NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - I found a DHP Powertuner....
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

I found a DHP Powertuner....
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GOTIT4CHEAP16
Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.81

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject:  I found a DHP Powertuner.... Reply with quote

I found a DHP Powertuner someone is selling for $110. Wanted to get you guys advice if i should buy it? The last owner had a grand prix l67.The software isnt included.

Mods: 3.0 MPS | Gen V | N* TB | LQ4 MAF | 130# Springs | XP Cam | |Stage 3 Ported Heads| Roller Master Double Timing Set | CAI | PRJ Wires | AL104 | Speed Daddy Headers | EGR Delete | ZZP Stage 2 Intercooler | 42lb Injectors |
13.4 @ 106

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3183434
nightryder
Master Level
Master Level
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Sounds pretty cheap for a DHP (they usually go for $250). What version is it? does it come with a keyspan adapter?

You can sign up on powertuner.com and PM an admin to have the ownership transferred to you and download the software there.

Senior Level
Senior Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

nightryder wrote:
Sounds pretty cheap for a DHP (they usually go for $250). What version is it? does it come with a keyspan adapter?

You can sign up on powertuner.com and PM an admin to have the ownership transferred to you and download the software there.

I'm not really sure what a keyspan adapter is but it doesn't really say if it includes one or the version number. He claims it was never used it because someone totaled his car.

Here is the included pic. Maybe the keyspan is in the picture?

Mods: 3.0 MPS | Gen V | N* TB | LQ4 MAF | 130# Springs | XP Cam | |Stage 3 Ported Heads| Roller Master Double Timing Set | CAI | PRJ Wires | AL104 | Speed Daddy Headers | EGR Delete | ZZP Stage 2 Intercooler | 42lb Injectors |
13.4 @ 106

nightryder
Master Level
Master Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

That looks like the version with AD inputs ("better" version).

DHP tuners run off a serial port, unless you have a laptop with one you will need to spend $40 to buy an adapter (keyspan) so you can run it off a USB port. It's not in the pic from what I can see.

If it is legit that is a helluva deal for a DHP.

Senior Level
Senior Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

nightryder wrote:
That looks like the version with AD inputs ("better" version).

DHP tuners run off a serial port, unless you have a laptop with one you will need to spend $40 to buy an adapter (keyspan) so you can run it off a USB port. It's not in the pic from what I can see.

If it is legit that is a helluva deal for a DHP.

Thanks nightryder.

13.4 @ 106

00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.94

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I'd go for it, even spending another 40 or 50 for the keyspan you're still saving money.

Just don't blow up you're top swapped imp now Laughing

Senior Level
Senior Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

00impala123 wrote:
I'd go for it, even spending another 40 or 50 for the keyspan you're still saving money.

Just don't blow up you're top swapped imp now Laughing

yea I just got done talking to the guy on the phone and I'm going to go pick it up tommorow. It's a complete 04 ss swap and I'm gonna get help with the tuning too. Very Happy

13.4 @ 106

IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

Posts per day: 3.61

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

My advice is to do a s**t ton of reading before you touch the tuner. I spent a few weeks trying to learn what I could before I realized tuning would be better left to someone more experienced than me.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:
My advice is to do a s**t ton of reading before you touch the tuner. I spent a few weeks trying to learn what I could before I realized tuning would be better left to someone more experienced than me.

I did the same thing...too complicated for me, I can manage doing the install of the hard parts but tuning is a b****. It would be cool though if u get that tuner to have whoever does the tuning to kinda teach you what they're doing so you can learn a bit

Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

Posts per day: 1.59

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2009 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

00impala123 wrote:
IffyG wrote:

I did the same thing...too complicated for me, I can manage doing the install of the hard parts but tuning is a b****. It would be cool though if u get that tuner to have whoever does the tuning to kinda teach you what they're doing so you can learn a bit

A professional tuner isn't going to teach you how to do what it is that he does for a living. Also, tuning is more about understanding how fuel systems and combustion engines work than it is about knowing what numbers to change in a program. It's very involving and easy to f**k up. It's easy to read the forums and ask how to change things, but knowing what happens when you change things and understanding what all the tables represent is the key to good tuning.

Resident Prick, at your service.
SS - Corsa Catback, RT 3" DP, CC T304 PLOG, Wizaired, ZZP Offset Polys, GMPP Koni Kit, Hella Projectrofits, PT, ZZP HVTB, 10.4's
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

whitelightnin04MC wrote:

A professional tuner isn't going to teach you how to do what it is that he does for a living.

there's a lot of cool enough guys out there that will show you a thing or two...I mean yes, he isn't going to teach you everything he knows, but what I meant was that he may be cool enough to show him how the tuner works and stuff..not necessarily teach him how to tune the whole thing lol

NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

Posts per day: 3.61

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

[quote="whitelightnin04MC"It's very involving and easy to f**k up. [/quote]

Precisely why I decided my money would be better spent paying someone to tune my car when I get to that point.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
whitelightnin04MC
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

Posts per day: 1.59

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2009 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:33 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

00impala123 wrote:
whitelightnin04MC wrote:

A professional tuner isn't going to teach you how to do what it is that he does for a living.

there's a lot of cool enough guys out there that will show you a thing or two...I mean yes, he isn't going to teach you everything he knows, but what I meant was that he may be cool enough to show him how the tuner works and stuff..not necessarily teach him how to tune the whole thing lol

They're not going to tell you anything that you couldn't figure out from reading a wiki on the internet. Learning how to tune a car is a lot more involved than a casual conversation with a tuner. Especially if you've got no idea what they'r'e talking about to begin with.

Resident Prick, at your service.
SS - Corsa Catback, RT 3" DP, CC T304 PLOG, Wizaired, ZZP Offset Polys, GMPP Koni Kit, Hella Projectrofits, PT, ZZP HVTB, 10.4's
tstephens11
Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.66

2004 Chevrolet Impala
2011 GMC Sierra

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:10 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

whitelightnin04MC wrote:
00impala123 wrote:
whitelightnin04MC wrote:

They're not going to tell you anything that you couldn't figure out from reading a wiki on the internet. Learning how to tune a car is a lot more involved than a casual conversation with a tuner. Especially if you've got no idea what they'r'e talking about to begin with.

X2
It takes a ton of research to even begin to start tuning stuff. I've had my tuner over a year, all I've tune so far is the transmission settings. I haven't had time with school and work to get to involved with it.
I've done a ton of research, just don't want to brick my PCM, and have to be at work in 30 minutes. I'm waiting until I get a week or so off, to really get into it.

Senior Level
Senior Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I first want to get rid of my governor. Hope that wont be too dificult. Lots of reading to do or just take it to the shop that is doing my swap and ask if he can do it for me.

13.4 @ 106

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: