NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - How Much Shop Charge UIM & LIM Replacement Typical ?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

How Much Shop Charge UIM & LIM Replacement Typical ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fallguy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.05

2010 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject:  How Much Shop Charge UIM & LIM Replacement Typical ? Reply with quote

Considering doing this myself (have been reading many articles) but what is typical for a shop to charge for

New uppper intake (dorman or similar), new upper intake gaskets, new lower intake gaskets, Labor & all ?

Trying to figure out how much I will save to do myself and see if it is worth it to me. If i can save 400-600 that would be pretty good days wages to me.

P.S. Are the GM aluminum frame gaskets superior on the LIM ( gm# 89017816). Are the plastic frame felpro or gm just as good on the LIM.

Not sure yet but think I am having some coolant useage will be monitoring closley.

P.S. / P.S. What is a decent price to pay for a dorman upper intake with gaskets?
Tim
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.11

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Honestly, with the right tools (a basic socket set will usually work) and a torque wrench, and some mechanical reasoning, its quite an easy task.

I know I can't speak for everyone, as there's people who just can't do it, and tha'ts fine. That's what keeps shops in business.

As for the prices on the entire job with labor, I've heard from $300 - $600.

As for DIY, our store had the dorman intake kits on sale for $99.99 three or four months ago. You can expect to pay about $120 now.

You'll need new coolant, you'll probably only need 1 gallon of concentrate (makes 2 gallons.) so add in another $10 - $15.00

And the LIM gaskets are about $30 - $50 if I recall. (That's the cheap plastic ones. I don't know the price on the updated aluminum.)

An oil change, so add in another $15 - $20.

Oh, and the small plastic elbows. Dorman makes them if you don't want to go to the dealership for about $4 - $5.00.

Ideally you would change the spark plugs, ($45 - $65)and the t-stat & gasket ($10).

Really its not all that hard, and you WILL save a lot if you do it yourself.
But if you're more comfortable paying someone else to do it, by all means pay someone else! Keep the money flowing and keep those small businesses open!

Oh &&edit;
The aluminum gaskets will prevent (well should prevent) any future coolant leaks in the LIM.
The old style (which is still sold and obviously shouldn't be) will melt again down the road at some point. It's just a bad idea to begin with having plastic gaskets where there's heat and pressure. The plastic will probably hold up for another good 100,000miles or so, but they will eventually melt again. So it's really just a concept of how long you plan on keeping the car.

Sold the Impala! Bought a 03 Vue 5 speed stick, then bought a 95 vert! Engine Swapping! (Again!) L67!
Fallguy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2010 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Feel like it its something I could tackle, have all the tools etc.

Have done most everything exteranlly on engines (alternators, belts, trans filters, oil changes, coolant, pwr steer pump, plugs, rebuilt wrecked front end 06 ranger).

Just debating how much I can save and amount of self induced brain damage I could be causing myself.

Have never pulled injectors fuel rail etc. but with all the info here "sabrewings" and elsewhere on the net and as you have referenced this does look doable.

Where do the coolant elbows fit in as I have not read much on these, are they just plastic elbows that go in with o-rings?

Do you lube up the new o-rings on the injectors to make it easier to push them back home?

Thanks, a million.

P.S, I still need to watch my fluid level, the use is very small but I am thinking it is using, have not been able to keep reservoir up to the line. Does not use fast but does go down slowly. Just topped everything off including neck of radiator and the reservoir to 1" above line. Cleaned my throttle body a week ago (did not remove just cleaned from end. Was hard to see back to the egr vent tube but did not see anything noticible at that point. Suspect LIM to be the culprit but will also change upper intake If I tackle as well.
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.96

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I was debating having my done (because I didn't want to sit outside replacing my LIM in 20 degree wetaher with no heated garage) but I was quoted 500 by my buddy's shop. You can actually save a decent amount of money by DIY.
Fallguy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2010 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

00impala123 wrote:
I was debating having my done (because I didn't want to sit outside replacing my LIM in 20 degree wetaher with no heated garage) but I was quoted 500 by my buddy's shop. You can actually save a decent amount of money by DIY.

Did price include parts & labor or was that just labor only?

Wouldn't blame you at all on the 20f thing.

Thanks
00impala123
Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.96

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Fallguy wrote:
00impala123 wrote:

Did price include parts & labor or was that just labor only?

Wouldn't blame you at all on the 20f thing.

Thanks

Yeah, I ended up managing to stop the leak for now, so I will be just doing the LIM in spring as soon as it gets warm, or when I get time to use my neighbors heated garage lol.

And the quote on 500 dollars included both parts and labor.
sh8dybizness
Master Level
Master Level

Posts per day: 1.16

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:41 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

My guy's gonna do it for me for $200. Car goes down to the shop sometime next week if I can get the parts I want. If not, the week after.

helldorado wrote:
I should be surprised at the lack of knowledge in this thread, but its NAIOA, so I'm not.

whitelightnin04MC wrote:
If you drive stupid, you die stupid.
EricJ
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.24

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2007 Ford Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:27 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I hope I can get the job I want, because I need to get this done someday.

Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.36

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:30 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Where are you from, OP?

Ontario pricing starts at 650 and runs up to 800, depending on who you talk to. I did it myself, and had some issues, but I made it through in one peice.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
04DetroitLS
Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.54

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:58 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Best thing to do is call and find out, find out price on just parts and just labor....

His dog ran away and didn't come back for a few hours on the first fire up too. It was awesome.

When babies cry and animals flee, you know you did something right Laughing

Signature truncated by system. Maximum of 6 lines allowed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bri2001
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.04

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Chevrolet Camaro
1970 Chevrolet Chevelle
2002 Chevrolet Tahoe
1965 Plymouth Fury
1989 Dodge Dakota

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I just had mine done, but I had several other things done along with it. Brought it to a shop recommended to me by a friend who is also a mechanic but only likes to work on older stuff. Anyway, I paid $640 total parts and labor for UIM, LIM, valve cover gaskets, thermostat, new plugs, wires, and oil change.

I do most work on the car myself but decided this was not worth the time or aggravation for me. They had it done in 1 day. Would have probably taken me a week! LOL I work very slowly and carefully Laughing

Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 2.01

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Bri2001 wrote:
I just had mine done, but I had several other things done along with it. Brought it to a shop recommended to me by a friend who is also a mechanic but only likes to work on older stuff. Anyway, I paid $640 total parts and labor for UIM, LIM, valve cover gaskets, thermostat, new plugs, wires, and oil change.

I do most work on the car myself but decided this was not worth the time or aggravation for me. They had it done in 1 day. Would have probably taken me a week! LOL I work very slowly and carefully Laughing

Must be a good shop. When I took my car for headgaskets and intake gasket replacement, it took those assheads a month before they gave me the car back. Evil or Very Mad

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
Fallguy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2010 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject:  Lingenfelter Reply with quote

Lingenfelter wrote:
Where are you from, OP?

Ontario pricing starts at 650 and runs up to 800, depending on who you talk to. I did it myself, and had some issues, but I made it through in one peice.

Most iterested, what issues did you have. Coolant elbows, broken bolts or something of the sort?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: