NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

Briggs Auto Group - Discount GM Parts & Accessories NAIOA Advertising
NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Squeak when turning left
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Squeak when turning left

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverSS06
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.07

2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject:  Squeak when turning left Reply with quote

Over the past week or so when I turn left I get a squeaking noise coming from the front end. It sounds just like the noise you would get if you get a squeaky cart at the grocery store with it squeaking at a certain point in one of the wheels rotation. Im not sure what this could be. When I turn right it doesnt squeak. When I go straight I ususally dont hear it but it does sometime and i can nudge the wheel right and then it will stop. Also it doesnt do it all the time which is the stange part. Seems to me that it only does it once the car gets warm and I'm 99% sure its coming from the outside of the car.

Ive searched on here and found this: http://www.naioa.com/v2/module.....mp;start=0

but I dont think this is the problem Im having. Any suggestions or thoughts

Thanks

06 Impala SS: K & N CAI, Res Delete, Flowmaster Super 40's, TBS, Flipped Motor Mount, Billet Grille, Kenwood HD545U headunit, 10,000K HIDS, Diablo Performance 91 Octane No DOD Tune,
ad0726
Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.54

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Chevrolet Malibu
1983 Datsun Patrol
2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I think is the power steering pump, but also check the brake pads, they can cause a very loud squeak.
schim2001

Posts per day: 0.01

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Time for new brake pads. Almost certain that's what it is. And to be a little more detailed, it's probably the driver's side pad that's worn down so far and squeeling. (judging by the way the wheel is turned when it makes the noise..)

The reason it does this when the car is warm, is because the warmer the car, the longer you've been driving it, so the hotter the brake pads. Just my 2 cents.
chibiblacksheep
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.81

2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2007 Chevrolet Impala
1968 Chevrolet Camaro
2013 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Not sure if they changed it for that style, but a lot of times when there's squeaking and only turning a certain way, it could be a wheel hub assembly.

Which when turning left would be your RIGHT assembly, and turning right would be the LEFT assembly.

But the brakes theory also sounds good to me. Can you do a visual test through those Rims of yours?

Master Level
Master Level
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 1.38

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:19 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Don't start changing stuff until you figure it out... that gets expensive.

I had my car in the shop today. Needed an oil change and new tires (we had wet weather this past weekend, which I kind of went sideways coming off of an overpass; nowhere near Lincolnís head on the penny). But for a while, I've been listening to a very annoying noise. It started about when my suspension was redone, and came from the rear. With 104,000 miles, I figured it was the hubs, since the fronts went about a year ago. The guys that are in the security post at school have been giving my s*** about it for some time... being it really sounds like the car is a POS.

When I got home from class, I looked at the price... it was what I expected for my tires, as well as the oil change. Scratching my head, I read further down, "Noise caused by rock stuck in brake assembly. Removed, inspected, and no damage found."

Letís say I was half as ambitious as some of the other guys on this site (compliment Wink), I would have likely wasted the money for the hubs, as well as time.

racerman51
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.11

2002 Chevrolet Impala
1995 Pontiac G5
2006 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:01 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I also had a weird squeal coming from the driver's side for a little while and it turned out to be a little bracket that was rubbing on the back side of the rotor..I couldn't see it with the tire off as when the tire was off,the rotor was nowhere near this bracket..the only way i could find it was after I did the front pads and rotors and then saw the rub marks on that bracket..that bracket is kind of small,made out of sheet metal and I just bent it back about 3 inches and no more noise!!

schim2001

Posts per day: 0.01

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

As a newbie to this site, I appreciate all of the back handed compliments I can get...thanks Screwball Laughing

I still have a hard time believing that a rock or a bracket would only rub when the car is warm. His initial explanation says it only does this when the car is warm, not when its cold. Maybe it is doing this all the time and gets louder while driving... from my experience, the hotter the brake pads, the louder the squeal when they are worn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: