NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - car issues need advice
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

car issues need advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TSAEB
Cadet
Cadet

Posts per day: 0.01

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:25 am    Post subject:  car issues need advice Reply with quote

ok im searching for related issues and im pretty stress out since i need my daily driver as soon as possible

the problem is the car turns on but quickly turns off...if the car stay on the rpms go crazy like it wants to die but is trying to stay on.

ive checked the fuel pressure and at idle its about 40 psi or so...and it wont drop no matter what the car starts to do(bucks and revs istatically)....and when i put the key on the acc position i can hear the fuel pump prime fine....the tranny is about 1 year old(rebuilt)....2002 impala ls 3.8 auto...... 170,xxxx miles...and i scanned it and no codes.

i take good care of it but in the past month i had these issue come up that i was tryng to put off till i had time wondering if they are the issues.....one is that my driver side rear blinker doesnt show....on my dash the blinker blinks fast as if i have a bad bold but i dont...one time i simply remove the bulb and put it back and it fixed the issue...... Shocked ....but now it doest even light up....plus i starting loosing alot of coolant....i have to add coolant every 2 weeks and its not a lil amount.....i found the coolant leak to be mostly on the front of the intake manifold by the maf....and a lil all around......so i guess ill take it one at a time and find a manifold and replace the intake and try to chase the wire to the left back driver bliker.....could thes be my issues...any body with advice please help thanks.
ad0726
Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.37

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Chevrolet Malibu
1983 Datsun Patrol
2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:36 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

have you changed the spark plugs or wires lately?
TSAEB
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:00 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

im guessing about 20,000 miles for both....and before this the car ran very smooth.... im going to check the maff maybe the coolant leak is getting it dirty....however till i wait for the stores to open anybody have and idea whats up with the blinker.
scottb1982
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.11

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:51 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

get the coolant leak fixed immediately obviously... but a quick way to see if your MAF is bad, is simply unplug it! If it runs smooth, then that is your culprit. You will throw a check engine light, but it will run then! If it still runs rough and cuts out after disconnecting it, then look elsewhere for the problem. Hopefully you don't have a massive LIM gasket or UIM leak, killing your engine with too much coolant or extra air getting inside!
TSAEB
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

actually i did have a bad coolant leak that allowed coolant inside the manifold and maf....so hopefully this is the issue and this is where im at so far since i also found another problem.

OK i read to many post about the upper intake deforming(how ever u want to call it) so i went ahead and bought a new upper intake manifold..and it came with gasket....i did not remove the lower.....im only swapping the upper...and i did find out that coolant was leaking inside the intake and maf...so im gonna clean everything and add new gaskets....however i think i found another problem

i thought the lower intake suppose to be very nice and clean with no oil ....maybe a lil carb build up but nothing else...mine has oil collected on the edge where you can see the two bolts inside the lower manifold....is this a problem...could i bee leaking oil pass these two bolts?.....im done cleaning everything im just gonna read about this oil problem a lil...and yes i was loosing a lil oil ...nothing to bad just notice it when i would check the oil before i changed it.
wanderson75
Guru
Guru

Posts per day: 1.35

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

LIM issues are common on our cars for both the 3800 and the 3400 alike. I'd replace it since you're almost there anyway.

xnick
Master Level
Master Level

Posts per day: 1.14

2000 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The oil means that your LIM is more than likely leaking... replace the gasket and be done with it!

tstephens11 wrote:
karma's a f***ing bitch.
TSAEB
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

so its not suppose to have oil residue?
xnick
Master Level
Master Level

Posts per day: 1.14

2000 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

oil pooling in there is a sure-sign of LIM gasket failure - so no.

There is a good chance that your coolant is also leaking into your oil because of the LIM gasket, which could explain some of your missing coolant.

You can see pictures of what it shouldn't look like here: http://www.naioa.com/v2/module.....amp;pid=16

tstephens11 wrote:
karma's a f***ing bitch.
scottb1982
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.11

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:23 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I have read conflicting stories about the "oil pools" in the LIM. I noticed I had the same pools when I had to replace my gaskets as well. Since you already have the upper intake manifold (UIM) off, you are going to want to pull off the Lower manifold as well and replace those gaskets... and the coolant elbows. You don't want to put the car all back together and find that those are having problems too. Make sure you take your time and do it right, so you only have to do it once! Good luck, and keep us informed on how you're doing!
TSAEB
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:56 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

true... so i went ahead and replace alot of items.....lines, lower gaskets....injector rings and etc.... this is where im at.

OK im about 60% done putting everything back...everything is going smooth intill i broke a vacuum hose...and not sure where it goes but i dont see it hard to replace......

on the side of the intake manifold(firewall side) in the middle connects the brake booster line....and there is a small plastic line that connects with it and runs behind the upper strut and fire wall.....it goes along to the passenger side strout mount ...then along the fender....and then runs next to the battery....this is where i loose it....im tired and will start looking tomorrow...i hope i finish this by tomorrow....any feedback is great

and the whole line is broken....it pretty much seems to desolve everytime i touched it.
Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.79

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

That's the HVAC vacuum line...if you can live without your heat, your car will still run as long as you plug it off where it connects to the engine (which I believe is right by the throttle body). Smile

TSAEB
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

http://www.naioa.com/v2/module.....acuum+line

(its the little unpluged line im messing with)

OK... this is where im at

i went to turn te key and same thing...shuts off right away....however if i press the gas a lil it will stay on.....it still idels irratically but stays from 800 to 1600....before it would be from 800 to 2200.....but if i press the gas once it turned on it will then drop rpm and die.

so an improvement i guess....coolant leavel is fine....and i had to changed the motor oil twice and no more milky residue....

now....if i disconnect the maf....the car starts up fine....idles a lil off but you can not tell by looking at the gauge you just feel it (everybody knows there car )....and it seems just fine....and of course i got a maf check engine light.....

so im pretty sure the maf is shot (did have coolant in tb when car had first messed up)...now im trying to shop around for a good price maf since the lowest price is about 140 from the zone.....and ofcourse i still can not find where that plastic line connects to...everybody has help very much in telling me what it is but i just cant trace the other end......im going to sleep and will try again tomorrow...... and input im all ears...thanks
TSAEB
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:11 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

ok finally...

car is running great and i actually feel it better then before...cant feel it idleing i got that "is the car on???" feeling i use to have with it....so summary for

1.car would start and quickly die
2.if i press the gas it would stay on but idle very irratically from 800 over 2k
3. coolant leak
4. oil leak

the main problem was a bad mass air flow sensor.....which was damaged by the coolant leak which some how came back into the tb......plus coolant leak was also causing a bad vacuum leak.

fix...

1.new intake manifold
2. new gaskets from lower intake up
3. new mass air flow
4. coolant flush, oil flush(twice), several o-rings, replaced old vacuum hoses.

thanks guys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: