NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Need help. I killed one of my wipers.
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Need help. I killed one of my wipers.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2001Ls
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.24

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:21 pm    Post subject:  Need help. I killed one of my wipers. Reply with quote

Story:

Heavy snow on windshield. I turned on the wipers, driver side did its job and wiped snow clean. Passenger side went up about two inches and didn't go any further (the weight of the snow ). Now when I turn the wipers on (after clearing the windshield of heavy snow) the drivers side does a full up and down sweep but the broken one only goes to the spot where it went when the snow broke it (about 2 inches past resting position) . I need to drive tomorrow for work so do you think that it would be damaging to the wiper system if I cant fix it tomorrow if I drove with it like it is with the drivers side cleaning but passenger one only going 2 inches up and being all broken? Thanks for any help.

2001 Impala LS 81k as of Nov,2011
3.8 V6 3800 Series 2
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.96

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:39 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Try searching I know there's threads on this issue.

Try tightening the screws down when the wipers are in the parked position. I have to do this every once in a while due to same type of issue.
2001Ls
Resident
Resident

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:43 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Yeah it seems like its fixable from what I read on here
http://www.naioa.com/v2/module.....mp;t=26086
but I'm not entirely sure that what my wiper did is the same. I think tightening the screw might do the trick becasue I can push the wiper back and forth in its regular range of motion, it just doesn't work when its on. Any ways, I'm prob gonna end up taking it apart and having no idea how what i need to do to fix it. So we'll see. Thanks for the reply. Keep em coming if you know anything people. Appreciate it. Wanna try avoid going to the shop for a couple hundred dollars.

3.8 V6 3800 Series 2
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:55 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The first time this happened (when I first got my car) I brought it into my buddies shop for him to look at. First time the pin underneath the cowl cover slipped off. Since then that hasn't happened again but every once in a while I'll do the same thing (or try to use them when its below 0 and icy and it will do the same thing that sounds like is happening to you. Tightening the screw back down while they are in the parked position usually does the trick for me...takes 5 mins of your time and its free so its worth a shot first Very Happy
2001Ls
Resident
Resident

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:59 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Yeah i'll try it. I'm thinking about doing it now but its snowing still and i'm finally dry today.... I'll takes pics when I do it if it doesn't work by just tightening so that it can be further diagnosed.

3.8 V6 3800 Series 2
HeMi
Guru
Guru
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.13

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2009 Chevrolet Impala
2015 Dodge Ram
2017 Dodge Ram

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:07 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

No offence but They weren't built to move 10 lbs of snow off a windshield. People need actually need to step their lazy ass out into the Cold (Oh The Humanity) and Wipe it with a snow brush. Laughing

Senior Level
Senior Level

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:14 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

HeMi wrote:
No offence but They weren't built to move 10 lbs of snow off a windshield. People need actually need to step their lazy ass out into the Cold (Oh The Humanity) and Wipe it with a snow brush. Laughing

Yeah mine usually only happens when its really cold and one of them freezes...
2001Ls
Resident
Resident

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:17 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I was being lazy. Def my fault.

3.8 V6 3800 Series 2
NUTSgoWEEE
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.3

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:17 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Same thing happened to me... except on the drivers side. Most definitely is the screw. Just pop the little plastic cap off and I think it's a 10mm nut- could be 13mm. The way it was explained to me is that wiper arms used to be splined but if you flipped them on with a heavy snow on, they would strip and be ruined, so now they use a nut.

When the park position tab is bent or off, it affects both wiper arms.

Resident
Resident

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Update:

I popped the little plastic nut cover and tightened it while the wiper was in the parked position. It goes through its full range of motion now... its a little jerky and I'm not sure why but atleast it swings now. Thanks for the help guys, saved me some time and money. I'll wait til its no longer snowing to try and get it smooth again, I can handle a little jerk for now. Thanks again.

3.8 V6 3800 Series 2
EricJ
Resident
Resident

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2007 Ford Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

HeMi wrote:

yep. Clearing out the snow from underneath the arms and blades would be a good idea, also. I don't know how many times i have wet tracks across the window because of a stray piece of ice caught on the blade.

Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.1

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2003 Chevrolet Astro
1984 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

First winter with the car that happened and it was the splines on the alum wiper arm that had stripped. I popped off the wiper arm to inspect and sure enough the splines on the alum wiper arm were stripped and the steel ones on the car were full of alum. After pricing a new wiper arm Evil or Very Mad I got out my little pick-tool and cleaned up the steel splines on the car and used the same tool to cut grooves in the wiper arm and re-assembled with a loc-washer to get a little more pressure as it felt as though the nut was bottoming out on the bolt. Been 4 years and it has not given me any trouble since.
NUTSgoWEEE
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.3

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

blacknome wrote:
First winter with the car that happened and it was the splines on the alum wiper arm that had stripped. I popped off the wiper arm to inspect and sure enough the splines on the alum wiper arm were stripped and the steel ones on the car were full of alum. After pricing a new wiper arm Evil or Very Mad I got out my little pick-tool and cleaned up the steel splines on the car and used the same tool to cut grooves in the wiper arm and re-assembled with a loc-washer to get a little more pressure as it felt as though the nut was bottoming out on the bolt. Been 4 years and it has not given me any trouble since.

By splines do you mean threads?

Splines

Threads

Posts per day: 0.01

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Could be mistaken but I always called that little screw thing a "nut", but thats just me. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: