NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Throttle body screen and snap ring
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Throttle body screen and snap ring

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ken729
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.04

2000 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject:  Throttle body screen and snap ring Reply with quote

At some point I'd like to clean the throttle body plate on my 2000 LS . Can someone tell me if that screen and snap ring in front of the MAF is going to be a problem to remove and re-install? Thanks.
Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.78

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You don't really need to take it out, as 99% of the carbon build-up occurs on the intake manifold side of the throttle body...it's safest to take the whole throttle body off before pulling the screen, then take the snap ring out and push it through the TB (rather than trying to pry it out) just so you don't damage the screen.

ken729
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2000 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thanks for the info - I thought there may be a risk of screen damage prying that off.
I'll have to take a different look at it in terms of removing the whole t-body - hopefully that isn't too complicated for a driveway project.
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.32

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

ken729 wrote:
Thanks for the info - I thought there may be a risk of screen damage prying that off.
I'll have to take a different look at it in terms of removing the whole t-body - hopefully that isn't too complicated for a driveway project.

It's pretty straightforward. The snap ring is no problem.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
preston87

Posts per day: 0.01

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject:  Re: Throttle body screen and snap ring Reply with quote

ken729 wrote:
At some point I'd like to clean the throttle body plate on my 2000 LS . Can someone tell me if that screen and snap ring in front of the MAF is going to be a problem to remove and re-install? Thanks.

You don't really need to remove the screen to clean the throttle body, since most of the dirt collects on the opposite side of the butterfly valves. Just be sure to lay it with the screen down on a flat surface while cleaning, so it isn't damaged. Place a rag between the throttle body and your surface to collect the dirt then spray it down with throttle body cleaner.

Remove the MAF sensor before you clean the throttle body, since throttle body cleaner will damage it (requires a T20 security torx). You will need to purchase MAF sensor cleaner to clean it. I also suggest removing the IAC valve and cleaning it.
Fallguy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.05

2010 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:16 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Its thick (about 1/8' or so) but very tender as made out of aluminum foil. do not try to pull out our it will just rip an tear on you and will have to replace like I did.

All throttle body cleaner says not good for plastic, paint etc. I would pull your throttle body off so you are not getting any spray into the intake in quantity that could flood down beside the egr tube and start eating at a gasket.

I scrubbed with CRC throttle body cleaner and it started to melt my tooth brush a bit.

Regards.
ken729
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2000 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:48 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thanks.
snook
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.47

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1985 Chevrolet Blazer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:05 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If you need to remove the screen, take a paperclip and loop it through, it pulls right out then. But it unnecessary imo...
ken729
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2000 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:27 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I see from other posts regarding t-body removal on the 3.8 that it may be somewhat difficult to get at all the bolts. The top 2 look easy - I don't know about the 3rd. My GM instructions go as far as saying to remove the exhaust crossover. To be perfectly honest, I really didn't want to get that involved with this in my driveway. On other hand, removal of the inlet air tube and sensors is no problem .Iif the screen can come out and go back in without damage using a looped paper clip, then I was hoping to just spray it down lighlty with throttle body cleaner and wipe it off with a brush and clean rag. Thanks for the tip.
preston87

Posts per day: 0.01

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:48 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

ken729 wrote:
I see from other posts regarding t-body removal on the 3.8 that it may be somewhat difficult to get at all the bolts. The top 2 look easy - I don't know about the 3rd. My GM instructions go as far as saying to remove the exhaust crossover. To be perfectly honest, I really didn't want to get that involved with this in my driveway. On other hand, removal of the inlet air tube and sensors is no problem .Iif the screen can come out and go back in without damage using a looped paper clip, then I was hoping to just spray it down lighlty with throttle body cleaner and wipe it off with a brush and clean rag. Thanks for the tip.

The there is a bracket that gets in the way of the bottom bolt. If you are careful, you can remove the top bolt on that bracket and rotate it out of your way, using a pair of long handle pliers, vice grips, or channel locks for leverage ( as long as the bottom bracket bolt isn't too tight). Either way, when you put it back on only make the bottom bracket bolt snug, so you can move the bracket to remove/clean the throttle body again in the future.

DO NOT try and clean the throttle body without removing it. As mentioned earlier, the throttle body cleaner will damage the upper manifold and gaskets.
ken729
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2000 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:13 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I can see that the t-body is going to have to come off for cleaning - definetly don' t want to damage any gaskets. Thanks all the great direction and info on this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: