NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Coolant Leak... $1200 to get fixed?!? (What part is it?)
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Coolant Leak... $1200 to get fixed?!? (What part is it?)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Domo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.09

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer
2005 Chrysler 300C

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject:  Coolant Leak... $1200 to get fixed?!? (What part is it?) Reply with quote

Ok.. so I have a coolant leak (2001 Chevy Impala LS, 112xxx miles) and after reading all the horror stories decided to get it checked out immediately...

I have a warranty on the car so i figured ha! if its the casket im covered!

So i take it to the Chevy dealership.. they give me a rental and im on my way..
get a phonecall that they see the leak but the warranty company wants me to approve of them tearing into the engine because they think its a cylinder head because its leaking so much. I tell them the car has not overheated at all, (but i see that cylinder heads are covered under my warranty) so i say ok. Told me if its the cylinder head, its covered if not, im taking a 1k shot. ouch.

They get into it and see that its a plastic tube going across the intake that is leaking so they are saying that the tube isnt covered so im lookin at 1200 for them to fix it 0_0

what I want to know from you guys is what plastic tube could they be talking about??? i feel like i was swindled for them to get 1k out of me and they already knew it was the tube... :/
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.67

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

It's probably the lower intake manifold gasket, but even that repair should max out at 900 dollars at a dealer. Call them back and find out exactly what they are repairing... it sounds like they are trying to swindle you.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
Domo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Chrysler 300C

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

yeah thats how i feel.. from what i understand they was sayin it would be 1000 to look into seeing if its the cylinder head.. seemingly along the way they saw it was the "tube" *smh* i gotta wait til tommorrow to call them back they are closed now FTL
BlackVenom
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.55

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If its the lower intake gasket you're getting shafted worse than I, and I thought I got it bad @ $350 iirc.

IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The LIM repair price varies wildly depending on if you take it to a Mom and Pop mechanic or the dealer. Hell mine was 800 bucks and I wasn't too upset considering how long it takes to do.

Dan wrote:

d
SatImpala
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.23

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2007 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The only plastic tubes I know of are the coolant elbows. They run like $14 total?
https://www.zzperformance.com/.....;catid=103
Changing them out is an hour or two, depending on how patient you are during the process. Dude, don't let Chevy rip you off.
Tell them you have the largest Impala club on earth that will take their good name and drag it through the mud if they dare screw with your hard earned money.
Edit: READ THE WARRANTY CAREFULLY. Most of them do not cover gaskets. Which means if they tear the heads off and it's just a gasket and the head is mechanically sound, guess who's out a grand or so right there. They won't tell you that either.

Domo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Chrysler 300C

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

SatImpala wrote:
The only plastic tubes I know of are the coolant elbows. They run like $14 total?
https://www.zzperformance.com/.....;catid=103
Changing them out is an hour or two, depending on how patient you are during the process. Dude, don't let Chevy rip you off.
Tell them you have the largest Impala club on earth that will take their good name and drag it through the mud if they dare screw with your hard earned money.
Edit: READ THE WARRANTY CAREFULLY. Most of them do not cover gaskets. Which means if they tear the heads off and it's just a gasket and the head is mechanically sound, guess who's out a grand or so right there. They won't tell you that either.

THATS what basically happened! they tore into it, found out it was just a "tube" from my understanding. i will ask more tommorrow to see if they actually took anything apart i.e. can i just take it home and see what i can do.

and on my warranty under engine it list "....lifters, cylinder head, valves and guides, valve springs..." then a little later says "...timing belt tensioner, intake and exhaust mainifolds, flywheel, balance shafts, harmonic blancer and retainer bolt..."

and it has a section called "Seals and Gaskets"
"All Seals and gaskets on the assemblies listed in engine, transmission, front wheel drive, rear wheel drive, streering, front suspension and brakes"

makes me wish i would have told them no about getting into the engine to even check the cylinder head and just dealt with it later.. *smh*
SatImpala
Resident
Resident

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2007 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

They should have been able to find it without taking the top of the engine off......
http://www.naioa.com/v2/module.....mp;t=17376
I would print out these steps and take them to the dealership to let them know you are aware of the total labor involved so they can't B.S. you.

Domo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Chrysler 300C

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

ok thanks!

plus the only other coolant hose i was able to even get a google hit about was the Coolant Bypass hose that runs under the intake mainfold... and apparently it isnt available for the aftermarket.. :/
Inferno03LS
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.43

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Cadillac Escalade

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

plastic tube in the intake manifold?

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Chrysler 300C

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

i think under apparently.... So if thats all it is and they havent done much of anything im picking it up asap.

***EDIT UPDATE****
ahh so they are screwing me either way... if i dont let them do the work, its still 800 for the labor and i have to tow the car out... then i have to pay for the rental(3 days) ...

looked up the parts.. and its 3 tubes they said one goes across the V valley..

and they said while they are in there "the gasket gets replaced"

so its $1200... Shocked im SO screwed.. lol....
SatImpala
Resident
Resident

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2007 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

These are the elbows I was talking about......They don't go across the "Valley". The valley has a huge lower intake manifold in it with an upper on top of it. The go on the passenger side of the engine. The upper elbow is GM p/n 12565082, and the lower one is 24503423.
12575714 I could not verify...maybe Zspot could.
Only the alternator and tensioner assy get pulled for these, not the heads. There is no reason for the heads to be pulled for this.

Edit to my edit: They might be talking about the tube that sits in the upper intake manifold.....It's dirt cheap. I agree that maybe they mean LIM and UIM gaskets which have to be replaced if they pulled the intake. But still 1200 is very expensive. You're talking about only $50 in parts.

Last edited by SatImpala on Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Domo wrote:
i think under apparently.... So if thats all it is and they havent done much of anything im picking it up asap.

***EDIT UPDATE****
ahh so they are screwing me either way... if i dont let them do the work, its still 800 for the labor and i have to tow the car out... then i have to pay for the rental(3 days) ...

looked up the parts.. and its 3 tubes they said one goes across the V valley..

and they said while they are in there "the gasket gets replaced"

so its $1200... Shocked im SO screwed.. lol....

What gaskets? If they pulled the heads and replaced the head gaskets, I'd stir up a huge s**t storm since they rarely, if ever go bad. If its the LIM gasket, I wouldn't be as upset because they fail in almost every single one of these cars and you would end up having it done in the future anyway.

Dan wrote:

d
ZSPOT
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 1.3

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Ford Mustang
1981 Chevrolet Silverado
2007 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

That other line is an air injection pipe. It has nothing to do with a coolant leak. But being a 2001, it was probably brittle and broke when they started tearing into it.

Did they pin point the leak? Because if how I'm reading your posts,.. is that the elbows are leaking. That by no means warrants removing the intake manifolds. They must be trying to kill a few birds with one stone.

Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.54

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

ZSPOT wrote:
That other line is an air injection pipe. It has nothing to do with a coolant leak. But being a 2001, it was probably brittle and broke when they started tearing into it.

Did they pin point the leak? Because if how I'm reading your posts,.. is that the elbows are leaking. That by no means warrants removing the intake manifolds. They must be trying to kill a few birds with one stone.

^THIS
AT MOST you'd have to remove the alt bracket, I can swap them out in a 1/2 hour or so....
The LIM gaskets, prob 2 hours (same w/ head gaskets) If they pull the heads to "inspect" the gaskets, you'll need to replace them anyway...
The only HG failures I have seen on our cars are either from improper torquing or massive amounts of boost

Hell FWIW I'm running FelPros on a 3.0" pulley

His dog ran away and didn't come back for a few hours on the first fire up too. It was awesome.

When babies cry and animals flee, you know you did something right Laughing

Signature truncated by system. Maximum of 6 lines allowed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: