56

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 11:57 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Pimpala wrote:
One day the car might be running fine and the next boom you'll need a UIM and LIM gaskets.... Just using as a reference is all.

While I don't agree with Pimpala's assessment of the trans flush ( I would never do a true flush on these cars) I can agree with having a stash of cash on hand. I had trip to the dealer that involved LIM gasket repair, UIM replacement, tranny cooler lines, power steering lines and thermostat replacement at once to the tune of 1800 bucks.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
Pimpala
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.05

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 12:15 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:
Pimpala wrote:
One day the car might be running fine and the next boom you'll need a UIM and LIM gaskets.... Just using as a reference is all.

While I don't agree with Pimpala's assessment of the trans flush ( I would never do a true flush on these cars)

Crying or Very sad mine turned out aokay! even though my trans has like 70,000 less miles on it.... Laughing OKAY I was wrong.
NUTSgoWEEE
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.29

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

A couple things you could for fairly cheap are flush the brake fluid- old fluid absorbs moisture which decreases the hydraulic abilities of it.

Make sure all your filters are good- fuel filter, air filter, even cabin filter.

I did a pan-drop and filter at 100k but my fluid was very dark and burnt and now 4k miles later it's slipping, shifting hard and I'm ready for it to break down any day.

Also struts/springs if they were never done and alignment

NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 1.27

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Ford Mustang
1981 Chevrolet Silverado
2007 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

We also have a maintenance schedule in the knowledge database. Very Happy

Master Level
Master Level

Posts per day: 0.63

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Mercedes-Benz E Class
2006 Nissan Murano
2003 BMW 5 Series

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 11:50 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Just do a trans pan drop, replace the filter, then refill. Do NOT do a pressurized "flush". There are ways to flush the transmission "naturally" using the transmission's own pump using the cooler lines and buckets, but its probably more trouble than really worth it.

2002 Galaxy Silver Sedan - LS cluster - Debadged - Intrigue compass/autodim mirror - DIC - Regal graphite leather seats - LS console with floor shift conversion - Monte Carlo black leather steering wheel - LS springs - KYB GR-2 Struts - GMPP sway bars and rear STB - Fog light frontend harness - LS Bumper with fog lights - Painted trim and side skirts

2006 Nissan Murano - Autodim/compass mirror
2006 Mercedez-Benz E350 - Stock for stock, its faster than an SS, woot!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
bbengineer
NAIOA Owner / Webmaster
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.08

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Chevrolet Corvette
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe
2008 Subaru Impreza
1970 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 12:12 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If you do not know the service history of the tranny, DO NOT change the fluid at all or you will simply hasten its demise

BBEngineer

Decisions...Decisions...
matty4522

Posts per day: 0

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thanks for the tranny advice. The guy who had it before me never did the tranny apparently. I got in contact with him and ironically, he said when he had the car, Chevy Replaced the Alternator (Which crapped out) the Rear Struts (Which made a noise and when I took one off it just fell back into the tube) and the heater blower motor (which whines when its on) Aftermarket parts must just suck huh?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: