NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - no power to the blower motor, its not the resistors...
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

no power to the blower motor, its not the resistors...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bob442

Posts per day: 0.01

2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject:  no power to the blower motor, its not the resistors... Reply with quote

so randomly my blower motor stopped working on my 2005 monte carlo. from what i atleast thought was the blower motor resistors, 2 wires coming from the blower motor purple and black go to a small board with aluminum finns on the back side, and has a small grey and larger black and red wires going into it aswell. the red and black give me a volt reading of 6.98V, and the small grey goes up and down slowly from .01-.12v with the fan switch moving back and forth. and the other set of power wires (black and purple have only 0.98v. i've checked all my fuses in all 4 fuse boxes and i cant seem to find anything wrong with anything... any suggestions? i also got a new resistor (that atleast what i think it is) and plugged it in and still no go. i havent tested the blower motor, but its not getting enough voltage anyways to run so i cant imagine it being the problem. my only other guess is the ignition switch...
05imp
Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.53

2005 Chevrolet Impala
2000 Ford Ranger
2007 Ford Explorer
2008 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 7:32 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Quote:
small board with aluminum finns on the back side

That is your blower control module.
From what you have discribed so far I would check the blower motor itself

Last edited by 05imp on Sun May 16, 2010 7:47 am; edited 1 time in total
bbengineer
NAIOA Owner / Webmaster
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.09

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Chevrolet Corvette
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe
2008 Subaru Impreza
1970 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 7:36 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Just an FYI, the 2005 doesn't have a blower motor resistor... it's all solid state... if it's not the blower motor, it could be the HVAC control head as well (since you said you already replaced the blower motor control module)

BBEngineer

Decisions...Decisions...
bob442

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

tested the blower motor. works great, ripped the s**t out of what ever it was laying on. tested the ignition switch, everything works as it should, and from what i can tell, the fan switch on the hvac controls works, i'm going to go grab one form the wrecker and try it out shortly just incase. thanks guys.
05imp
Senior Level
Senior Level

2005 Chevrolet Impala
2000 Ford Ranger
2007 Ford Explorer
2008 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Are you sure your getting power to / threw the fuse in the junction block under the hood on the pass. side firewall of the car ? If I rememder correctly it is a big green 30 fuse.
bob442

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 12:09 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

found the problem! Gm's crack pipe design flaw, running the power wire an extra 8 feet up and around the dash, and having terminal energy loss cause the 'hot spot' in a connector for the power and ground supply for the blower motor to melt, directly behind the radio in a harness connector. what a load of BS!
jblong83

Posts per day: 0

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

http://www.carcomplaints.com/C.....king.shtml

Post #7 - Someone with this exact issue. I will rip everything apart and post back my findings.

the light on my passenger side slide bar has gone out on my car, has anyone got a fix for that issue?
jblong83

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

jblong83 wrote:
http://www.carcomplaints.com/C.....king.shtml

Post #7 - Someone with this exact issue. I will rip everything apart and post back my findings.

the light on my passenger side slide bar has gone out on my car, has anyone got a fix for that issue?

I got at this on Sunday, and I found the harness directly behind the temperature control unit to have somewhat of a short in it. While the key was on, and the fan speed dial set to full speed, while I moved the harness around my car went "nuts". The chimes were going off, and lights flashing everywhere on the cluster. No blower activity at all though, never once got the blower motor to turn on.
BlackVenom
Member Level
Member Level

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

jblong83 wrote:

Take it out, take it apart, unsolder the old, solder in new, and try not to break it. That's the jest. BBE would know more & can do it for you w/ LEDs. I'd send it to him or buy a back up before trying it myself. Laughing

http://www.bbengineer.com/cars.....tm#DRL_ALC

jblong83

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Ok, so I've got some info to share here. Came across this post on chevrolet forums 2004 impala blower motor issue.

Quote:
Welcome to the forum. I guess that leaves the HVAC control module itself. Are you pulling the 30A HVAC blower fuse to stop the motor? Instead, if you pull the 10A A/C Cruise fuse from the left I/P fuse block and 10A DIC/RKE fuse from the right I/P fuse block, you'll completely pull the power from the HVAC control module. If that stops the motor, the fault will be within the HVAC control module.

My blower motor was still staying on.
Quote:
The blower motor control processor module is powered by the 30A HVAC blower fuse (hot at all times). It then runs the blower motor according to the speed control signal from the HVAC control module. The HVAC control module (control head, if you will) is powered by the 10A A/C Cruise fuse (hot with key on) and 10A DIC/RKE fuse (hot at all times). Thus, if the blower motor continues to run with the HVAC control module powered down (both said fuses removed), the blower motor control processor module is probably at fault.

So, it has been determined that I need to replace my "blower motor control processor module" I have searched gmpartsdirect.com and did not find it on there.
aka Linear Power Module taken from this post There is a nice schematic to look at as well.
Quote:
Bulletin No.: 06-01-39-002C

Date: January 18, 2008

TECHNICAL

Subject:
Blower Motor Inoperative or May Not Shut Off in Extremely Low Ambient Temperature Conditions (Replace Blower Motor Control Module)

Models:
2004-2007 Buick Rainier
2003-2006 Cadillac Escalade Models
2003-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
2003-2007 Chevrolet TrailBlazer Models
2007 Chevrolet Silverado (Classic)
2003-2006 GMC Sierra Models Yukon Models
2003-2007 GMC Envoy Models
2007 GMC Sierra (Classic)
2003-2004 Oldsmobile Bravada
2003-2006 HUMMER H2 Models

with Automatic Temperature Control HVAC System (RPO CJ2)

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to update the model years that are affected and add the Oldsmobile Bravada. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 06-01-39-002B (Section 01 - HVAC).

Condition

Some customers may comment that the blower motor is inoperative or continues to run after the vehicle has been shut off.

Cause

These conditions may be caused by a blower motor control module failure. This failure may occur when the vehicle is operated in ambient temperature conditions of-23C (-10F) or below.

Correction

Replace the blower motor control module if the vehicle experienced a blower motor control module failure in extremely cold ambient temperature conditions.

Technicians are to replace the blower motor control module also called the Linear Power Module (LPM) with the P/N listed below. Refer to either the Blower Motor Control Processor Replacement or Blower Motor Processor Replacement-Auxiliary procedures in SI. After replacement of the blower motor control module the customer may notice a slightly higher than expected blower motor speed at any of the blower speed settings.

I am concluding here that the processor is the small board with aluminum fins. Can someone verify this?
05imp
Senior Level
Senior Level

2005 Chevrolet Impala
2000 Ford Ranger
2007 Ford Explorer
2008 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:06 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The pic I have in this thread is the blower motor module I took out of my 05.
Had the problem of the blower running full tilt key on or off unless I pulled the batt cables or the main blower fuse.
Replaced module and all is well.
I believe I ordered the replacement module from zspot who is a mod here and works for a gm parts supplier.
Think autozone has it too
yep
http://www.autozone.com/autozo.....06413_0_0_

But I would go thru zspot or your local dealer if they have one on hand.
jblong83

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

05imp wrote:
The pic I have in this thread is the blower motor module I took out of my 05.
Had the problem of the blower running full tilt key on or off unless I pulled the batt cables or the main blower fuse.
Replaced module and all is well.
I believe I ordered the replacement module from zspot who is a mod here and works for a gm parts supplier.
Think autozone has it too
yep
http://www.autozone.com/autozo.....06413_0_0_

But I would go thru zspot or your local dealer if they have one on hand.

OK, so that autozone link is for a resistor, the '04 and '05 do not have a resistor from my research. But a related part was this control switch It literally looks like those two are identicle parts, with different names. I just need a solid way to verify this is the part I need so i'm not throwing parts at it and wasting money.
05imp
Senior Level
Senior Level

2005 Chevrolet Impala
2000 Ford Ranger
2007 Ford Explorer
2008 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

They are just using the generic name for the part so people can find it . (blower resister/module)
I showed the one of the three that came up in the search on autozone that should be the correct one for you. Cannot say for sure of the quality of the part though it does look like the OEM part.
Thats why I mentioned zspot he'll get you the right OEM part and since it looks like you would have to wait for it to be shipped either way he would be a better choice at least it was for me. Plus buying from him helps support the site.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: