NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account
 

  
NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - I found a DHP Powertuner....
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

I found a DHP Powertuner....
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
GOTIT4CHEAP16
Senior Level
Senior Level


Joined: Sep 12, 2008
Posts: 2681
Posts per day: 0.81
Location: Bowie, MD

2000 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject:  I found a DHP Powertuner.... Reply with quote

I found a DHP Powertuner someone is selling for $110. Wanted to get you guys advice if i should buy it? The last owner had a grand prix l67.The software isnt included.

_________________
L67 Engine Swapped w/ 2005 Impala SS
Mods: 3.0 MPS | Gen V | N* TB | LQ4 MAF | 130# Springs | XP Cam | |Stage 3 Ported Heads| Roller Master Double Timing Set | CAI | PRJ Wires | AL104 | Speed Daddy Headers | EGR Delete | ZZP Stage 2 Intercooler | 42lb Injectors |
13.4 @ 106


http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3183434
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nightryder
Master Level
Master Level
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor


Joined: Oct 18, 2006
Posts: 3256
Posts per day: 0.81
Location: Lockport NY

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Subaru Impreza


PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Sounds pretty cheap for a DHP (they usually go for $250). What version is it? does it come with a keyspan adapter?

You can sign up on powertuner.com and PM an admin to have the ownership transferred to you and download the software there.

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
GOTIT4CHEAP16
Senior Level
Senior Level


Joined: Sep 12, 2008
Posts: 2681
Posts per day: 0.81
Location: Bowie, MD

2000 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

nightryder wrote:
Sounds pretty cheap for a DHP (they usually go for $250). What version is it? does it come with a keyspan adapter?

You can sign up on powertuner.com and PM an admin to have the ownership transferred to you and download the software there.


I'm not really sure what a keyspan adapter is but it doesn't really say if it includes one or the version number. He claims it was never used it because someone totaled his car.

Here is the included pic. Maybe the keyspan is in the picture?

_________________
L67 Engine Swapped w/ 2005 Impala SS
Mods: 3.0 MPS | Gen V | N* TB | LQ4 MAF | 130# Springs | XP Cam | |Stage 3 Ported Heads| Roller Master Double Timing Set | CAI | PRJ Wires | AL104 | Speed Daddy Headers | EGR Delete | ZZP Stage 2 Intercooler | 42lb Injectors |
13.4 @ 106


http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3183434
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nightryder
Master Level
Master Level
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor


Joined: Oct 18, 2006
Posts: 3256
Posts per day: 0.81
Location: Lockport NY

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Subaru Impreza


PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

That looks like the version with AD inputs ("better" version).

DHP tuners run off a serial port, unless you have a laptop with one you will need to spend $40 to buy an adapter (keyspan) so you can run it off a USB port. It's not in the pic from what I can see.

If it is legit that is a helluva deal for a DHP.

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
GOTIT4CHEAP16
Senior Level
Senior Level


Joined: Sep 12, 2008
Posts: 2681
Posts per day: 0.81
Location: Bowie, MD

2000 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

nightryder wrote:
That looks like the version with AD inputs ("better" version).

DHP tuners run off a serial port, unless you have a laptop with one you will need to spend $40 to buy an adapter (keyspan) so you can run it off a USB port. It's not in the pic from what I can see.

If it is legit that is a helluva deal for a DHP.


Thanks nightryder.

_________________
L67 Engine Swapped w/ 2005 Impala SS
Mods: 3.0 MPS | Gen V | N* TB | LQ4 MAF | 130# Springs | XP Cam | |Stage 3 Ported Heads| Roller Master Double Timing Set | CAI | PRJ Wires | AL104 | Speed Daddy Headers | EGR Delete | ZZP Stage 2 Intercooler | 42lb Injectors |
13.4 @ 106


http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3183434
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor


Joined: Feb 01, 2010
Posts: 2653
Posts per day: 0.94
Location: Chicago, IL

2000 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I'd go for it, even spending another 40 or 50 for the keyspan you're still saving money.

Just don't blow up you're top swapped imp now Laughing

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GOTIT4CHEAP16
Senior Level
Senior Level


Joined: Sep 12, 2008
Posts: 2681
Posts per day: 0.81
Location: Bowie, MD

2000 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

00impala123 wrote:
I'd go for it, even spending another 40 or 50 for the keyspan you're still saving money.

Just don't blow up you're top swapped imp now Laughing


yea I just got done talking to the guy on the phone and I'm going to go pick it up tommorow. It's a complete 04 ss swap and I'm gonna get help with the tuning too. Very Happy

_________________
L67 Engine Swapped w/ 2005 Impala SS
Mods: 3.0 MPS | Gen V | N* TB | LQ4 MAF | 130# Springs | XP Cam | |Stage 3 Ported Heads| Roller Master Double Timing Set | CAI | PRJ Wires | AL104 | Speed Daddy Headers | EGR Delete | ZZP Stage 2 Intercooler | 42lb Injectors |
13.4 @ 106


http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3183434
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor


Joined: May 19, 2007
Posts: 13731
Posts per day: 3.61
Location: Nashville, TN

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu


PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

My advice is to do a s**t ton of reading before you touch the tuner. I spent a few weeks trying to learn what I could before I realized tuning would be better left to someone more experienced than me.

_________________
helldorado wrote:
GLWTGFY. Big Thumbs Up

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.


d
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor


Joined: Feb 01, 2010
Posts: 2653
Posts per day: 0.94
Location: Chicago, IL

2000 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:
My advice is to do a s**t ton of reading before you touch the tuner. I spent a few weeks trying to learn what I could before I realized tuning would be better left to someone more experienced than me.


I did the same thing...too complicated for me, I can manage doing the install of the hard parts but tuning is a b****. It would be cool though if u get that tuner to have whoever does the tuning to kinda teach you what they're doing so you can learn a bit

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
whitelightnin04MC
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor


Joined: Nov 05, 2006
Posts: 6364
Posts per day: 1.59
Location: I got big balls and dey jangle like a lotta keys.

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2009 Subaru Impreza


PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

00impala123 wrote:
IffyG wrote:
My advice is to do a s**t ton of reading before you touch the tuner. I spent a few weeks trying to learn what I could before I realized tuning would be better left to someone more experienced than me.


I did the same thing...too complicated for me, I can manage doing the install of the hard parts but tuning is a b****. It would be cool though if u get that tuner to have whoever does the tuning to kinda teach you what they're doing so you can learn a bit


A professional tuner isn't going to teach you how to do what it is that he does for a living. Also, tuning is more about understanding how fuel systems and combustion engines work than it is about knowing what numbers to change in a program. It's very involving and easy to f**k up. It's easy to read the forums and ask how to change things, but knowing what happens when you change things and understanding what all the tables represent is the key to good tuning.

_________________
Proud Helldorado Nut Hugger

Resident Prick, at your service.
SS - Corsa Catback, RT 3" DP, CC T304 PLOG, Wizaired, ZZP Offset Polys, GMPP Koni Kit, Hella Projectrofits, PT, ZZP HVTB, 10.4's
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor


Joined: Feb 01, 2010
Posts: 2653
Posts per day: 0.94
Location: Chicago, IL

2000 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

whitelightnin04MC wrote:


A professional tuner isn't going to teach you how to do what it is that he does for a living.


there's a lot of cool enough guys out there that will show you a thing or two...I mean yes, he isn't going to teach you everything he knows, but what I meant was that he may be cool enough to show him how the tuner works and stuff..not necessarily teach him how to tune the whole thing lol

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor


Joined: May 19, 2007
Posts: 13731
Posts per day: 3.61
Location: Nashville, TN

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu


PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

[quote="whitelightnin04MC"It's very involving and easy to f**k up. [/quote]

Precisely why I decided my money would be better spent paying someone to tune my car when I get to that point.

_________________
helldorado wrote:
GLWTGFY. Big Thumbs Up

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.


d
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
whitelightnin04MC
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor


Joined: Nov 05, 2006
Posts: 6364
Posts per day: 1.59
Location: I got big balls and dey jangle like a lotta keys.

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2009 Subaru Impreza


PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:33 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

00impala123 wrote:
whitelightnin04MC wrote:


A professional tuner isn't going to teach you how to do what it is that he does for a living.


there's a lot of cool enough guys out there that will show you a thing or two...I mean yes, he isn't going to teach you everything he knows, but what I meant was that he may be cool enough to show him how the tuner works and stuff..not necessarily teach him how to tune the whole thing lol


They're not going to tell you anything that you couldn't figure out from reading a wiki on the internet. Learning how to tune a car is a lot more involved than a casual conversation with a tuner. Especially if you've got no idea what they'r'e talking about to begin with.

_________________
Proud Helldorado Nut Hugger

Resident Prick, at your service.
SS - Corsa Catback, RT 3" DP, CC T304 PLOG, Wizaired, ZZP Offset Polys, GMPP Koni Kit, Hella Projectrofits, PT, ZZP HVTB, 10.4's
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tstephens11
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor


Joined: Apr 03, 2008
Posts: 2284
Posts per day: 0.66
Location: Denham Springs LA

2004 Chevrolet Impala
2011 GMC Sierra


PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:10 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

whitelightnin04MC wrote:
00impala123 wrote:
whitelightnin04MC wrote:


A professional tuner isn't going to teach you how to do what it is that he does for a living.


there's a lot of cool enough guys out there that will show you a thing or two...I mean yes, he isn't going to teach you everything he knows, but what I meant was that he may be cool enough to show him how the tuner works and stuff..not necessarily teach him how to tune the whole thing lol


They're not going to tell you anything that you couldn't figure out from reading a wiki on the internet. Learning how to tune a car is a lot more involved than a casual conversation with a tuner. Especially if you've got no idea what they'r'e talking about to begin with.

X2
It takes a ton of research to even begin to start tuning stuff. I've had my tuner over a year, all I've tune so far is the transmission settings. I haven't had time with school and work to get to involved with it.
I've done a ton of research, just don't want to brick my PCM, and have to be at work in 30 minutes. I'm waiting until I get a week or so off, to really get into it.

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GOTIT4CHEAP16
Senior Level
Senior Level


Joined: Sep 12, 2008
Posts: 2681
Posts per day: 0.81
Location: Bowie, MD

2000 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I first want to get rid of my governor. Hope that wont be too dificult. Lots of reading to do or just take it to the shop that is doing my swap and ask if he can do it for me.

_________________
L67 Engine Swapped w/ 2005 Impala SS
Mods: 3.0 MPS | Gen V | N* TB | LQ4 MAF | 130# Springs | XP Cam | |Stage 3 Ported Heads| Roller Master Double Timing Set | CAI | PRJ Wires | AL104 | Speed Daddy Headers | EGR Delete | ZZP Stage 2 Intercooler | 42lb Injectors |
13.4 @ 106


http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3183434
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Forums ©
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. Comments and posts are property of the poster. All other content is © 2008 by the NAIOA.


Use of this site constitutes agreement with the NAIOA Terms of Service (TOS)


PHP-Nuke Copyright © 2005 by Francisco Burzi. This is free software, and you may redistribute it under the GPL. PHP-Nuke comes with absolutely no warranty, for details, see the license.
Server Local Time: October 18, 2017, 2:36:17 am
Page Generation: 0.12 Seconds ( SQL 45:146 in 0.02 Seconds )