NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Remote Start questions
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Remote Start questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inferno03LS
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.43

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Cadillac Escalade

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject:  Remote Start questions Reply with quote

Who has one? How long have you had it installed? How often do you use it? Any problems with it or the car?

I want to get on installed on the imp but im hesitant because the one that was installed on my grand am shorted the computer. I dont want to run into the same problems but i did love not having to go outside in winter to start the car.
stu89
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 0.05

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:09 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I have a Compustar 2 way Alarm/starter. I have only had it installed for a few months, but the starter works great with no issues as of yet. I work outside so when its time to go home, its nice to have a warm vehicle to go to, and its been nice especially this past week.

Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.71

2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:23 am    Post subject:  Re: Remote Start questions Reply with quote

Inferno03LS wrote:
Who has one? How long have you had it installed? How often do you use it? Any problems with it or the car?

I want to get on installed on the imp but im hesitant because the one that was installed on my grand am shorted the computer. I dont want to run into the same problems but i did love not having to go outside in winter to start the car.

Who installed it in the GA? You, or a reputable stereo/aftermarket installer?

Stereo Advantage in Williamsville (Northern suburb of Buffalo) does a great job with installs, and offers extended warranties on almost all of their products. They installed a keyless entry/remote start system in my Explorer a few years back and I never had an issue with it.

Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.57

2004 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Nissan Maxima

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:08 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

i have a python 990 in my car... ive had it for about 2 years now and i love it. i use it daily especially now that its cold. i havent really had any issues with the start itself other than sometimes my car wont start. its not the remote starts problem though. sometimes when i crank my car it acts like it doesnt want to start then does. the remote start..tries to start it to a point but only goes so long on the start sequence before it assumes the car is on. i doubt its a problem you will run into and doesnt really bother me as it only happens once in a blue moon. just thought i would share all that Laughing

LittleRock wrote:

It's just like pulling out. It's very tricky and isnt an exact science, but sometimes you just know.

helldorado wrote:
I can always tell when Wedebrook is around. Smells like sex and shame in here.
Specter
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.48

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I've got a viper system in mine. Not sure the model off the top of my head...but it's the next step down from the one with the mile long range.

It's been installed for alittle over a year now and I only use it during the winter.

No huge problem. However, they attached a pin under the hood as a safety precaution (car will not start using the remote while the hood is open.) When I installed my CAI, the box hit the wire and broke from the pin. The starter thought the hood was always open after that. It fixed itself for about 3 months, but now the connection is rusted and fell off. So I'm out of a remote start until I get the pin replaced.

Inferno03LS
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.43

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Cadillac Escalade

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject:  Re: Remote Start questions Reply with quote

BuffaloSS wrote:
Inferno03LS wrote:

Who installed it in the GA? You, or a reputable stereo/aftermarket installer?

Stereo Advantage in Williamsville (Northern suburb of Buffalo) does a great job with installs, and offers extended warranties on almost all of their products. They installed a keyless entry/remote start system in my Explorer a few years back and I never had an issue with it.

I had it installed by ziebart . If i do it again im going to take it to another shop
Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.59

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Had an Audiovox Prestige in the SS, 5 years, no issues, installed by Auto Sound & Security on Long Island.

Had a DEI Valet in the LS. 3 years, no issues, installed by dealership (I was a sucker)

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.04

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I have 2 Compustars installed in my vehicles, a 1-way and a 2-way, no problems at all. The installer did not install the pins under the hood. I asked why and was told they rust and cause problems. There is a warning under the hood and I always remind my mechanic, hasn't been a problem yet.

Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

Posts per day: 2.36

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Viper 5900 or 7900, I forget which. It's a two-way system and works fine, once the installation issues were fixed. Now I just have to find the remote so I can use it again this winter Rolling Eyes

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
2nd2no1

Posts per day: 0

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject:  remote start Reply with quote

I have the Viper 791 XV w/2 way pager and worth every penny. I had it since 2005 never had any problems. I can only say find someone who knows what there doing and you should be fine.
EricJ
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.24

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2007 Ford Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

My Inlaws gave us an Avital 4113 just today. Geez it's going to be hard to start it normally come summer. Or get in my mom's Buick when I change the oil and have to start it. Embarassed
ScottMPala
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.5

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Tony wrote:
I have 2 Compustars installed in my vehicles, a 1-way and a 2-way, no problems at all. The installer did not install the pins under the hood. I asked why and was told they rust and cause problems. There is a warning under the hood and I always remind my mechanic, hasn't been a problem yet.

I have a 2 way compustar in my 03 and a 1 way on my 04. They used a mercury switch on mine so it doesn't start when the hood is open. Only issue i have had is when i autostart i have to wait about 15 seconds to turn on h.i.d.s after getting in or i will have a service warning

Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.24

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2007 Ford Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:12 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I checked with the installer about the doors not unlocking after I started it. He said it's a seperate part and such. The part is $50 odd, then labor (not much?); about the same a remote would cost from dealer or parts place. So I'd probably just go with him. I like the small transmitter as though I collect keychains, I don't like to have the collection in my pocket or my ignition switch.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: