NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - '03 Impala: Cranks but won't start...
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

'03 Impala: Cranks but won't start...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 PCM/Engine Computer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nc_nomad_1969

Posts per day: 0

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:54 am    Post subject:  '03 Impala: Cranks but won't start... Reply with quote

'03 Impala, 3400 V6 started, ran for about 3 seconds and stopped running. After that it would crank, but won't start or run. Security light flashed on, but only stayed on for a second. I have already checked for spark (good), done a security reset (still nothing), checked fuel pump relay (good), pulled positive battery cable for 30 minutes (no change). I have also used a diagnostic code unit, but it says no codes to display. I am at a loss. NEED HELP. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Wingman520
Guru
Guru
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 1.19

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:57 am    Post subject:  Re: '03 Impala: Cranks but won't start... Reply with quote

nc_nomad_1969 wrote:
'03 Impala, 3400 V6 started, ran for about 3 seconds and stopped running. After that it would crank, but won't start or run. Security light flashed on, but only stayed on for a second. I have already checked for spark (good), done a security reset (still nothing), checked fuel pump relay (good), pulled positive battery cable for 30 minutes (no change). I have also used a diagnostic code unit, but it says no codes to display. I am at a loss. NEED HELP. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

four things make a car run...

Air
Fuel
Spark
Ignition

i see you've checked spark and fuel at the pump at least... air is going in i'm guessing... is any of the injectors bad? and are all the spark plug wires sending the spark to the spark plugs and not shorting out? yes some dumb ?'s but it's the best way to find out

2001 Chevy Impala- 186K Retired: 180 T stat, HV3, Wizaired Intake, GMPP Exhaust, Speed Daddy Headers, 1.9 Yella Terra Rockers, Custom LED interior, BBEngineering.com 6 Pod Cluster, Poly Mounts and Bushings, Dyno Tuned by Dyno Brian @ Dyno Tune Motorsports 181 WHP 230 WTQ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nc_nomad_1969

Posts per day: 0

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:38 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I have spark at all plugs. I have, I fear, narrowed it down a bit. I used starter fluid and the result was that it would start and run as long as I spray it with fluid. I appreciate the advice, but I think that pretty much narrows it down to the fuel pump. Unless you have any other recommendations, I am always open to any suggestion that might save me from spending that kind of money.
labriola
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.36

2005 Chevrolet Impala
2003 Chevrolet Cavalier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:35 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

i say pull the vacume hose off your fuel pressure regulator and see if u smell gasoline, if you do, replace it. its a 30 dollar part n easy to replace and is a common problem and gives u the problem ur having when it fails

Cadet
Cadet

Posts per day: 0.02

2002 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Chevrolet Blazer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:03 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

That's exactly what my car would do, and it was my fuel pump as well. Have you checked for fuel pressure?
preston87

Posts per day: 0.01

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The fuel pressure regulator can be bad even if you don't smell gasoline in the vacuum line. That could be your culprit. If you replace the fuel pump, I'd replace the fuel pressure regulator, too. They are both common problems in these cars.

You can test the fuel pump and regulator using a fuel pressure gauge. One of the auto stores may rent them. If you haven't done so lately, change the fuel filter before you test the fuel pressure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 PCM/Engine Computer All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: