NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Maintenance and Mods I plan to do in the coming year.....
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Maintenance and Mods I plan to do in the coming year.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.08

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:33 am    Post subject:  Maintenance and Mods I plan to do in the coming year..... Reply with quote

Well I've been thinking hard about what I want to do with the car since it'll be paid for. I've had the car since new; April of 2004. I normally get very complacent and bored with my cars and trade every few years, but I have kept this one because it was the first new car I have ever purchased myself and it holds sentimental memories with my late mother..(last car she ever drove/rode in)..anyways that may be weird LOL. I know I'm going to buy a about 1K dollar car to start using as my everyday work beater and reserving my impala for my weekend cruiser. I plan to do the follow this year and the car has slightly over 80K on the clock:

* 2 new CV axles(at least one is currently bad swapping both)
* 1 pass hub(still good, but swapping while I have the CV's changed. Drivers
changed about 5 months ago.)
* 2 rear hub bearings(one is starting to go, swapping both)
* Brakes all the way around
* Plugs and wires
* Struts on all four corners including an SS spring swap , probably monroe sensa-tracs(don't flame me; I get half off since my bro works for tenneco)
* Trans filter/fluid change(might upgrade to the perf pan with the drain plug)
* New catback dual exhaust including resonator(probably zzp)
* New Sport Edition F7 17" 5 spoke wheels in silver finish w/Pirelli or Cooper CS4 tires
* DIC kit from BBE
* Rear bumper repair and repaint, as well as, having my LS spoiler repainted(bought used from riverwalk; is OEM GM, but paint color is slightly lighter between the car it came from and mine)
* Sideskirts painted body color
* Possibly tinted tails, but in Arkansas they are 100% illegal and frowned upon...so I may just upgrade to the second design set from a late 04-05 salvaged impala...
* Custom leatherette seat covers via PFYC( not 100% on this b/c my cloth seats are super comfy)
* Full professional detail, just like it would get if it were being put on a GM dealers lot for sale, hopefully better.

I will be making some of the meets later in the year once I have my vacation for the year....it'll be available by June or July Very Happy I'm going to be doing all the maintenance items before I start doing any of the extras, except I am going to go ahead and purchase the wheels while they are still available.. I am open to suggestions also on mods....not really doing anything performance minded since it is a 3.4 and I don't drive it all that hard. I'll occasionally blow the soot out of it though....

Jeff
2001Ls
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.24

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:27 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Good to see you have plans. Thats the first step to getting anything done. I always want to do things to my cars but the ideas always stay in my head and never get done. I like that you're doing maintanence too, that's one of my aspirations.

2001 Impala LS 81k as of Nov,2011
3.8 V6 3800 Series 2
Wingman520
Guru
Guru
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 1.21

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:10 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

2001Ls wrote:
Good to see you have plans. Thats the first step to getting anything done. I always want to do things to my cars but the ideas always stay in my head and never get done. I like that you're doing maintanence too, that's one of my aspirations.

agreed entirely... maintenance upkeep is a major must

2001 Chevy Impala- 186K Retired: 180 T stat, HV3, Wizaired Intake, GMPP Exhaust, Speed Daddy Headers, 1.9 Yella Terra Rockers, Custom LED interior, BBEngineering.com 6 Pod Cluster, Poly Mounts and Bushings, Dyno Tuned by Dyno Brian @ Dyno Tune Motorsports 181 WHP 230 WTQ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jeff
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:34 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I agree entirely. I've decided that I will probably keep this car until it craps out and even then I might rebuild it and retire it as a keepsake LOL It might be collectible one day.....one never knows! The old Biscaynes are collectible and I'd consider them the base equivalent of a first gen Impala. I just like everything to be in tip top shape. You can mod a car and make it look sweet, but at the end of the day if it's a POS under all those mods then what was the point?

Jeff
2001Ls
Resident
Resident

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If I had the know how I would replace every nut and bolt ont my car... Being that it's 10 years old I know that their are things that need to get replaced, I just don't know exactly how or what.. So I'm trying to learn as much as I can and do the things I know how to do (replaced the battery, wiper blades, pcv valve, changed the oil, got all the fluids changed at a shop) but the rest of the maintenence is a little tough for me... I don't trust just dropping it off at a shop and being like "hey, gimme a tune up" and then 300 dollars later I dont know what the hell happened or if things were actually changed..... oh well, i'm a bit of an odd bird I guess, but I guess I'm learning as I go.... I don't want anybody to touch my car or my money, I guess I have a trust issue.

3.8 V6 3800 Series 2
Wingman520
Guru
Guru

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

2001Ls wrote:
If I had the know how I would replace every nut and bolt ont my car... Being that it's 10 years old I know that their are things that need to get replaced, I just don't know exactly how or what.. So I'm trying to learn as much as I can and do the things I know how to do (replaced the battery, wiper blades, pcv valve, changed the oil, got all the fluids changed at a shop) but the rest of the maintenence is a little tough for me... I don't trust just dropping it off at a shop and being like "hey, gimme a tune up" and then 300 dollars later I dont know what the hell happened or if things were actually changed..... oh well, i'm a bit of an odd bird I guess, but I guess I'm learning as I go.... I don't want anybody to touch my car or my money, I guess I have a trust issue.

i know how you feel but i went to auto class and some of the work i've done saves alot in the long run since i at least know how to do it and if i don't i can def have someone on here give me a hand or at least point me in the right direction Smile

2001 Chevy Impala- 186K Retired: 180 T stat, HV3, Wizaired Intake, GMPP Exhaust, Speed Daddy Headers, 1.9 Yella Terra Rockers, Custom LED interior, BBEngineering.com 6 Pod Cluster, Poly Mounts and Bushings, Dyno Tuned by Dyno Brian @ Dyno Tune Motorsports 181 WHP 230 WTQ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
2001Ls
Resident
Resident

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

True.... I guess I should go to a class.... one of the community colleges around here had a 1 semester "basics car" class or somehting along those lines. I should take it at some point maybe... I don't think I wanna be a mechanic by trade, I mean I would like to but I don't think i have the moxie.... I think auto is gonna be a hobby over my life more than an occupation.... I'd love to have a project car someday, it'd be nice to know how to do it

3.8 V6 3800 Series 2
Wingman520
Guru
Guru

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:40 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

i know how you feel... i'd take the class... i did even though i knew some things about cars already... believe me those basic car classes help ALOT if your just a rookie (no offense by it in anyway)

Jeff
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:31 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I'm not sure what kind of work you do right now, but you could get a PT night job working for like Sears Auto, etc and do oil changes and tires on cars....while you're doing that you can also pick up on strut swaps, cv joint swaps, brakes, etc..... I worked part time at sears as a mechanic and I showed an interest in wanting to learn more than just the basics and so I got to help out the other guys who were certified on replacing the hard parts. Might not be for you, but it helped me out a lot. I knew about cars, but it was good to be able to shadow and help out with brake jobs, cv axle swaps, hub bearing swaps, alignments, struts, etc.....and you get paid an hourly wage plus commission(at sears). You wouldn't get rich doing it, but they pay you to learn the same thing as you would pay out of pocket to learn in an auto class....

Jeff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: