NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Impala cluster gauges panel problems
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Impala cluster gauges panel problems
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ps56k

Posts per day: 0

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:09 am    Post subject:  Impala cluster gauges panel problems Reply with quote

My son has a 2004 Impala LS -
and the gas gauge was the one going nuts,
but it really has become more apparent now
with the speedometer, temp & tach gauges acting up.

They will reset all over the place....
sometimes they reset with the toggle of the off/on switch,
it will work after several tries - but not always -

It seems like the stepper motor is not always working.
We tend to use the trip odo as the gas gauge,
along with the overhead console and "range".
The scary part is the speedometer - when it wacks out -

I finally checked with a couple of dealers today,
and they want $400 (installed) to replace the instrument cluster....

Here is a link & photo over on BBE -
http://www.bbengineer.com/cars.....htm#Repair

--- here is what else I found looking around the Internet ----

This is a chronic problem with several 2003-6 Chevy models like yours.Chevy issued a recall on the 2003 and 2004 models but not the 2005\and 2006 models.The problem is with the stepper motor in the instrument cluster. The problem lies with the plastic material that holds the permanent magnet for the rotor of the stepper motor. This plastic that hold the magnet also comprises the main gear for the gear assembly that rotates the needle. Well, this plastic breaks and because of the break it bends and jams the gear which then can't rotate to the proper pulses from the computer. This gear assembly is part of the stepper motor so the whole motor has to be replaced, it is soldered in the main circuit board for the instrument cluster. The problem is so common, that replacement (Switec X25.168) motors are readily available on eBay.
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.56

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:26 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You've got it all figured out on your own. The stepper motors are shot and BBEngineer is the guy to fix it for you. I just had him redo the lighting in my cluster and wouldn't hesitate to send him my cluster again.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
labriola
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.35

2005 Chevrolet Impala
2003 Chevrolet Cavalier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:29 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

if u like messing with stuff pick up the replacement steppers on ebay and solder them in urself. the sellers include instructions how to calibrate ur guage again. i fixd my cluster all guages with update motors for 7 dollars

Guru
Guru

Posts per day: 1.17

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:
You've got it all figured out on your own. The stepper motors are shot and BBEngineer is the guy to fix it for you. I just had him redo the lighting in my cluster and wouldn't hesitate to send him my cluster again.

and i wouldn't hesitate either since he did an excellent job but if u are knowledgeable at electronics and want to soldier them in urself go ahead and do it

2001 Chevy Impala- 186K Retired: 180 T stat, HV3, Wizaired Intake, GMPP Exhaust, Speed Daddy Headers, 1.9 Yella Terra Rockers, Custom LED interior, BBEngineering.com 6 Pod Cluster, Poly Mounts and Bushings, Dyno Tuned by Dyno Brian @ Dyno Tune Motorsports 181 WHP 230 WTQ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
snwbrdrugbychica8

Posts per day: 0.02

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I am currently having the same problem with my 04 LS Sport. I have the SS cluster minus the boost gauge in my car and was told that the whole cluster had to be replaced. However I was told that there are NO recalls for the clusters in these cars there are just TSB because Chevy didn't feel the need to issue a recall because they are not a "safety hazard". So I went out and bought a new cluster which was $150 and now also have to pay an additional $220 to have it installed, and shipped to Cali to have my mileage tuned in. So I was just kinda wondering where u found the recall for them because I looked all over online for them and was even told by my family mechanic and a tech at the local dealership that they are NO recalls for them at all.

bbengineer
NAIOA Owner / Webmaster
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.07

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Chevrolet Corvette
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe
2008 Subaru Impreza
1970 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

There is no recall on them...

Return the cluster and ship me your bad one and I can fix the issue for far less you are paying...

http://www.bbengineer.com/cars.....htm#Repair

BBEngineer

Decisions...Decisions...
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.92

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

snwbrdrugbychica8 wrote:
I am currently having the same problem with my 04 LS Sport. I have the SS cluster minus the boost gauge in my car and was told that the whole cluster had to be replaced. However I was told that there are NO recalls for the clusters in these cars there are just TSB because Chevy didn't feel the need to issue a recall because they are not a "safety hazard". So I went out and bought a new cluster which was $150 and now also have to pay an additional $220 to have it installed, and shipped to Cali to have my mileage tuned in. So I was just kinda wondering where u found the recall for them because I looked all over online for them and was even told by my family mechanic and a tech at the local dealership that they are NO recalls for them at all.

just so you know, you can save a ton of money. Since you already bought your new cluster sending the old one to BBE is pointless, but instead of paying 220 for mileage and install, send it to BBE, total with shipping it should cost around 90 bucks, and you can install yourself (its very easy). Install if its your first time taking the dash off and stuff, shouldn't take more than 20-30 mins. I can do mine in about 5 now... lol
snwbrdrugbychica8

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

00impala123 wrote:
snwbrdrugbychica8 wrote:

just so you know, you can save a ton of money. Since you already bought your new cluster sending the old one to BBE is pointless, but instead of paying 220 for mileage and install, send it to BBE, total with shipping it should cost around 90 bucks, and you can install yourself (its very easy). Install if its your first time taking the dash off and stuff, shouldn't take more than 20-30 mins. I can do mine in about 5 now... lol

Well here is the deal though, currently my gauges should be on their way back from Cali already programmed and I already paid for an install as well, so the 220 was pretty much just shipping and programming lol. Wish I would have known this before, as like I mentioned above everyone told me that I had to get new ones and once one cluster has been programmed to a VIN number you can't retune them at all.

bbengineer
NAIOA Owner / Webmaster
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Chevrolet Corvette
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe
2008 Subaru Impreza
1970 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You were lied to... there is no VIN storage on the cluster.. it only stores the mileage and I program them for $60

BBEngineer

Decisions...Decisions...
snwbrdrugbychica8

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

bbengineer wrote:
You were lied to... there is no VIN storage on the cluster.. it only stores the mileage and I program them for $60

BBEngineer

Ya I paid $60 to have them programmed and then the other 60 was in shipping. lol. I dunno like I said that's just what I was told.l

bbengineer
NAIOA Owner / Webmaster
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Chevrolet Corvette
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe
2008 Subaru Impreza
1970 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

That's only $120... you said you paid $220...

BBEngineer

Decisions...Decisions...
snwbrdrugbychica8

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

bbengineer wrote:

BBEngineer

The other $100 was for an install. lol They tried to install them at the dealership didn't realize that they can't tune the mileage at the dealership. They can with the 04-06 Avalanches I think, but not the Impalas they had to be sent out. So I only have to pay an install fee once lol. Sorry for the confusion.

ps56k

Posts per day: 0

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

00impala123 wrote:

..... and you can install yourself (its very easy). Install if its your first time taking the dash off and stuff, shouldn't take more than 20-30 mins. I can do mine in about 5 now... lol

Not being a car guy - just out of curiousity.... how do you start to get the dash off to get at the cluster ?
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

Posts per day: 3.56

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

http://impalahq.naioa.com/HowTo/Dash.html

The cluster comes out with 4 more screws. It's a really simple process, I swapped out my cluster and HVAC this week with LED upgraded units and I was in and out within 15 minutes. I'd guess for a first timer it wouldn't take more than half an hour to get the trim off and cluster out.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.92

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

snwbrdrugbychica8 wrote:
bbengineer wrote:

BBEngineer

The other $100 was for an install. lol They tried to install them at the dealership didn't realize that they can't tune the mileage at the dealership. They can with the 04-06 Avalanches I think, but not the Impalas they had to be sent out. So I only have to pay an install fee once lol. Sorry for the confusion.

Damn..100 bucks to take off 7 screws on the dash, pull it off and another 4 for the cluster and re install. They basically got paid 100 for 15-20 minutes worth of work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: