NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Alternator bolts
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Alternator bolts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RJD357

Posts per day: 0

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Question Alternator bolts Reply with quote

Hello. I'm new here.

I'm replacing the LIM on my 2001 3.4 Impala. I'm mostly done, but I'm having a problem with, of all things, the alternator.

I got the mounting bolts mixed up.

There are 4 bolts, 3 normal ones of 3 different lengths, 1 with a shorter/thinner head and a blunt tip.

I used the blunt tip to mount the cast aluminum bracket to the head on the back side of the engine.

I used the long normal bolt on the left rear to attach the alt to the bracket.

I used the short normal bolt on the right rear to attach the alt to the bracket.

I used the medium normal bolt at the front of the alt at the pivot point, but there are no threads there.

Did I misplace a nut to secure the bolt at the pivot point, or have I got this install all screwed up?

Any help, especially a close up picture of the bolt at the pivot would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob
Bio
Cadet
Cadet

Posts per day: 0.02

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IIRC, there should be 2 that are the same length, they go in the back of the alternator, then the long one goes in under tha ALT, with a nut on it at the back of the ALT. the 4th one (the shortest one?) goes in toward the top/front of the alt and threads into a support bracket..

I could be wrong .. if so hopefully someone will chime in. I just had mine off a week or so ago but its not here to look at right now.
RJD357

Posts per day: 0

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: Idea  Reply with quote

Thanks Bio. I figured it out tonight. There is a bracket on the stud on the UIM. The blunt tipped bolt goes into that bracket. When I posted the question the UIM and the bracket were still on the garage floor. Once all the pieces were there it made more sense.

Rob
Bio
Cadet
Cadet

Posts per day: 0.02

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject: Idea  Reply with quote

RJD357 wrote:
Thanks Bio. I figured it out tonight. There is a bracket on the stud on the UIM. The blunt tipped bolt goes into that bracket. When I posted the question the UIM and the bracket were still on the garage floor. Once all the pieces were there it made more sense.

It usually does Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: