NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Steering Clunk and Wheel Shudder
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Steering Clunk and Wheel Shudder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kissmyss
Uber
Uber
Elite Contributor (Amount: 1) Elite Contributor

Posts per day: 0.23

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Dodge Durango

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:46 am    Post subject:  Steering Clunk and Wheel Shudder Reply with quote

I had play in the wheel on the drivers side, which turned out to be the bearing. The dealer said the steering clunk was the intermediate shaft. They both were replace under warranty, I replaced the front pads and rotors to cover the shudder. The bearing took care of the wheel play, but the steering shaft didn't take care of the clunk and the brake overhaul didn't take care of the shudder. I re-torqued the cradle bolts and check the front end and everything looks snug. The shudder happens only when making a quick stop from speeds above 40mph, The clunk is more profound when the vehicle is on the ground as opposed to being on jack stands. What other things could cause the clunk and the shudder? I'm thinking they may be related, maybe a bushing or strut mount problem. The car was repaired under warranty and I have an appointment to see the mechanic who worked on the car on Monday. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm hoping to locate and repair the problem myself. If I can't, I'll report what the mechanic comes up with.
Thanks

05 SS Mods = CAI intake, Power wire upgrade, ZZP alternator Booster, Front & rear STB's, ZZP SS DP wcat, ZZP 180 t-stat, ZZP 3.5 tensioner pulley (both), ZZP S/S ceramic plog with ceramic crossover, Royal Purple 5/30, Goodyear Gatorbacks, 6000k hid head & fog lights, Overkill Pcm, Aeroforce triple gauge w/pillar pod, 35% window tint, Thrasher 3.4 s/c pulley, Autolite 104's, MCR 200 amp alternator, PRJ wires, Intense Shift kit, ZZP 1.9 modded rockers, ZZP stage 2 Tb, Extreme Dimensions rear bumper lip

Last edited by Kissmyss on Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
MCO_Death
Guru
Guru
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 0.93

1994 GMC Sierra
2006 Dodge Charger
1995 Buick Regal
2012 Dodge Charger

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:41 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Sounds like you may have a bad CV-Joint.

That's your best friend.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kissmyss
Uber
Uber

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Dodge Durango

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:58 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll check that and the lower control arms.

05 SS Mods = CAI intake, Power wire upgrade, ZZP alternator Booster, Front & rear STB's, ZZP SS DP wcat, ZZP 180 t-stat, ZZP 3.5 tensioner pulley (both), ZZP S/S ceramic plog with ceramic crossover, Royal Purple 5/30, Goodyear Gatorbacks, 6000k hid head & fog lights, Overkill Pcm, Aeroforce triple gauge w/pillar pod, 35% window tint, Thrasher 3.4 s/c pulley, Autolite 104's, MCR 200 amp alternator, PRJ wires, Intense Shift kit, ZZP 1.9 modded rockers, ZZP stage 2 Tb, Extreme Dimensions rear bumper lip
Kissmyss
Uber
Uber

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Dodge Durango

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Although I didn't get many responses here, I did from various places I posted this question. They ranged from CV joint to strut mounts, control arm bush, ball joint, tie rod ends, steering rack and rack bushings. I checked these and other suggestions and couldn't find the culprit. I did find that the noise is almost none existent when the car is on jack stands. My car ramps don't raise the vehicle high enough to allow complete access to the undercarriage. The wheels need to be turned with the weight of the vehicle on the tires. I'm going to try to find another way to check it, with the suspension loaded. It would be nice to tell the mechanic what to fix or fix it myself if it's not covered. I also don't want to just throw parts at it and waste money that could have went to mods. I'll post the exact cause when I find it, right now it's more of a nuisance than a problem.

UPDATE: I went to the dealer and spent 45 minutes with the mechanic who worked on the car. We checked everything on the front end and all was good. He said the noise is a common problem and comes from the rack. He said the rack can be changed, but the noise will return. He showed me some other Imps that had the same condition. The noise can only be heard when you rock the steering wheel, most people don't do that and never notice the condition. The mechanic was a really nice guy, took the time to go over everything and answered all my question. I decided since the rack will be change under the warranty and the problem will return I'll wait until the warranty is about to expire to have it done.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: