NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Just hit 90k miles...
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Just hit 90k miles...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joshww34
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.06

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject:  Just hit 90k miles... Reply with quote

Well my impala just hit 90k miles today. It has treated me pretty good, haven't had to do that many repairs. This is my first car and I need it to last me at least the next 4 years so I take really good care of it. I bought it with 63k in February 09. Almost all the miles were on the highway driving from RI to Northern Vermont.

This is what I've done to the car since I bought it:

New Alternator and Battery
New Radiator
New Catalytic Converter
New Axle

Maintenance:
4 new tires
All new Rotors and Brakes
Mobil 1 Synthetic every 3000 miles

Is there anything I should specifically be looking for as the car gets older?

I am very pleased with the car so far and want to keep it running good for as long as possible!
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.55

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Keep an eye on your oil and coolant levels (especially for milky coolant), unless you know for a fact that LIM gasket has been replaced.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
Wingman520
Guru
Guru
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 1.17

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:
Keep an eye on your oil and coolant levels (especially for milky coolant), unless you know for a fact that LIM gasket has been replaced.

agreed... i'd just make sure there is no obvious leaks besides the regular maintence. put a piece of dry cardboard under it overnight and see if you got leaks... better safe than sorry

**edit** mine rolled over 140K a couple months ago and still kickin strong

2001 Chevy Impala- 186K Retired: 180 T stat, HV3, Wizaired Intake, GMPP Exhaust, Speed Daddy Headers, 1.9 Yella Terra Rockers, Custom LED interior, BBEngineering.com 6 Pod Cluster, Poly Mounts and Bushings, Dyno Tuned by Dyno Brian @ Dyno Tune Motorsports 181 WHP 230 WTQ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
thinkmike

Posts per day: 0.01

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:15 am    Post subject:  2002 Impala LS w/123k Reply with quote

Welcome to the 100k club. Some things with my car.

I am very rough on my car so I try to have things replaced before they brake.

I had the dealer do a lot of work on it before the 100k extended warranty came up.

Repairs on my car: (that i can remember/admit too)
1. replaced the trunk lift things.
2. Water Pump & Thermostat, that just went out. (122k with the florida freeze)
3. Replaced the battery 3 times. 1st one exploded, 2nd one dead cell, 3rd one I think I should have just cleaned the damn terminals and replace the side posts. I wanted a diehard and get away from the factory battery.
4. Did the belt early
5. I sprained a Hub, replaced under extended warranty
6. Speed sensor issue, replaced under extended warranty
4. oil pan gasket & transmission gasket. (i told the dealer to change the pans as well because I didn't want to pay for the labor 2x. I still have a small transmission pan leak, oh well, no biggie. Mobile 1 synethic ATF.
5. i finally have a grease leak on my passenger side half-shaft. I will have to change that out. Dealer didn't tell me about it, just market it "declined" on my ticket, i was pissed. It is a small leak, i missed it the first time i looked at the boots
6. i decided to test how my tires liked getting smashed into concrete curbs. The concrete one. New rim, replaced front struts trying to get everything write. I did this at tires plus, i wasn't ready to get my hands dirty.
7. the light bulb in my trunk burnt out, i replaced it with something that the dealer said, don't think it is the right thing.
8. the license plate bulbs burnt out, had to replace thoughs. i got pulled over on christmas eve 2 years ago because of the bulbs. (might want to check these).
9. one of my back right lights has burnt out. Not the main lights, the far far right. they call it the marker bulb assembly.
10. took my car to a carwash once, they messed up my steering wheel volume controls and tuning. That got fixed under extended warranty
11. weird turning light bulb problem. new light bulb fixed it.
12. loss of interior lights/dashboard lights. required a new dimmer switch thingy, covered under extended warranty
13. i can't remember if i had a problem with the window controls or not. Maybe it was the power window controls. That got replaced (maybe) under extended warranty.

[late edit] (catalytic converter replacment 17k-24k miles)somewhere in there.
I also had a problem under the original factory warranty. I ran my car through a puddle in a heavy rainstorm in florida and i think i submerged the muffler and i got stuck in the water. I had to grid the starter to get the car moving and out of the water.

The car seemed a little odd after that. So i tried to drive the car hard to try and dry it out or work it out. Seemed to do okay for a while. Then on a long trip i was doing my standard fast driving trying to "fix" whatever was wrong with the car at the time. And forced the check engine light on. I did some digging with the car dealer and there was a service article related to a clogged catalytic converter.

every few years I have them drain out all the fluid and replace it with new fluid. synthetic where possible.
power steering fluid
brake fluid

if you ever have to have your winshield replaced. Watch the repair people like a hawk. They replaced my windsheild and i had a permanent water leak in the car. It was so bad i almost drilled a whole in the floorboard so the water could drain out. I ended up replacing the plastic screens myself and did some additonal sealing. It wasn't pretty but it works.

stuck passenger side power seat. Lots and Lots of wd40 and a hammer. speaking of which i should probably give them a good lube this weekend.

new spark plugs, new plug wires. a computer pcm upgrade/program change from GM, before the extended warranty went under.

tires, tires and more tires. brakes brakes and more brakes. I think I have akibono on there, I am not honestly sure anymore.

Future work for my car:
upgrade my sway bars

Need to redo the transaxle seals

Need to replace the CV Joints and reboot. (I want to upgrade so this is temporarily low cost method until i have the moolah for the upgrade, then i will do new axles)
want to upgrade to HD components. (transmission rebuild + hd components)
bushings are showing some wear.

ebay had the official gm service manual for my car for about $60 bucks with shipping. Better than $150 elsewhere.

ordered the scantool.net because i am pissed off at the dealer, i want to be able to see my own codes. {looking at the scantool has opened pandora's box}. Now I want to get into tuning and performance stuff.

My car is probably worth about $3k. The cost of an impala ss is about $30k.
for $10k I can upgrade my brakes, tires, put in a great little turbo. And I won't even be a cop magnet because it isn't a new car.

Smile Still handles great. And NO CAR PAYMENTS. Smile It has been a great little car.

Biggest headache is the transmission. I am abusive so I feel partially responsible. With the way I drive. 123k without any transmission problems is really great. I plan on doing the overhaul/upgrade sometime this summer.

my backup vehicle is a 1994 dodge dakota that i bought used in 2005. that way i can go to the store or get to work if my impala needs a sick day.

p.s. i will try to get pictures of the boot leaks for the group.

HeMi
Guru
Guru
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.1

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2009 Chevrolet Impala
2015 Dodge Ram
2017 Dodge Ram

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:48 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

we seem to have an awesome 100,000 Mile Maintnence plan. We hit 100,000 miles, we trade it in. Laughing

Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.65

2000 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

HeMi wrote:
we seem to have an awesome 100,000 Mile Maintnence plan. We hit 100,000 miles, we trade it in. Laughing

Speak for yourself. Just rolled 215 yesterday.

My list:
Radiator
2 BCMs
PCM (my fault)
CV shafts (my fault)
Struts, springs, sways (upgraded)
Rotors, pads, and lines
3 new calipers
Multifunction Switch
little more to be added later

Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.42

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Id reccomend changing out your fuel filter, its an easy/cheap to do, wouldnt want to stress your fuel pump. The fuel pump isnt cheap to replace.

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.06

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info, I will definitely look into doing some of this stuff. My transmission is starting to lag and kick a little bit, I'm dreading the day when I have to get that fixed...
Fallguy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.05

2010 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Spray grease down the intermediate steering shaft if you are hearing or feeling any clunking.

Trans fluid and filter change via pan drop (No flush, or leave out cleaners if flush)

Note after pan drop and filter change you can then do early fluid changes yourself via the trans dipstick hole. Some vehicles you cant do that as a suction tube wont go all the way down to bottom of pan. On this trans (4T65E) it does. I like changing every 20k via the dipstick (cheap if can do your self).

Go with Valvoline Dexron III in my opinion (its what your vehicle came with, dexron 6 may exceed dexron III specs but it is a thinner designed fluid).

Make sure coolant is or has been changed (Stick with Dexcool, you can go different but GM had gasket issues not dexcool issues (some blamed dexcool but this is not the case from my studies).

Good luck

Note trans fluid pan drop = 7.4qts fluid typically and per manual (trans fluid levels are very very very important, shop that does not put enough in or too much by 3/4 qt one way or the other can make your trans weird out and shift poorly. Tricky to check trans fluid levels if something you have not done much (vehicle must be warmed and checked while motor running, shift through gears, wipe stick several times etc.)

P.S. "You da man" on changing your synthetic oil every 3k. Many do not realize that yes synthetic lasts a very long time but combustion by products still get introduced into any oil. You could stretch out a bit longer but still a good idea to keep oil changes early even with synthetic. I run about 3k on vehicles with conventional and 4k on the ones I do synthetic

Harbor freight extractor similar to what I use #46149 requires air pressure but I do believe some electric fluid extractors work (dont use the JC whitney 12v though it is crap)

Last edited by Fallguy on Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sabrewings
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

Posts per day: 3.9

2004 Chevrolet Impala
2009 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

2000lsxwannabe wrote:
PCM (my fault)

I wouldn't say entirely your fault. Embarassed

Still Imp'n, just with a different Imp.
thinkmike

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:05 am    Post subject:  Almost forgot... Reply with quote

Yeah, i have changed the fuel filter a few times.
PCV here and there.

***Important***
There are these two little tiny plastic elbows that are part of the cooling system. I forgot about them, thankfully I noticed something similar while raiding a NAPA today.

on www.alldatadiy.com (17/year or like $30ish/5 years) I think it lists it as
heater pipe adapter -inlet
heater pipe adapter -outlet

it is hard to see from the illustrations. I will try to look it up again (2 weeks from now) when my service manuals come in.
When I had the dealer change them i made them give me the old parts. They did look pretty rough. I also have to admit, If I had to point them out on the vehicle, I don't think I could.

If you do this one yourself. The notes say "Lubricate the O-ring seal with Dex-Cool antifreeze. " Smile probably not a bad idea. I am not even sure this is the right part. (okay found something)

someone had asked a similar question related to it. It looks like you have to remove the alternator to get to it. (spring cleaning anyone?)
http://www.justanswer.com/ques.....impala-how

pdf with a diagram and some instructions:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/uplo.....er_3.8.pdf

NOIA article - same thing:
http://www.naioa.com/v2/module.....mp;t=17376

I found this for the folks on the way to the 200k club.
http://www.naioa.com/v2/module.....eal+puller

not sure what any of these valves/gaskets are yet. But I will soon learn!

looks like i will need to do this on mine as well:
LIM (lower intake manifold)
http://www.naioa.com/v2/module.....amp;pid=16

since you are at 90k miles you have some time. It could be a car age thing too and not just a mileage thing.

2000lsxwannabe
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.65

2000 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:53 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Sabrewings wrote:
2000lsxwannabe wrote:
PCM (my fault)

I wouldn't say entirely your fault. Embarassed

Ok, OUR fault. I still haven't ordered my Overkill and I'm having passlock issues again.

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:08 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Just rolled 260K miles on my 2001 Impala. It's been my daily driver/commuter car for 6 years now. No MAJOR problems... ISS greased, coolant temp sensor issues, and finnicky power window buttons are all I've had to deal with. I consider myself lucky after reading many of the posts on here.

HOWEVER... as of late, I believe I have been having the passlock issues. Car has full power with relays engaging when they key is turned to accessory, but when turned to start, nothing happens. I had a new key cut to the VIN number. You should have seen the expression on the guys face when I told him the mileage Very Happy. Anyways, the new key isn't the fix for my car. Do I really want to pay the $$$$ for the passlock repair at a dealership (no), or is there an alternate way to bypass this whole system entirely an get this car back on the road for another year? I don't care about security lights, etc. Also, I have some years of experience in 12 volt wiring, just not sure about bypassing passlock.

Any help/expertise is appreciated. I'd sure like to see her hit the 300K mark before she retires...
chibiblacksheep
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.47

2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2007 Chevrolet Impala
1968 Chevrolet Camaro
2013 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I would add in the fact that you need to keep that dex-cool on rotation. I swap mine every year.

And I would argue for the Dex VI as the ATF...

(I'm running over 166K right now on my L36)

Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.09

2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

One thing that might be overlooked would be to have a good, professional interior cleaning. I bet there is alot of little gunk that builds up over time in the seats and carpets and I don't know if just vacuuming would truly be able to clean it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: