NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

Briggs Auto Group - Discount GM Parts & Accessories 
NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Screwy temperature Reading on DIC
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Screwy temperature Reading on DIC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2006-2013 General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fsmith2845

Posts per day: 0

2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject:  Screwy temperature Reading on DIC Reply with quote

This is kinda weird and just started after I had a battery issue that resulted in replacement of the battery. I have an 06 LTZ that i bought used last year. At times when i start the car i get the message about driving with care ice possible when the temp is below freezing. Clear that message to show the DIC normal, and it shows the temp is -38F. It will stay like this for a time and eventually the temp will "climb" to where it's supposed to be. Now i live in VA and it's NEVER EVER been -38F here. LOL

Now normally i woudn't think much of this, but i found out on this forum that the AC will not operate below 32F, so now i can't use the AC. No big deal when it's 40-50F here, however i don't want this situation to continue when the temperature gets up to 80-90F..

Any thoughts on how to reset or fix this or am i going to need to plan a trip to the dealership...
Please any thoughts would be appreciated
2008BlueImpalaLTZ
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Replace the ambient temperature sensor which is in front of the a/c condensor / radiator. It is a very easy to replace - just unplug the old sensor and plug-in the new sensor. Check the connector / receptical for corrosion and put a little dielectric grease in the cavity before your install the new sensor. If the connector is corroded badly, GM sells a new connector pigtail that you can splice in.

Good luck - let us know what you do.

PS - I also own a 1999 Corvette and recently replaced the ambient air sensor on it as it was giving false readings.
fsmith2845

2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

2008BlueImpalaLTZ wrote:
Replace the ambient temperature sensor which is in front of the a/c condensor / radiator. It is a very easy to replace - just unplug the old sensor and plug-in the new sensor. Check the connector / receptical for corrosion and put a little dielectric grease in the cavity before your install the new sensor. If the connector is corroded badly, GM sells a new connector pigtail that you can splice in.

PS - I also own a 1999 Corvette and recently replaced the ambient air sensor on it as it was giving false readings.

Thanks i'll give it a shot and let you know how it turns out. I wonder what the dealer woudl charge to replace. I'll be taking it to the dealership to have the power steering recall checked out next week, might just get them to do it at the same time
07ImpalaMark
Cadet
Cadet

Posts per day: 0.03

2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Mine did the same thing after the dealer disconnected the battery for an unrelated repair. I noticed it on the way home. After a few days and a call back to the dealership to set up an appointment to repair it the thing just straightened itself up. I don't know.

Lots of junk in my garage and in my head.
2008BlueImpalaLTZ
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

fsmith2845 wrote:
2008BlueImpalaLTZ wrote:

Thanks i'll give it a shot and let you know how it turns out. I wonder what the dealer woudl charge to replace. I'll be taking it to the dealership to have the power steering recall checked out next week, might just get them to do it at the same time

I looked at sensor on my Impala - Standing in front of the car, it is to the left (passsenger side) of the hood latch, and is visible by looking through the grill. You must remove a black plastic close-out panel above it to access it. Very easy with common hand tools. You could change it in 5-10 minutes. I'll bet the dealer charges you more for labor than you would think.

fsmith2845

2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

hey

Sorry i was so long replying.. Haven't had time to sit down and type this out.

Well the temperature problem is no more. I took advice from this forum and replaced the temp sensor up in the nose. I couldn't get it from the local parts store but instead went to the dealership and it wasn't too bad. $6.00 for the sensor.. i was expecting way worse. The new one looks a little different (new part number). I plugged it in, it took a little while for the comptuer to realize it was reading good data but eventually the temperature went to normal. Fixed just in time for hot weather her in virginia.. YAY..

Thanks everyone for you feedback. Great advice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2006-2013 General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: