NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Annoying hesitation or miss
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Annoying hesitation or miss

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ken729
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.04

2000 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject:  Annoying hesitation or miss Reply with quote

Got the 2000 LS in to the dealer finally and had the BCM replaced. That solved alot of problems except for one. The car sometimes hesitates and stumbles on the first application of light throttle only after it has been re-restarted and only if the temperature gauage is reading about 140 to 160. There is somewhat of a heavy exhaust smell that goes with it but not the sulfur "rotten eggs" kind. This all only lasts for about 10 seconds and then abruptly ends as I accelerate through it. Then it runs perfectly - lots of power and no more hesitation. This does not happen every time and the severity of the hesitation is sometimes barely detectable. I'm not sure what this is and I'm guessing maybe an inaccurate ECT or plugs (AutoliteDouble Plat with 40k). The dealer found code P0106 and P1106 in records - so I replaced the MAP and cleaned the EGR pintle with no impact. No CEL on. Anyone have any ideas what causes this?
chibiblacksheep
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.47

2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2007 Chevrolet Impala
1968 Chevrolet Camaro
2013 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Rotten eggs = Cat

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2000 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Not getting any rotten egg smell - just heavier than normal exhaust but only when it happens. A local shop tested the cat for restriction last month and said it was fine. The car has excellent power and acceleration. Couldn't be happier .
ken729
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2000 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:25 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Ok I replaced the coolant temperature sensor - didnt fix it. I took my wife to the store and then one houir later at restart the temperature gauge is reading just under 140 degrees. The cars starts right up, idles smooth and then as I get 20 feet out of the parking space in traffic it chugs and stumbles real bad for about 50 feet . Then, very abruptly it smooths right out like nothing ever happened. This is not the first time this has occurred but when it does ithe engine temp is just at the 140 mark.. Will a reflash of the PCM be a possible fix?
Garii
Cadet
Cadet

Posts per day: 0.03

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:18 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I would rush to PCM, are you sure its just at 140 degrees or does it happen under mild acceleration?
ken729
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2000 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

It occurs around 140 degrees or slightly less. The latest development is ithis:
I changed the spark plugs yesterday and it still does it. Then after a couple of warm up cycles I got what I've been waiting so long for - a check engine light in my driveway on a 140 degree restart. Started down the road to get a scan of what codes it may be and the car will not shift out of first. Finally rented a code scanner and got PO122 throttle position sensor. Just finished installing a new one and the car seems to be back to normal. I hope this was the fix -its been a long time trying to track this down.
Baywing
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.06

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Can you do the TPS yourself? Mine has been doing similar to what you describe for the last 4-5 years, just never was able to hunt it down. Last time I did a TPS on a vehicle (92 K-5 Blazer) it had to be programmed.
ken729
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2000 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Prior to today I have never replaced a TPS sensor. In my vehicle with the 3.8 liter , I purchased the TPS sensor and a 1/4 inch socket security torx ( 6 point) set at AutoZone. (You need the T-20 size to get the screw out). I opted for removing the thermostat cover in front of the TPS so I could get at the bottom TPS screw. It's a tight squeeze if you don't and I did not want to risk dropping the screw. The one and only trick was when installing the new TPS make sure the metal pin in the throttle body that rotates is on top of the liitle metal blade in the TPS so it moves it at the same ttime. You will see that . When your done, there's no prgramming as far as I know. The car so far seems tp be fixed -but I'm about to go on my 3rd test drive.
Garii
Cadet
Cadet

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Alright good! let us know how it turns out.
ken729
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2000 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I could have sworn I posted my 3rd test drive results. Anyway, on the 3rd test drive the shifting problem is fixed but the chugging/hesitation at 140 degree restart is back. Funny how it starts up real nice - idles smooth - and then when the secondary air pump turns off it chugs like a train, Very ryhmic -and then smooths out after 15 seoconds or so. I am beginning to suspect excess PCM fuel mapping at that temp..
Garii
Cadet
Cadet

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

ken729 wrote:
I could have sworn I posted my 3rd test drive results. Anyway, on the 3rd test drive the shifting problem is fixed but the chugging/hesitation at 140 degree restart is back. Funny how it starts up real nice - idles smooth - and then when the secondary air pump turns off it chugs like a train, Very ryhmic -and then smooths out after 15 seoconds or so. I am beginning to suspect excess PCM fuel mapping at that temp..

grab a garage hand while your at it and have him hook to the OBD-II as well as some other obvious tests at that temp, MAF readings and Fuel rail pressure will get you farther than you think.

is your check engine light blinking or lighting at all?
ken729
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2000 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

No check engine light on or blinking. Were you referring to freeze frame records on a scanner to idenify the problem?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: