NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - 00-05 imp/mc
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

00-05 imp/mc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
772impala
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.04

2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:45 am    Post subject:  00-05 imp/mc Reply with quote

hi guys i have a few questions ,i have a friend lookin to pickup a 00-05 imp/mc
1 what are some things to look at when buying from a non dealership type lot
2 we checked out a few imp/mcs but idk if its jus the car or thats how they wrk but when we crunk up both cars the temp gauge didnt move i let them run for like 10mins but didnt move you think there a problem or thats how they wrk

thanks for ur help
ZSPOT
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 1.28

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Ford Mustang
1981 Chevrolet Silverado
2007 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I recommend just browsing the 'Problems with my car' section. We have had plenty of these threads over the past year. I'm sure there is one that got some attention.

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.05

2010 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Pull trans fluid stick, make sure fluid is some form of pink (lighter the better) or trans fluid may never have ever been changed in its life. These trans are great if they have been serviced well but a crapshoot if not from what I hear.

Twist off the oil fill cap and look at backside of cap. Some residue or moisture is ok so long as it is not milkshake colored (= internal coolant leak).

Pull oil dipstick and make sure no milkshake on it.

Make sure coolant reservoir has at least some coolant, full line is about 3" up from bottom (if no coolant in reservoir it may be sucking coolant in do to a leak).

With engine COLD twist radiator cap off and make sure you can see coolant should cover all fins and possibly come up even into the neck. Color should be a nice orange, reddish orange color of sorts.

If you learn how to the take the plastic pretty cover that sits on top of the engine (oil filler neck elbow twists off this is what locks it down). You could look at the date codes on the plastic upper intake manifold as these are prone to leaking. If you have one with a newer code than the car someone could have replaced already which would be a good thing. The date codes are arrows pointing to numbers inside of circles

If you look in at the alternator side you can see the lower metal intake where you can look at the v sides of the metal intake where it sandwiches the gasket to the heads and you determine if the gasket is the original plastic or if someone has replaced with an updated aluminum frame gasket which would be a good thing.

Find out how many previous owners (fewer better)

Get one with the 3800 ( 3.8L )

Check air filter (can be tight to get off). etc etc

These front ends ride low, look under and make sure nobody has bashed anything too badly

These cars are very roomy, perform well and get 30-33 on the highway. Good luck

I dont know of much difference between a dealership lot and a non dealership lot off hand they are both a carnival game.

You could try and ask for the title at the same time you make payment or tell them its a deal breaker. They cant do the hokey pokey in getting you the title this way or tell you owe more later. If the car has recently been bought by them they may however not have the title yet.
RobzSS
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.18

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I recommend going to a dealership and try and get some type of warranty. I went with my brother in law to check out an 04 indy ss yesterday. It was a whole sale type with only one guy working. Car was all banged up, paint was messed up on hood, missing Indy mats, emblems, and wheels. Guy wanted 6k down. He wanted 11k total. Totally not worth the condition.

ZZP 3" 304SS Downpipe, ZZP CC PLOG, K&N FIPK Intake, AL 104s, 180* Thermostat, Overkill PCM.
772impala
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.04

2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:00 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

thanks for the info guys
Wingman520
Guru
Guru
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 1.19

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:03 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

RobzSS wrote:
I recommend going to a dealership and try and get some type of warranty. I went with my brother in law to check out an 04 indy ss yesterday. It was a whole sale type with only one guy working. Car was all banged up, paint was messed up on hood, missing Indy mats, emblems, and wheels. Guy wanted 6k down. He wanted 11k total. Totally not worth the condition.

holy cow that's so not worth it!

2001 Chevy Impala- 186K Retired: 180 T stat, HV3, Wizaired Intake, GMPP Exhaust, Speed Daddy Headers, 1.9 Yella Terra Rockers, Custom LED interior, BBEngineering.com 6 Pod Cluster, Poly Mounts and Bushings, Dyno Tuned by Dyno Brian @ Dyno Tune Motorsports 181 WHP 230 WTQ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: