NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Gaskets O' Plenty (Pre-park brainstorming)
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Gaskets O' Plenty (Pre-park brainstorming)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thinkmike

Posts per day: 0.01

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject:  Gaskets O' Plenty (Pre-park brainstorming) Reply with quote

2002 Impala 3800 V6 (K) - 133k miles.

My car is a weekly driver... to & from the airport so any breakdowns will cause major work-related headache.

I will be beginning a happy gasket weekend. I am just brainstorming and wanted to get some additional input.

GM Sure Fix upper manifold - Yes/ordered
http://www.ineedparts.com/auto.....17806.html

Lower intake manifold (LIM) gasket set (add on/bundle with UIM) - Yes/Ordered
http://www.ineedparts.com/inde.....t_id=20000

HV3 (pass)
don't want to get into tuning yet, might add this if/when i get into more power things.

O-Rings for Fuel Injectors/Rails ( any recommendations)
This looks like a good thing to do while I am in there. Any recommendations? New injectors while I am in there?

Transmission Gasket/Pan - Done at stealer(six months new)
I have a small oil leak. I think it is transmission oil and it has leaked a little bit for pretty much the entire time I have owned the car. I probably need new transmission side gaskets but I think I have to actually pull the transmission to get to this, that is a repair for another day.
/* 12 Oct 2010 */ - In all likely hood, this was most likely an 'oil control switch leak'
Oil Pan Gasket/Pan - Done at stealer (six months new)

Headgasket (pass)
I am planning to pass on this because I believe these are very reliable and if I get this deep I think I will end up getting into a lot more work, I am not ready to shell out cash for a car programmer yet.

valve cover gasket (pass)
I think I am going to pass on this, open to recommendations or banter saying that this should be done.

Fuel filter (sidenote)
I will do this as well cause i can't remember the last time i did it and I think it is due for a change out. For $12 bucks it can't hurt.

Anything else I could be missing? well other than a computer, i am too cheap to shell $1k right now for a computer, if i do, i will start putting a lot more stuff in.

Last edited by thinkmike on Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
sumdude
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.51

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Cadillac STS
2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Heres my story:

I did UIM & LIM. what happened next???? Head Gaskets went out less than 2 months after. So my recommendations on that would be to do them as well to save **possible** extra work.

SuperCharged 9c1 | Tuned | SD Headers
Next time you get pulled over and you know you have illegal tint Follow these instructions: Tie a string around your power window fuse, and after you roll down your drivers window yank the fuse, which will render your windows inoperable. They can't test the film if the meter can't fit over it.
Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.79

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Do the fuel injector o-rings when you do the upper intake manifold gaskets. Unless your UIM is warped and leaking as a result, you won't need to replace the manifold itself. The HV3 will most likely not fit into an aftermarket upper intake manifold (see ZZP's website).

If you're looking for other stuff to do at the same time, I would do the water pump and the coolant elbows (between the belt tensioner and the block). Don't forget to completely drain and refill the cooling system and change the oil when you're done.

thinkmike

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:16 pm    Post subject:  Water Pump Reply with quote

Good call on the water pump. It broke just recently. I already had it replaced at the stealer few weeks. It has lead me to decide that it is time to do it myself. The coolant elbows were done in september.

i really didn't want to get into the headgasket, but if we have 1 person that had it happen, then we probably have more.

Miles/age when the headgasket went out?

NUTSgoWEEE
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.3

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:17 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Don't know a lot about the 3800 but don't you have to remove the valve covers to do the LIM gaskets? You might as well do the valve cover gaskets while you're there.

As for the head gaskets, you keep talking about a computer programmer?? You don't need any kind of programming or a computer to replace head gaskets. If you do pull the heads, bring them to a machine shop and get them checked for flatness.

EDIT: As for injectors, those are usually very expensive and only need to be replaced if they break. Replacing the o-rings is probably going to be a pain but I would recommend doing it. There are many methods to cleaning injectors- just google "cleaning fuel injectors" and read up

Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.18

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:45 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

NUTSgoWEEE wrote:
Don't know a lot about the 3800 but don't you have to remove the valve covers to do the LIM gaskets? You might as well do the valve cover gaskets while you're there.

nope, you don't have to remove the valve covers. It might be a good idea to do the valve cover gaskets just to avoid the doing them later.

ZZP 3" 304SS Downpipe, ZZP CC PLOG, K&N FIPK Intake, AL 104s, 180* Thermostat, Overkill PCM.
Wingman520
Guru
Guru
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 1.21

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:53 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

RobzSS wrote:
NUTSgoWEEE wrote:

nope, you don't have to remove the valve covers. It might be a good idea to do the valve cover gaskets just to avoid the doing them later.

agreed it'd be a good idea just to make sure their new but besides that you don't have to touch them at all... it's just upper manifold and lower manifold

2001 Chevy Impala- 186K Retired: 180 T stat, HV3, Wizaired Intake, GMPP Exhaust, Speed Daddy Headers, 1.9 Yella Terra Rockers, Custom LED interior, BBEngineering.com 6 Pod Cluster, Poly Mounts and Bushings, Dyno Tuned by Dyno Brian @ Dyno Tune Motorsports 181 WHP 230 WTQ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
thinkmike

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:45 am    Post subject:  New Fuel Injectors Reply with quote

After watching some interesting videos on fuel injectors on you-tube, I think I am going to just replace these with some Lucas 42.5# injectors with flow matching. I have been good about taking care of my injectors, regular injector cleaning treatment, etc.

I might get into modding my car later and it can't really hurt. Well, only my wallet. Better now than later I think. Damn murphy, he must be an automechanic.

IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.67

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:30 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You have to be into some serious modding to need an injector upgrade. Personally, I wouldn't replace them... that's money that would be better spent on upgrades that give you a tangible gain (a PCM tune, downpipe, power log, etc).

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: