NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - 2003 Impala LS
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

2003 Impala LS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lildwil14
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.07

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject:  2003 Impala LS Reply with quote

Hello to all,

I would like to just get some input from anyone! Mom is looking at a 2003 Impy LS, has 3.8L and 40,000 miles on it, gold color (sorry no pics, only had time to test drive, had to jet back to school an hour away). I have test drove it & it runs like a champ. The previous owners passed away (elderly couple took good care of it), and the local dealer (Okawville, IL...small town) is selling it for the son of the previous owners. Confusing to me a bit, all I could gather was that the son was selling it, couldn't find a seller, but i would assume he knows the owner/operator of the dealer & so the dealer has agreed to sell it for him. Still a Bill of Sale being wrote up.

I drove it around for about 20 mins, rock solid, ISS going to get replaced by that dealer (common problem) & going to need tires in about 20,000 miles or so. Plugs look good, motor runs solid, tranny fluid good, body nice, no leaks no squeeks. Price is $8,500. Mom is scared to get because dealer is not "selling" it, only "selling" it for the previous owners son & mom doesn't want to get burned on a deal. Maybe women's intuition or something, one minute she says she's going to get it, the next minute scarred haha. I think it is a good deal & already looked up kelly blue book on it. Title is clean, records are there, just have to get the carfax ran on it before offering. If getting this vehicle, plan on keeping it until about 150,000miles, because the 3.8L are long runners being taken care of, can contest to that myself haha.

It is between this 2003 Impy, or a 2008 3.5L my mom is thinking about getting, but that same dealer wants $16,900 for it, 20,000 miles on it I think, I prefer she get the 3.9L, but they have none so would probably keep looking on that if she's too scared of this deal. Sad

What do you guys think?! Thanks for all of your input!

ZSPOT
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 1.3

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Ford Mustang
1981 Chevrolet Silverado
2007 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Dealers do that quite often acutally. Selling cars for friends or relatives. As long as there is a clean title exchange and a bill of sale, you should be fine.

Uber
Uber
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.29

2006 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Chevrolet Avalanche

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:05 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The son couldn't find a seller? Wonder if something really is wrong with it that the dealer "patched up" just to get it sold or if he didn't really try that hard?? IDK..either way, you should be able to make a pretty descent offer on it without having to "haggle" with the dealer since they have no $ put into it....my 2 pennies..

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.04

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1988 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Do cars sold that way come with any sort of warranty? Even if it's only a 90 day warranty that should be enough time to expose any problems the dealer may have "patched up".
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 2.01

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

di11avou wrote:
Do cars sold that way come with any sort of warranty? Even if it's only a 90 day warranty that should be enough time to expose any problems the dealer may have "patched up".

Yeah right. With my luck on day 91 the engine blows up.

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
lildwil14
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

it will be no warranty, sold as is because its coming from a private owner, just using the dealer to help sell it (although im sure they will want their cut...), but the vehicle from everything that i checked, is rock solid, like a good ol 3.8L should be. i have a feeling the owner of the dealer knew the people they are selling the impala for. maybe that's what mom is worried about or something. she hasnt had good luck with any dealers, which is why she's kinda hesitant...if i had the money, i'd get it myself with that many low miles. thanks again for all the feedback guys!

Jnibbs24
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.29

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:07 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

mine was a one owner from a lil old lady, had it serviced at the dealer ship where she bought it new in 03. is the 3.8 and i bought it with 119K miles.. i have 126K miles now and the only thing ive replaced so far was the cat.. sounds like a good deal too me.. ( i got a great deal on it because my gpa owned a car lot at that time and did alot of business with that dealer ship)

Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.33

1991 Jeep Cherokee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:27 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If they're doing work on it, you should really get them to change the intake manifold gaskets, upper and lower, and inspect and replace if necessary the upper intake manifold. 40,000 miles or not, GM screwed it up bigtime in engineering and took a decade to fix it properly. If you don't have this service done, sooner or later your mom is going to be low on coolant and wonder why. If you're lucky it will burn up in the engine, if not it will mix with oil, and neither is good.

The ISS is overrated.

00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.96

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:09 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If it was an older couple that had the car, I am willing to bet it was taken great care of.
lildwil14
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
If they're doing work on it, you should really get them to change the intake manifold gaskets, upper and lower, and inspect and replace if necessary the upper intake manifold. 40,000 miles or not, GM screwed it up bigtime in engineering and took a decade to fix it properly. If you don't have this service done, sooner or later your mom is going to be low on coolant and wonder why. If you're lucky it will burn up in the engine, if not it will mix with oil, and neither is good.

The ISS is overrated.

yes i will be asking them about the lim & uim change. not sure if they will do it or not. but i have a couple new 3.8L lim & uim felpro gasket sets in the garage, so if not thats not biggie, i'll change it out myself & get that dexcool krap out of there. when i took off the engine cover, i could see on the inside of the oil cap a bit of sludge, kinda green, but not much at all. wont take me long to do, done enough of em haha.

preston87

Posts per day: 0.01

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I would shop around more. $8500 is a bit steep for a car of that age especially considering these cars aren't know for holding their value. If she likes the way the impala drives, have her test drive a used Buick Century and Buick Regal. They are built on the exact same platform and therefore will drive the same. Buicks are also much easier to find with low mileage.
lildwil14
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

preston87 wrote:
I would shop around more. $8500 is a bit steep for a car of that age especially considering these cars aren't know for holding their value. If she likes the way the impala drives, have her test drive a used Buick Century and Buick Regal. They are built on the exact same platform and therefore will drive the same. Buicks are also much easier to find with low mileage.

i have worked on the couple of those, definitely not bad vehicles i do agree, but from the problems i mostly see with them are mostly electrical, dont like that at all...although gm vehicles mostly depend on a costly bcm....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: