NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Rack and pinion removal?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Rack and pinion removal?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
foxmulder
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.05

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject:  Rack and pinion removal? Reply with quote

Seems fairly simple with the ALLDATA info... Only thing i'm having a problem with is lowering the frame. Is it complicated? Anything i should look out for?
ScottMPala
Member Level
Member Level
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 0.49

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject:  Re: Rack and pinion removal? Reply with quote

foxmulder wrote:
Seems fairly simple with the ALLDATA info... Only thing i'm having a problem with is lowering the frame. Is it complicated? Anything i should look out for?

Be careful. Use a floor or tranny jack. Torque the bolts to spec. Align your car afterward.

Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 1.6

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2009 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Use a engine support brace that holds the motor and trans up by the fenders and have a floor jack on the transmission pan.

Resident Prick, at your service.
SS - Corsa Catback, RT 3" DP, CC T304 PLOG, Wizaired, ZZP Offset Polys, GMPP Koni Kit, Hella Projectrofits, PT, ZZP HVTB, 10.4's
foxmulder
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject:  Re: Rack and pinion removal? Reply with quote

ScottMPala wrote:
foxmulder wrote:

Be careful. Use a floor or tranny jack. Torque the bolts to spec. Align your car afterward.

The manual only shows 1 bolt...Am i lowering both or just 1?
whitelightnin04MC
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2009 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject:  Re: Rack and pinion removal? Reply with quote

foxmulder wrote:
ScottMPala wrote:
foxmulder wrote:

There are four subframe bolts. From experience, the subframe doesn't come down much until two bolts are completely out and the other two are almost all the way out.

SS - Corsa Catback, RT 3" DP, CC T304 PLOG, Wizaired, ZZP Offset Polys, GMPP Koni Kit, Hella Projectrofits, PT, ZZP HVTB, 10.4's
foxmulder
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject:  Re: Rack and pinion removal? Reply with quote

whitelightnin04MC wrote:
foxmulder wrote:
ScottMPala wrote:
foxmulder wrote:

There are four subframe bolts. From experience, the subframe doesn't come down much until two bolts are completely out and the other two are almost all the way out.
Wow getting a little worried now...I only have jack stands and a floor jack.
whitelightnin04MC
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2009 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You could probably still do it with that. The engine and trans will still be held in by the dog bones. To lower the cradle/subframe, you'll need to remove the nuts holding the engine mount and trans mount to the cradle and you'll need to loosen/remove the cradle bolts.

Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.78

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:56 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

whitelightnin04MC wrote:
Use a engine support brace that holds the motor and trans up by the fenders and have a floor jack on the transmission pan.

Don't you mean the oil pan (with a long block of wood underneath, of course)? The oil pan is steel and the tranny pan is aluminum...

whitelightnin04MC
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2009 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Frank wrote:
whitelightnin04MC wrote:

Don't you mean the oil pan (with a long block of wood underneath, of course)? The oil pan is steel and the tranny pan is aluminum...

I supported mine by the trans pan with a block of wood long enough to span it. I've done it several times and nothing bad has happened. Are you sure it's aluminum? How would the pan magnet stick to it if it was aluminum?

ScottMPala
Member Level
Member Level

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

whitelightnin04MC wrote:
Frank wrote:
whitelightnin04MC wrote:

I supported mine by the trans pan with a block of wood long enough to span it. I've done it several times and nothing bad has happened. Are you sure it's aluminum? How would the pan magnet stick to it if it was aluminum?

I lifted mine and used a tranny jack under the subframe

Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2009 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

ScottMPala wrote:
whitelightnin04MC wrote:
Frank wrote:
whitelightnin04MC wrote:

I'm confused. Are you saying that you left the subframe in place and lifted the engine up to get the rack out? Or are you saying that you lifted the car and lowered the subframe using a transmission jack?

Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.78

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 1:33 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

whitelightnin04MC wrote:
Frank wrote:
whitelightnin04MC wrote:

You're right, it's steel...I just think the oil pan is much stronger is all. Smile

ScottMPala
Member Level
Member Level

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 9:48 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

whitelightnin04MC wrote:
ScottMPala wrote:
whitelightnin04MC wrote:
Frank wrote:
whitelightnin04MC wrote:

I'm confused. Are you saying that you left the subframe in place and lifted the engine up to get the rack out? Or are you saying that you lifted the car and lowered the subframe using a transmission jack?

Sorry. I lifted the car on a rack at work and used a transmission jack to lower the subframe. I just loosened the two rear bolts and lowered it just past where the bolts start threading in

Master Level
Master Level

Posts per day: 0.64

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Mercedes-Benz E Class
2006 Nissan Murano
2003 BMW 5 Series

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Loosen the two front bolts a few turns, then place a jack under the center of the rear of the cradle and start unbolting the two rear bolts. Use the jack to slowly lower the cradle a little until you can get the rack out.

2002 Galaxy Silver Sedan - LS cluster - Debadged - Intrigue compass/autodim mirror - DIC - Regal graphite leather seats - LS console with floor shift conversion - Monte Carlo black leather steering wheel - LS springs - KYB GR-2 Struts - GMPP sway bars and rear STB - Fog light frontend harness - LS Bumper with fog lights - Painted trim and side skirts

2006 Nissan Murano - Autodim/compass mirror
2006 Mercedez-Benz E350 - Stock for stock, its faster than an SS, woot!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
k6ng6r00
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.44

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

MISHNAH wrote:
Loosen the two front bolts a few turns, then place a jack under the center of the rear of the cradle and start unbolting the two rear bolts. Use the jack to slowly lower the cradle a little until you can get the rack out.

Do you need to loosen anything else? engine/transmission mount? Anyone have any other tips? Im going to try doing this myself...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: