NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Will these trim rings fit?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Will these trim rings fit?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackkodiak18

Posts per day: 0.01

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject:  Will these trim rings fit? Reply with quote

I'm looking for some trim/beauty rings to dress up my steelies but I don't like the look of these

and would like to get some styled like this

My biggest question is will any 16" trim ring fit or do I have to keep an eye out for specific trim ring? I found these but wasnt sure if they would actually fit the wheels. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors.....ccessories

DUNTOV
Cadet
Cadet

Posts per day: 0.02

2008 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject:  Trim rings Reply with quote

You need a fairly thin one, I know these fit, I have a set on my 04
ebay item #380205798625
9C1ExOpp
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Just got these 16" Trim rings off Ebay. They were called 'GM STYLE'. I'm quite pleased. I also stripped off the paint of my 9C1 Center Caps using acetone. They are all chrome now... again, happy with the look.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

REDLINE
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.35

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2000 GMC Sierra
2001 Chevrolet S10
1994 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

"Eagle Flight" is another maker of rings that will work, that's what I have. They're chrome stainless.
http://www.amazon.com/Chrome-P.....B002BJXHDA
They work on 16-in Vic steel wheels too.

You can go a cheaper too, being chrome ABS plastic, with these - http://www.amazon.com/Chrome-T.....sbs_auto_1
The key is 1-3/4 thickness. I wonder how those would hold up in the winter

9C1ExOpp wrote:
Just got these 16" Trim rings off Ebay. They were called 'GM STYLE'. I'm quite pleased. I also stripped off the paint of my 9C1 Center Caps using acetone. They are all chrome now... again, happy with the look.

I wonder how the caps will hold up during the winter now w/the coating stripped off... You should report back on that by winter's end. Also, what lugs ya' running?

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

My nuts are factory nuts. The bolts holding on the hubcaps are also factory, but they seem to rust. I occasionally paint them.

I ordered a second set of those trim rings from the same ebay seller, and they arrived scratched. The rings sit on each other in the box, and they rubbed through the plastic, making metal on metal rubbing. Surface scratches, but none the less, a disappointment. The ebayer refunded my money. Nice. Reputable. I will use them on the winter rims. Since they are solid stainless (apparently) I may sand and polish out the scratches in the spring if I desire. We shall see.

REDLINE
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2000 GMC Sierra
2001 Chevrolet S10
1994 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

9C1ExOpp wrote:
My nuts are factory nuts. The bolts holding on the hubcaps are also factory, but they seem to rust. I occasionally paint them.

I ordered a second set of those trim rings from the same ebay seller, and they arrived scratched. The rings sit on each other in the box, and they rubbed through the plastic, making metal on metal rubbing. Surface scratches, but none the less, a disappointment. The ebayer refunded my money. Nice. Reputable. I will use them on the winter rims. Since they are solid stainless (apparently) I may sand and polish out the scratches in the spring if I desire. We shall see.

I thought about that after I posted... since it's a 9C1 I bet they're OEM lugs.
That being the case.. Are the OEM 9C1 lugs stainless? I wasn't able to locate the "GM Style" rings on ebay, is that the actual name or the description? You have winter and summer N99s? Laughing

I have the OEM center cap bolts, but didn't care for the looks of 'em (bulky), so I swapped mine out w/button top allen headed bolts and some washers and painted them to match the caps. They looked great... but it didn't take long at all for them to get a rusty look in the bolt head. Not long after, I also bought the same exact bolts & washers only in stainless. I just installed those yesterday getting ready for this season.

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Stainless bolts to hold on the caps, that's a good idea. Is there any danger of metallurgy conflicts? Some metals don't like to be together, and cause an electrochemical reaction, causing rust where they contact.

Here are the trim rings: If the link doesn't work, I searched "gm style trim rings".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/16-Tri.....35b42ed464

If you order them, ask the seller to please open the box, and check for damages, and to please put something between each ring (old rags, t shirt strips, or whatever) to prevent contact during shipping. The price is great: $35 + Shipping.

And, yes, I do have 99 rims (genuine VIN matched Wink. Funny, I picked up the winter rims from the dealer during a GM rim sale. $49. each or something for their "WINTER RIM SPECIAL". I said, even for the N99? They are retailed at $200 or something crazy. And yup. Matched to vin. Also, incidently, I asked what made the police pack rims 'so special'. He said the metal content was different. The steel alloy was more rigid, or something. I didn't see any welds different, just the bolt holes. Anyway. Ya, I do like the centre caps. Also, do NOTE: I did strip off the silver paint . . . and, I like it. HOWEVER, I now see why GM did paint the caps silver. When chrome, they tend to take on the reflection of the road, so they don't stand out off the rim as much as they do with painted silver. HUmmmmmm. Spose they DO think of these things...

REDLINE
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2000 GMC Sierra
2001 Chevrolet S10
1994 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:48 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

That linked worked. I was trying to search the 'GM Style' thinking that was the actual name of the maker, but nothing came up. So those that you have there are Wheel Accessories #2616, 1-1/2 inch. I see where the "GM OE Style" comes into play now. They're marketing it with the stepped edge being a GM style. Mine are all rounded, no stepped edge or lip like yours, and obviously a 1/4 inch 'deeper' in style. The rings you have are pretty cheap in price for chrome stainless though! Those are even cheaper than the CCI brand ABS chrome plastic rings. Where are they made, did it say on the box?

I'm familiar with the metallurgy. I wasn't real concerned about it though I guess. Being I just installed the stainless hardware and haven't run 'em thru the winter yet, we'll see how it goes this season. I don't have the wheels on yet either. I usually do that in Nov when 40 and lower daily high temps start hanging around. We're still at 50's now during the day. I like to keep the SS wheels on as long as I can Smile. I think I will take the bolts back out & add some anti-seize to the threads though, just to be safe. Washer to cap shouldn't be a huge deal since it's painted, but the old washers did rub some paint off under them, and I had very slight tarnishing under some of the washers. Seemed to rub off though for the most part. Like I mentioned though, I'll be curious to see how your stripped caps hold up over the winter. Do they salt like crazy up your way during the season?

So you have 2 sets of 4 N99 wheels, one set for summer and one for winter? I'm guessing you have just the 1 set of 4 caps apparently then? There was a really good deal on caps here not long ago. I was thinking about jumping on 'em even though I didn't need 'em. They sold already though. I like the stripped caps, thought about doing that back when I got my wheels, but then decided against it being they were my winter set anyways. They go absolutely nuts with the salt and de-icer here, so the wheels/car looks like crap and the car takes on some abuse during the winter season. I wanted the added protection of paint on my caps. As to why GM painted them vs the chromed look, who knows. Wouldn't think it would have to do with looks being it's just a cop car...

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:26 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I think the rings say Made in Taiwan on the box. They are fully stainless, not plated chrome (so the add said). They appear to be a good quality. The first set I got were perfect. The second set I got (for winter rims, and 'spares' in case I hit some curbs) were less than perfect. I was not as pleased with the second set. However, like any store, sometimes there is a bad batch. They are quite solid, and won't move. As you said, we will see how they hold up to road salt, sand, etc. Yes, we do love our salt up north...

REDLINE
Member Level
Member Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2000 GMC Sierra
2001 Chevrolet S10
1994 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:40 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Okay, same origin as my trim rings too. Dunno why they want so much more for my style of rings then

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: