NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Failing Pump, Worn Rack, or Air?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Failing Pump, Worn Rack, or Air?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GG2
Cadet
Cadet

Posts per day: 0.02

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: Question Failing Pump, Worn Rack, or Air? Reply with quote

Hey guys... My 2OOO LS just hit 249,000 miles, and is having a hard steering issue. On slow turns I literally have to use both hands with considerable force to turn the wheel. It does not have issues when turning while car is rolling at speeds above 20mph... There is a loud audible whining that I assume is coming from the power steering pump. I checked the fluid and was shocked to find it a muddy tan color! I drained all of what was in the pump using a turkey baster, and filled it back up with fresh fluid. Then I took 2 pieces of tin foil and placed one in front of each front tire. I poured some oil on them, pulled the car onto them, and attempted to purge any air in the lines by turning the wheels left to right a bout 15 times...I went for a test drive and the steering was perfect, even from a dead stop all night. Then today it acted up again, and the hard steering was back along with the whine... I checked the fluid again and now it's orange... What do you think is going on? I can NOT afford to have anything hinder my run for 300,000 miles, as the engine is still running like new, no leaks, and has full power! Thanks in advance for your input, and have a MERRY CHRISTMAS......
Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.78

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:11 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If you want to get all the old fluid out of the system, you will have to disconnect the return line from the PS pump and drain it into a bucket while you keep the pump full of fresh fluid...I would try that first, then I would try replacing the pump if you have no luck there.

There is a tool that Kent Moore makes (its more like a rubber stopper with a fitting and a vacuum hose running out of it) that you hook up to a vacuum pump and put it on the top of the PS resevoir instead of the cap to purge the air out of the system - I'm not sure how necessary it really is to the process of bleeding the air out, but GM says to do it that way.

Bill58
Resident
Resident
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 0.2

2006 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:23 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Had a 3.1 Beretta, did the same thing. Problem was worse in cold weather.
Replaced the P/S pump fixed problem. 3.8 pump sucks to get at, 3.4 on top like Beretta - easy. Best way to bleed air is to have the wheels off the ground and go almost lock to lock, donít hit the steering limit, with motor running. Do that a couple times and recheck the fluid.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: