NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Intermediate Steering Shaft Easy Fix
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Intermediate Steering Shaft Easy Fix
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnnylakis
Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.28

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2008 Honda Accord

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject:  Intermediate Steering Shaft Easy Fix Reply with quote

I posted this on General Impala Discussion, but I think it should be here since many of us are having this problem. If the Administrators don''t want a double post, I am sorry, please delete. But I dont want Chevy dealers taking any more of our money!

From http://millenniumimpala.netfir....._lube.html

Italics are my (Johnnylakis) comments: I went thru all the "easy steps" below, but I did''nt spray the white lithium grease into the shaft because I could still see the GM lube from the last time I had it done. Let me say this, it is easier than it sounds!!!! Dont pay the dealer $100 to lube it for you. I will do it for free!

From Elmer on 09/29/04:
I used the easy method! But instead of the GM lub I used spray lithium based grease and put wheel bearing grease on the universal. Within two days the “clicking” completely stopped! If it comes back I plan on using my air compressor to force the lubrication down the ISS by using flex hose. Chevy wanted $400 to “fix” there mistake. Using your method it cost @ $.40! Thanks!

11/15/04
I followed up on this a few months later, the clicking is still gone.
Petrie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Easy Way: 20 Minutes (what some dealerships do)
1. Turn the steering wheel from center 1/4 turn left so that you can more easily access the ISS yoke.
(Turn the steering wheel from center 1/2 turn left (upside down) so that you can more easily access the upper bolt on the ISS.)

2. Remove the black trim panel, disconnect the light and then remove the fuse panel cover. Remove two screws holding the lower dash panel, pull to the rear of the car and away from the dash. If you try to move it up or down and not straight back you risk breaking the tabs. Unplug the trunk switch to remove the panel from the car.
3. Pull back the black boot that covers the ISS and spray the grease down into the opening.
4. Reassemble the lower dash.
5. Drive, be happy.

If you want the hard way instructions (remove ISS) let me know. Just say no to giving Chevy our hard earned money.

rhinorocker
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Diamond Contributor (Amount: 1) Diamond Contributor

Posts per day: 1.18

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 3:20 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

i made this a sticky, thanks man, this should help alot of people out
1ImpalaLS02
Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.45

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 9:03 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

glad you made this a sticky. I''m sure at some point this is going to come in very handy.

Canadaman
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.06

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject:  does a 2002 chevy venture have the same problem Reply with quote

My friend has a 2002 chevy venture. He has the same type of problem. i was just wondering if this vehicle has had the same problem.
redimpulse
Master Level
Master Level

Posts per day: 0.78

2001 Chevrolet Impala
1990 Chevrolet Silverado
2008 Mitsubishi Lancer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I would venture to say yes, as the Impala and Venture share some of the components.
Have him check it out.

Member Level
Member Level

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2008 Honda Accord

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject:  Re: does a 2002 chevy venture have the same problem Reply with quote

Canadaman wrote:
My friend has a 2002 chevy venture. He has the same type of problem. i was just wondering if this vehicle has had the same problem.
I have the ISS Lube instruction sheet, the Chevy Venture is not listed. Listed are the Monte Carlo, Impala, and Cavalier.

TeddyBearSal
Cadet
Cadet

Posts per day: 0.01

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject:  EASY ISS LUBE TEMP SOLUTION.....DRAWINGS??? Reply with quote

HEY, the ISS "easy lube solutionn" sounds great, but can someone post a drawing or photgraph that shows the exact location of the boot that covers the ISS....If i pull back the console...will I see only one boot (ISS boot)? ...If so then I guess I can find it myself........As for others who use the "easy lube method"....how often do you use this method??

redimpulse
Master Level
Master Level

Posts per day: 0.78

2001 Chevrolet Impala
1990 Chevrolet Silverado
2008 Mitsubishi Lancer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

There''s only one boot, a big black relatively thin rubber one that looks like it connects to the firewall. If you pull it back, you''ll see a joint. That is the ISS poking through the firewall. Just shoot the lube down in the center per instructions above.

I did mine in April, haven''t had to do it again yet (about 25K miles).

Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject:  Noob question about the "Easy 20 minute ISS lube method Reply with quote

Do i need to disconnect the alarm system... I wouldn''t think so,,,but I just want to be sure...Thanks........I''m going to give this a try today..........Also...any recommended lubes...Should I go for the GM LUBE....or the other one suggested....the spray lithium based lube.......Also..another member mentioned spraying the "universal"...keeping in mind that I''m an auto noob....is the Universal easily accessable?...would it really help with the clunking in my ISS?......thanks for all your help.

johnnylakis
Member Level
Member Level

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2008 Honda Accord

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject:  Re: Noob question about the "Easy 20 minute ISS lube me Reply with quote

Do i need to disconnect the alarm system NO
any recommended lubes the spray lithium based lube
Let us know if u see a difference

Last edited by johnnylakis on Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:33 pm; edited 3 times in total
slb785
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.22

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

helps a lot. i did this months ago and havent heard anything since. I used a spray can of White lithium grease

Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject:  IMPALA NOOB DID HIS FIRST "20 MINUTE ISS LUBE JOB" Reply with quote

yes..i do realize I said "lube job"...well...VERY nice results...not hard at all....the issue with the plastic dash cover under the steering column wasn''t really a problem. I just used a stuby flat head screw driver to pop out the clips...i know...foolish...but it worked fine...What I found to be most difficult was something that no one mentioned...While I was trying to spray the White Lithium Greese (which only cost like $3.50) my little red spray straw/tube used to direct the spray more efficiently, kept getting cought up in the wires under the steering column..The little bugger kept falling off..something like 8 to 10 times on my count...annoying, but not really troublesome....But yeah. I noticed a dramatic difference the moment I started driving it....was like steering a car made of silk....heavenly....There was some VERY minor residual noise and VERY slight clunky feel after about 30 minutes of driving, but nothing close to what it used to be...I hope the lube will work its way through the ISS crevices within a few days.....Is that really the problem with our ISS''s? ...Is it just a lube issue, or is lubing it only masking a real problem underneath?.....Also I found a mess of wires under the steering column..the previous owners of .my 2001 LS, moded it into a police vehicle so I think the mechanics simply threw all kinds of wiring in there...here''s a pic of what I had to deal with and what I had to manuver my little red spray straw through..

NOT AS PRETTY AS IT LOOKS...

slb785
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.22

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:30 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

OMG! Shocked Shocked Shocked

My car has one wire that is for the light down there. I can remove that bottom panel by just pressing in the 2 tabs on it then it drops out.

Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:54 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

can you believe that I also found a MICROPHONE in there....I posted it up on the A.V. club section....Wierd..no one seems to know why its there...Its even been suggested that it might be BROADCASTING!!!!.....I need to do some investigating...I''m kind of paranoid right now......ACTUALLY ...THIS IS GETTING A LITTLE OFF TOPIC FROM THE PURPOSE OF THIS PARTICULAR POST/STICKY...LETS STOP DISCUSSING THIS HERE...THANKS

MIC

CLOSER MIC

TeddyBearSal
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject:  UPDATE ON "20 MINUTE ISS LUBE JOB" Reply with quote

Well, as expected, the white lythium grease worked great...there is no more noise or popping noise coming out of my ISS anymore....Am so happy....for most, I expect that this is the solution to this problem..other than replacement.....And could someone answer my previous question....Is this really the only problem causing the ISS to feeling like its popping/cracking/ whatever you call it?l...Is it really just a lube issue?....please respond.....

"THE 20 MINUTE ISS LUBE JOB WORKS!!!"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: