NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account
 

  
NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Rack and pinion removal?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Rack and pinion removal?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
foxmulder
Forum Regular
Forum Regular


Joined: May 30, 2004
Posts: 253
Posts per day: 0.05
Location: Houston, Texas

2000 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject:  Rack and pinion removal? Reply with quote

Seems fairly simple with the ALLDATA info... Only thing i'm having a problem with is lowering the frame. Is it complicated? Anything i should look out for?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ScottMPala
Member Level
Member Level
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor


Joined: Jan 05, 2008
Posts: 1744
Posts per day: 0.49
Location: Mid West

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject:  Re: Rack and pinion removal? Reply with quote

foxmulder wrote:
Seems fairly simple with the ALLDATA info... Only thing i'm having a problem with is lowering the frame. Is it complicated? Anything i should look out for?


Be careful. Use a floor or tranny jack. Torque the bolts to spec. Align your car afterward.

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
whitelightnin04MC
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor


Joined: Nov 05, 2006
Posts: 6364
Posts per day: 1.6
Location: I got big balls and dey jangle like a lotta keys.

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2009 Subaru Impreza


PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Use a engine support brace that holds the motor and trans up by the fenders and have a floor jack on the transmission pan.

_________________
Proud Helldorado Nut Hugger

Resident Prick, at your service.
SS - Corsa Catback, RT 3" DP, CC T304 PLOG, Wizaired, ZZP Offset Polys, GMPP Koni Kit, Hella Projectrofits, PT, ZZP HVTB, 10.4's
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
foxmulder
Forum Regular
Forum Regular


Joined: May 30, 2004
Posts: 253
Posts per day: 0.05
Location: Houston, Texas

2000 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject:  Re: Rack and pinion removal? Reply with quote

ScottMPala wrote:
foxmulder wrote:
Seems fairly simple with the ALLDATA info... Only thing i'm having a problem with is lowering the frame. Is it complicated? Anything i should look out for?


Be careful. Use a floor or tranny jack. Torque the bolts to spec. Align your car afterward.


The manual only shows 1 bolt...Am i lowering both or just 1?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
whitelightnin04MC
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor


Joined: Nov 05, 2006
Posts: 6364
Posts per day: 1.6
Location: I got big balls and dey jangle like a lotta keys.

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2009 Subaru Impreza


PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject:  Re: Rack and pinion removal? Reply with quote

foxmulder wrote:
ScottMPala wrote:
foxmulder wrote:
Seems fairly simple with the ALLDATA info... Only thing i'm having a problem with is lowering the frame. Is it complicated? Anything i should look out for?


Be careful. Use a floor or tranny jack. Torque the bolts to spec. Align your car afterward.


The manual only shows 1 bolt...Am i lowering both or just 1?


There are four subframe bolts. From experience, the subframe doesn't come down much until two bolts are completely out and the other two are almost all the way out.

_________________
Proud Helldorado Nut Hugger

Resident Prick, at your service.
SS - Corsa Catback, RT 3" DP, CC T304 PLOG, Wizaired, ZZP Offset Polys, GMPP Koni Kit, Hella Projectrofits, PT, ZZP HVTB, 10.4's
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
foxmulder
Forum Regular
Forum Regular


Joined: May 30, 2004
Posts: 253
Posts per day: 0.05
Location: Houston, Texas

2000 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject:  Re: Rack and pinion removal? Reply with quote

whitelightnin04MC wrote:
foxmulder wrote:
ScottMPala wrote:
foxmulder wrote:
Seems fairly simple with the ALLDATA info... Only thing i'm having a problem with is lowering the frame. Is it complicated? Anything i should look out for?


Be careful. Use a floor or tranny jack. Torque the bolts to spec. Align your car afterward.


The manual only shows 1 bolt...Am i lowering both or just 1?


There are four subframe bolts. From experience, the subframe doesn't come down much until two bolts are completely out and the other two are almost all the way out.
Wow getting a little worried now...I only have jack stands and a floor jack.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
whitelightnin04MC
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor


Joined: Nov 05, 2006
Posts: 6364
Posts per day: 1.6
Location: I got big balls and dey jangle like a lotta keys.

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2009 Subaru Impreza


PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You could probably still do it with that. The engine and trans will still be held in by the dog bones. To lower the cradle/subframe, you'll need to remove the nuts holding the engine mount and trans mount to the cradle and you'll need to loosen/remove the cradle bolts.

_________________
Proud Helldorado Nut Hugger

Resident Prick, at your service.
SS - Corsa Catback, RT 3" DP, CC T304 PLOG, Wizaired, ZZP Offset Polys, GMPP Koni Kit, Hella Projectrofits, PT, ZZP HVTB, 10.4's
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor


Joined: Aug 16, 2005
Posts: 3465
Posts per day: 0.78
Location: Colorado

2001 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:56 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

whitelightnin04MC wrote:
Use a engine support brace that holds the motor and trans up by the fenders and have a floor jack on the transmission pan.


Don't you mean the oil pan (with a long block of wood underneath, of course)? The oil pan is steel and the tranny pan is aluminum...

_________________
2001 Galaxy Silver 9C1 w/ L67 and 4T65E-HD...and a few other mods. Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
whitelightnin04MC
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor


Joined: Nov 05, 2006
Posts: 6364
Posts per day: 1.6
Location: I got big balls and dey jangle like a lotta keys.

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2009 Subaru Impreza


PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Frank wrote:
whitelightnin04MC wrote:
Use a engine support brace that holds the motor and trans up by the fenders and have a floor jack on the transmission pan.


Don't you mean the oil pan (with a long block of wood underneath, of course)? The oil pan is steel and the tranny pan is aluminum...


I supported mine by the trans pan with a block of wood long enough to span it. I've done it several times and nothing bad has happened. Are you sure it's aluminum? How would the pan magnet stick to it if it was aluminum?

_________________
Proud Helldorado Nut Hugger

Resident Prick, at your service.
SS - Corsa Catback, RT 3" DP, CC T304 PLOG, Wizaired, ZZP Offset Polys, GMPP Koni Kit, Hella Projectrofits, PT, ZZP HVTB, 10.4's
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ScottMPala
Member Level
Member Level
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor


Joined: Jan 05, 2008
Posts: 1744
Posts per day: 0.49
Location: Mid West

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

whitelightnin04MC wrote:
Frank wrote:
whitelightnin04MC wrote:
Use a engine support brace that holds the motor and trans up by the fenders and have a floor jack on the transmission pan.


Don't you mean the oil pan (with a long block of wood underneath, of course)? The oil pan is steel and the tranny pan is aluminum...


I supported mine by the trans pan with a block of wood long enough to span it. I've done it several times and nothing bad has happened. Are you sure it's aluminum? How would the pan magnet stick to it if it was aluminum?


I lifted mine and used a tranny jack under the subframe

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
whitelightnin04MC
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor


Joined: Nov 05, 2006
Posts: 6364
Posts per day: 1.6
Location: I got big balls and dey jangle like a lotta keys.

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2009 Subaru Impreza


PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

ScottMPala wrote:
whitelightnin04MC wrote:
Frank wrote:
whitelightnin04MC wrote:
Use a engine support brace that holds the motor and trans up by the fenders and have a floor jack on the transmission pan.


Don't you mean the oil pan (with a long block of wood underneath, of course)? The oil pan is steel and the tranny pan is aluminum...


I supported mine by the trans pan with a block of wood long enough to span it. I've done it several times and nothing bad has happened. Are you sure it's aluminum? How would the pan magnet stick to it if it was aluminum?


I lifted mine and used a tranny jack under the subframe


I'm confused. Are you saying that you left the subframe in place and lifted the engine up to get the rack out? Or are you saying that you lifted the car and lowered the subframe using a transmission jack?

_________________
Proud Helldorado Nut Hugger

Resident Prick, at your service.
SS - Corsa Catback, RT 3" DP, CC T304 PLOG, Wizaired, ZZP Offset Polys, GMPP Koni Kit, Hella Projectrofits, PT, ZZP HVTB, 10.4's
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor


Joined: Aug 16, 2005
Posts: 3465
Posts per day: 0.78
Location: Colorado

2001 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 1:33 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

whitelightnin04MC wrote:
Frank wrote:
whitelightnin04MC wrote:
Use a engine support brace that holds the motor and trans up by the fenders and have a floor jack on the transmission pan.


Don't you mean the oil pan (with a long block of wood underneath, of course)? The oil pan is steel and the tranny pan is aluminum...


I supported mine by the trans pan with a block of wood long enough to span it. I've done it several times and nothing bad has happened. Are you sure it's aluminum? How would the pan magnet stick to it if it was aluminum?


You're right, it's steel...I just think the oil pan is much stronger is all. Smile

_________________
2001 Galaxy Silver 9C1 w/ L67 and 4T65E-HD...and a few other mods. Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ScottMPala
Member Level
Member Level
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor


Joined: Jan 05, 2008
Posts: 1744
Posts per day: 0.49
Location: Mid West

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 9:48 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

whitelightnin04MC wrote:
ScottMPala wrote:
whitelightnin04MC wrote:
Frank wrote:
whitelightnin04MC wrote:
Use a engine support brace that holds the motor and trans up by the fenders and have a floor jack on the transmission pan.


Don't you mean the oil pan (with a long block of wood underneath, of course)? The oil pan is steel and the tranny pan is aluminum...


I supported mine by the trans pan with a block of wood long enough to span it. I've done it several times and nothing bad has happened. Are you sure it's aluminum? How would the pan magnet stick to it if it was aluminum?


I lifted mine and used a tranny jack under the subframe


I'm confused. Are you saying that you left the subframe in place and lifted the engine up to get the rack out? Or are you saying that you lifted the car and lowered the subframe using a transmission jack?


Sorry. I lifted the car on a rack at work and used a transmission jack to lower the subframe. I just loosened the two rear bolts and lowered it just past where the bolts start threading in

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MISHNAH
Master Level
Master Level


Joined: Mar 08, 2004
Posts: 3158
Posts per day: 0.64
Location: Baton Rouge, LA/Houston, TX GEAUX TIGERS!!!

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Mercedes-Benz E Class
2006 Nissan Murano
2003 BMW 5 Series


PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Loosen the two front bolts a few turns, then place a jack under the center of the rear of the cradle and start unbolting the two rear bolts. Use the jack to slowly lower the cradle a little until you can get the rack out.

_________________
2002 Galaxy Silver Sedan - LS cluster - Debadged - Intrigue compass/autodim mirror - DIC - Regal graphite leather seats - LS console with floor shift conversion - Monte Carlo black leather steering wheel - LS springs - KYB GR-2 Struts - GMPP sway bars and rear STB - Fog light frontend harness - LS Bumper with fog lights - Painted trim and side skirts

2006 Nissan Murano - Autodim/compass mirror
2006 Mercedez-Benz E350 - Stock for stock, its faster than an SS, woot!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
k6ng6r00
Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor


Joined: Oct 12, 2008
Posts: 1439
Posts per day: 0.44


2004 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

MISHNAH wrote:
Loosen the two front bolts a few turns, then place a jack under the center of the rear of the cradle and start unbolting the two rear bolts. Use the jack to slowly lower the cradle a little until you can get the rack out.

Do you need to loosen anything else? engine/transmission mount? Anyone have any other tips? Im going to try doing this myself...

_________________
2011 Kizashi
2004 3400 - CAI, zzp 2.5in dp, 06 ss 2.5in catback, overkill pcm, SSC springs on AGX struts, GMPP Handling Kit, Kenwood/Focal/Infinity/Polk Sound System
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Forums ©
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. Comments and posts are property of the poster. All other content is © 2008 by the NAIOA.


Use of this site constitutes agreement with the NAIOA Terms of Service (TOS)


PHP-Nuke Copyright © 2005 by Francisco Burzi. This is free software, and you may redistribute it under the GPL. PHP-Nuke comes with absolutely no warranty, for details, see the license.
Server Local Time: September 19, 2017, 1:40:57 pm
Page Generation: 0.14 Seconds ( SQL 45:152 in 0.01 Seconds )