NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - HIR Viper Bulbs Fit With Slight Mod
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

HIR Viper Bulbs Fit With Slight Mod

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fallguy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.05

2010 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:47 am    Post subject:  HIR Viper Bulbs Fit With Slight Mod Reply with quote

If you dont want to shell out coin for HID lighting look into HIR bulbs. They use technology that produces a truly brighter light. They do not just change color of the beam to think they are better, they produce more light.

The great thing about these is that they produce more light but pull the same amperage. Typically to get a bulb brighter you get more amps to run through the filiment and it glows brighter.

These focus some of the energy back into the filiment to get it to glow brighter. Swollen part of bulb as a bit of a band of some sort of material the does this.

These work great and will not ruin your wiring, way better than Silverstars. I would suggest using only toshiba as these where not made in many vehicles. Other bulbs may exist that are similar in shape but they do not reflect any engergy back into filiment and may not be HIR if not toshiba.

Anyone else tried these, I just run on my high beams. Have ran for approx 2 years now an no problem.

Just thought I would share. These are pricey but they work beyond compare and the light output is close to HID.

Regard

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors.....ccessories

Last edited by Fallguy on Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:06 pm; edited 4 times in total
crazydayz
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

Posts per day: 1.83

2000 Chevrolet Impala
2000 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2004 Chevrolet Impala
1997 Chevrolet S10
2006 Chevrolet TrailBlazer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:37 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Any pictures of a comparison.......

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3352096
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2588642
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.67

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:48 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I'm curious to see what bbengineer has to say about this. My initial thought is that its not a great idea. Not to knock you for trying it, but how often do you use your high beams? It might be OK for short term use, but ruin something long term.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
Chrispala
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.15

2002 Chevrolet Impala
1995 Honda Civic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:54 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:
I'm curious to see what bbengineer has to say about this. My initial thought is that its not a great idea. Not to knock you for trying it, but how often do you use your high beams? It might be OK for short term use, but ruin something long term.

Not to mention that other drivers will detest the fact you were ever given a license.

On my LS I never run brights, always regular + fogs.

Master Level
Master Level

Posts per day: 0.64

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Mercedes-Benz E Class
2006 Nissan Murano
2003 BMW 5 Series

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:07 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

$15 shipping lol!!

Ummm, yeah, dont ever drive around with your high beams on if there's any traffic around!

2002 Galaxy Silver Sedan - LS cluster - Debadged - Intrigue compass/autodim mirror - DIC - Regal graphite leather seats - LS console with floor shift conversion - Monte Carlo black leather steering wheel - LS springs - KYB GR-2 Struts - GMPP sway bars and rear STB - Fog light frontend harness - LS Bumper with fog lights - Painted trim and side skirts

2006 Nissan Murano - Autodim/compass mirror
2006 Mercedez-Benz E350 - Stock for stock, its faster than an SS, woot!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
NUTSgoWEEE
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.3

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:39 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Did some reading on them... they seem legit. Just GE patented the process and only licensed Toshiba to make automotive products using it. They've been around for years so I just don't understand why they aren't more popular... that's the thing that makes me question them (i just can't find anything negative about them). I'd be okay running them on high-beams, but more light with low-beams might cause uncomfortable glare for other drivers. If anyone's curious, I found a picture of the modification required for 9011's to 9005's:

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2010 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I live in a rural area and get to use my high beams a lot. These bulbs do not run more amperage and as a result will not harm your wiring. If you used the low beam bulb yes people could likely get pissed a lot.

This was an unusual bulb with a very special bulb that I beleive is superior just did not get adopted widley by oem but the ones that did run these were high end vehicles.

I have enjoyed doing much research when I get interested in an item and I have not found or experienced anything negative with the high beams and I can tell you they do work well and are safe.

I do not sell these, just posted the link as the ebay place seams to be the only place you can get the legit toshiba bulb and not a knockoff that just imitates the design shape only.

Regards.
bbengineer
NAIOA Owner / Webmaster
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.13

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Chevrolet Corvette
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe
2008 Subaru Impreza
1970 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject:  Re: HIR Viper Bulbs Fit With Slight Mod Reply with quote

Fallguy wrote:
If you dont want to shell out coin for HID lighting look into HIR bulbs.

At $20 per bulb and $15 shipping, it's actually cheaper to get a DDM HID kit...

BBEngineer

Decisions...Decisions...
Fallguy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2010 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:44 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I have a different vehicle in which the low beams are terrible and all of this make are prone to this (saturn SC2 low beams).

If you have daytime auto running lights does HID create any problem with these ?

Do HID low beams produce so many lumens as to aggravate oncoming drivers as their lumens are way higher than stock ? (my wife complains most every time she sees an HID light coming, not sure if it the intensity of lumens or just the color to her)

As i read it correctly HID need about a 6amp surge to get started is this times two ballasts for a resultant 12 amps ?

I would be interested in possibly playing with HID on my saturn.

I can tell you HIR is way simple to install and takes no surge jump or wiring harnesses to compensate for. HIR is way better than stock and silverstars but not as strong as HID to be sure.

I want to understand more about HID to be sure but if anyone wants to make an easy intermediate step I can tell you HIR slays silverstars and oem.

http://finemotoring.com/Bulbs%.....38x330.png
Regards,
NUTSgoWEEE
Member Level
Member Level

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:23 am    Post subject:  Re: HIR Viper Bulbs Fit With Slight Mod Reply with quote

bbengineer wrote:
Fallguy wrote:
If you dont want to shell out coin for HID lighting look into HIR bulbs.

At $20 per bulb and $15 shipping, it's actually cheaper to get a DDM HID kit...

BBEngineer

How so?
DDM has HID kits for $49.95 for 35W or $59.95 for 55W plus $15 for a relay harness and they quoted me $15 for cheapest shipping.

Plus, www.hirheadlights.com (which appears to be the same guy as the ebay link) is advertising $28.95 per bulb plus $8 shipping for up to 8 bulbs.

DDM 55W hid kit:
~$90
Apexcone Raptor 55W hid kit (from DDM):
~$70
HIR bulbs:
~$66
Silverstars:
~$25 from amazon.com

Plus, putting HIDs in for high-beams isn't the greatest idea because you're going to shorten the life of the bulbs every time you flip them on and off. (at least in my case as I only use my high-beams for a minute or two at a time until another car comes along).
HIDs are also not legal in low-beam housings that aren't designed for HID bulbs (I'm not sure about high beams as you're only permitted to use them when other cars are not present anyway) but these HIR bulbs "claim" they're DOT approved but who knows...

I'm not personally favoring either option, I'm just throwing the information out. If I ever did upgrade my lighting I'd most likely get 55W HID low beams and HIR high beams.

I still am curious why they don't sell these bulbs in automotive stores if they really do work... Actually I can barely find them for sale online other than ebay and a few homegrown websites Confused

EDIT: Here's something I did not know-
Quote:
What does the label DOT on a headlamp signify?:
It simply means that headlamp is manufactured according to regulations set by United States Department Of Transportation (DOT). Manufacturers are trusted to make headlamps that conform, they do not send in samples for testing. However, if they are found to not conform at a later time, in example in combination with a major accident, big lawsuits will take place against the manufacturer.

EDIT2: Apparently John Deere has been selling these bulbs for years. There was a period when they were selling them for $9.99 each as they are used on combines but the price is now $31.35 on JDParts (part #AH211917) because they caught on that people were buying them for their cars and not combines.

NAIOA Owner / Webmaster
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Chevrolet Corvette
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe
2008 Subaru Impreza
1970 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:02 am    Post subject:  Re: HIR Viper Bulbs Fit With Slight Mod Reply with quote

NUTSgoWEEE wrote:

How so?
DDM has HID kits for $49.95 for 35W or $59.95 for 55W plus $15 for a relay harness and they quoted me $15 for cheapest shipping.

HIDRAPTOR
$29.95

http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.....;parent=85

And putting either in the High Beams is a waste of time IMO...

HIDs in the lows will give you enough light to make the highs useless

BBEngineer

Decisions...Decisions...
NUTSgoWEEE
Member Level
Member Level

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:16 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I'm not sure i'd trust putting a $30 HID kit in my car...

Even if the low-beams are brighter, they're still aimed lower and closer. For me, driving in the mountains up and down hills requires high beams to see further down the road and they're spread wider. If the low-beams are rendering the highs useless, then you're blinding everyone on the road.

NAIOA Owner / Webmaster
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Chevrolet Corvette
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe
2008 Subaru Impreza
1970 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:21 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

NUTSgoWEEE wrote:
I'm not sure i'd trust putting a $30 HID kit in my car...

That's your prerogative, but the fact of the matter is you can do a HID kit for less than these bulbs... and with better results

Quote:

Even if the low-beams are brighter, they're still aimed lower and closer. For me, driving in the mountains up and down hills requires high beams to see further down the road and they're spread wider. If the low-beams are rendering the highs useless, then you're blinding everyone on the road.

I had HIDs in the Impala, aimed correctly (never blinded anyone) and it rendered the highs useless... you simply won't ever use them

Install HIDs and then come back and revise your statement once you see the results

BBEngineer

Decisions...Decisions...
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 2.01

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I would prefer HIDs myself. I have been considering the DDMs for a while now.

Side note: I wasn't aware they were "illegal" in low beam housings. Confused

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.67

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

PushrodPower wrote:

Side note: I wasn't aware they were "illegal" in low beam housings. Confused

It's pretty much illegal to change anything with your vehicles lighting. As far as HIDS go, as long as you stay at 4300k or 6000k and aim them lower than stock to prevent glare, no one really cares. It's the ass holes that don't aim them properly or use 10000k+ lights that are purple and don't light up anything...

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: