NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - door locks?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

door locks?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 PCM/Engine Computer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spankthaspeedbump
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.05

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:01 am    Post subject: Question door locks? Reply with quote

i'm hopping this is not my BCM starting to go bad but heres my problem...

ok so i have gotten on the motis a few times before and seen a code for the door locks, command to long. not sure what this ment, i cleared it and went on my marry way. i have never noticed any kind of issue with my door locks so i wasn't concerned.

then yesterday as me and the wife where out X-mas shopping, when we got the the mall we got out and i locked the doors with my key fob, i always lock it twice, the horn beeped as usual but i noticed i didn't hear he doors actually lock, as i always do. so i went to the car pulled the handle and the door opened and the alarm sounded. i hit the unlock and shut off the alarm. curious i hit the lock button in the car, nothin happened. so i put the key in the ignition and turned it to run, figuring well maybe it is a security issue and it would reset it. hit the door locks with it in the on position... nothin... so i reached to all doors and manually locked them. when i got out i hit the lock button to set the alarm but still heard no door locks.

so once we get done spending my entire pay check and then some... and return to the car. i hit the unlock button and the horn sounds 3 times, odd as it has never sounded more then twice on unlock. along with that it did not unlock the doors... so i unlock with the key get in and drive to our next stop, get out and the doors lock and unlock fine. and only two beeps on the unlock. again get in and drive to another place.... when i go to get out the doors are locked, check and make sure i am in park as this has happened before where the doors don't unlock cuz i'm not fully in park. but no i was fully in park, hit the unlock button on the door and got nothin, tried the fob and still got nothin. so we manually unlock the door, leave and the fob still does not lock the doors. come back awhile later and the unlock works, i hear the locks click...

i have tonight hit the lock button on the fob and about 3 seconds after heard the doors lock, odd... i'm hoping there is a simple solenoid i can replace and thats the issue. if it's the BCM i am gunna be super P***ed off. i have never had any security lights, or had to wait to start if for another BCM related issue.

any ideas guys? sorry so long and probly confusing...

Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.37

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Chevrolet Malibu
1983 Datsun Patrol
2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:24 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

three chirps will be heard to indicate an alarm condition has occurred since last arming.
Before you think about a bad BCM, check the fuses on the drivers side fuse block, check for all of the BCM related fuses specially the DR LK fuse, if the fuses are O.K. try to make a security relearn, if this doesn't work, you might have a bad BCM.
Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.79

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The security relearn has nothing to do with the doors locking; it will only help with a Passlock (ignition security) issue.

whitelightnin04MC
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

Posts per day: 1.61

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2009 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I had this happen on my 01 MC and it was definitely the BCM. The FET or whatever it was inside the BCM blew up. If you remove the BCM and pop it open, you can see the blown up FET.

This is what I saw when I opened mine up:

Resident Prick, at your service.
SS - Corsa Catback, RT 3" DP, CC T304 PLOG, Wizaired, ZZP Offset Polys, GMPP Koni Kit, Hella Projectrofits, PT, ZZP HVTB, 10.4's
bbengineer
NAIOA Owner / Webmaster
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.13

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Chevrolet Corvette
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe
2008 Subaru Impreza
1970 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Unfortunately, this case actually sounds like it could be the BCM...

Do all of the door lock motors behave the same, or is it a single door that is behaving badly?

BBEngineer

Decisions...Decisions...
spankthaspeedbump
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

all the same.

the BCM is a mother to get to and swap correct?

and would it really be so intermittent if it was a problem with the BCM??? once it went wouldn't that just be it? no more? how can it work sometimes and not others?

NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.66

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Getting to the BCM and swapping in a new one is easy. The problem is when it comes to getting it programmed with a tech 2.

This is a 500 dollar+ job unless you are lucky enough to find a shop that will drag a tech 2 out to the parking lot or push your car into the service bay to program it.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
bbengineer
NAIOA Owner / Webmaster
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.13

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Chevrolet Corvette
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe
2008 Subaru Impreza
1970 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

How do the locks work if you use the switches inside the car? Do they behave just like w/ the FOBs?

Electronics can always be intermittent... there are so many contributing factors that cause failures, it's hard to say why

The BCM is easy to get to, hard to replace only because it has to be programmed w/ a Tech II before the car will start

BBEngineer

Decisions...Decisions...
whitelightnin04MC
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

Posts per day: 1.61

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2009 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Your problem will probably start out intermittently and end up a complete failure. When I had the problem, I'm pretty sure that the locks had to be locked manually. The switches inside didn't even work.

Resident Prick, at your service.
SS - Corsa Catback, RT 3" DP, CC T304 PLOG, Wizaired, ZZP Offset Polys, GMPP Koni Kit, Hella Projectrofits, PT, ZZP HVTB, 10.4's
spankthaspeedbump
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:30 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

pretty much, if the fob does not work, neither do the buttons inside that car.

it just sucks cuz it works perfect one time, then the next it's all F****D up. pretty sure i just woke up all my neighbor at 330 in the morning when i just came home... they are already pissy sayin my exhaust wakes them up in the morning... BS. oh well...

i didn't bother to check fuses for two reasons...

number one... if it was a fuse it would not work at all correct? being there is no power going through the blown fuse.

number two... i just plain haven't had time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 PCM/Engine Computer All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: